What could you do with Venture of 24 " Dish 16 ft

Discussion of large prime focus satellite dishes used for C-Band signal reception.
JDavid22
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

What could you do with Venture of 24 " Dish 16 ft

Post by JDavid22 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:32 pm

Hello good day, could someone help me ... I have a 16 "antenna enough for the entire arc from my location at 99 ° W the question is from my position until satellites could track with my 24" actuator and consider the following : Here the polar mount of many antennas including mine are adjusted (manufactured) to place the Actuator on the right side of the antenna looking at the back, I understand that I should go to the left side if I want to run from 40w to 133? With the current inconvenience of using the actuator on the right side how far could it go? I am grateful in advance...

Tags:

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Re: What could you do with Venture of 24 " Dish 16 ft

Post by tvroadmin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:45 pm

It will depend on your dish mount style, but 24" is probably too small for a 16 footer. I'm guessing you'll get 60 degrees of travel before it flops over, so you are looking at 133W - 70W. Get yourself a 36" or 48" actuator and you should be able to drive that beast of a dish down to 40W. :razz:
Administrator
([email protected])

JDavid22
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by JDavid22 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:19 pm

Not even placing the Actuator on the left side? I'm interested in more than 40w towards 133w. I am located at 99 ° longitude

Installation style? It refers to the length of the mast? Mount the mast at 8 ft.

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:11 pm

If you can try welding a steel tab on the left side so you can drive the dish starting from east to west. There is nothing past 133 west anyways, so you are better off trying to get the atlantic birds between 20 west to 40.5 west. Some interesting feeds and programs pop up here from time to time.

You will still need a long jack though. I use a 36" for my 12 footer and I can track 30w - 133w without any problems. Sometimes I take it down to 15w to check out the ku feeds, but I am reluctant to do this often. The more extended the jack the weaker it becomes. When completely retracted, the outer and inner tubes become one and take all the wind forces together, which means a stronger actuator and less chance of a malfunction.

Can you post a picture of your dish? I'd love to have a 16 footer... :bigsmoke:
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

JDavid22
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by JDavid22 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:51 am

I still do not install it ... I am gathering everything necessary even so the Actuator will stop me here in Mexico to get a good actuator is very difficult just buying it away from home in the USA or Canada, in fact I bought an engine to try to repair a 30 "arm and surprise! This Arm is a venture and I bought for a SuperJack they are very different so now I am looking better to buy a new 36" arm or continue the search for a Replacement (Actuator motor) The antenna also bought it from use was very broken which I have been repairing with mesh and the occasional steel rod to repair the aluminum structure, then look for additional 4 "tube to raise the antenna to 8 feet all this is a lot of time and work but every day I get closer to the objective, with the help they have given me it is how I have been clarifying many things, there I read that it was easier to orient an antenna for Band C than for Ku type offset this is totally false if the antenna is out of adjustment there is what e calculate not only correct azimuth orientation elevation declination adjustment of the skew ratio f / d focal point .... No this is more complicated. Friends later that I have my antenna on and provisionally place the 30 "actuator, I will take pictures to share my work. Good day, thank you again.

JDavid22
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by JDavid22 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:52 pm

This is my polar mount, as you can see, has several holes that can be used to extend the antenna further eastwards? Without this causing any danger or failure in the Actuator?
Attachments
20191010_191357.jpg

Wilis
TVRO Veteran
TVRO Veteran

Post by Wilis » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:16 am

That polar mount seems mighty small for a 16 footer

JDavid22
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by JDavid22 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:41 am

I had never had an antenna of this size so close except the one I acquired, it has 6 petals and each petal measures approximately 2.5 meters from end to end, so I deduced that it is 16 feet. My question was whether those holes can help extend the arc length more from west to east. Now I have no idea where to measure the size of an actuator, but the one I have today is completely retracted and measures 30 ".

JDavid22
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by JDavid22 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:21 pm

I've finally taken the time to start putting together my antenna ... this has been something difficult to do and I'm not done yet.

I hope for the next weekend to finish completely. Thank you all for your valuable help.
Attachments
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:11 pm

OMG! That is one HUGE dish. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

You will be able to receive many out-of-footprint signals with that thing. Definitely everything in North and South America and possibly Western Europe. You will be the satellite King in your town. The natives will surely be gathering to worship your dish soon... :bow: :bow: :bow:

Use the strongest actuator arm you can find and fabricate a jumbo sized actuator plate to get maximum leverage and tracking distance. Be sure to let us know which satellites you can scan!
Administrator
([email protected])

Return to “Dish Antennas”