16 foot antenna .... efficiency equivalent to 6 feet

Discussion of large prime focus satellite dishes used for C-Band signal reception.
JDavid22
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

16 foot antenna .... efficiency equivalent to 6 feet

Post by JDavid22 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:43 am

Hello Goodnight,

Again here consulting the experts ... I've been trying to achieve the maximum performance of my antenna for a few days, adjusting elevation, over elevation, f / d ratio, focal point and true south and I can't get more than an efficiency of my antenna equivalent to one of 6 feet (before I had oriented several offset of this size) now taking pictures the only thing and it is my personal observation that the feedhorn is possibly pointing outside the center of the antenna, except for your best opinion and advice, someone could help me Please improve my installation ... Your friend from Mexico thanks you in advance.
Attachments
20191118_112123.jpg

skink
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: 16 foot antenna .... efficiency equivalent to 6 feet

Post by skink » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:36 am

Wow!Just looking at your photo and can see the feedhorn is "wonky" for starters.I would try to get this component inline and set the proper focal length first,then go from there.The dish you have is quite the beast.

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by dishcrank » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:06 pm

You may also want to do a string test to be sure the reflector isn't warped and also to find your focal point. Sure is a beast of dish and needs to perform like it too. My God, the feed must be 20 feet in the air, how do you get up there to adjust it? :mrgreen:

JDavid22
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by JDavid22 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:52 pm

It refers to measuring the diameter and depth of the antenna at several points? I will do it as soon as I have time, this antenna size makes me work overtime! I have every time I move the feedhorn to find its best gain or skew = 0 at its highest, ufff this is very difficult to do alone ... the antenna I got it at a very low price and it was very deteriorated, you can see some folded edges due to the same misuse, I will try to make it easier and trying to correct the bad alignment of the lnb with the center of the antenna and then do the same string test ... I hope you are correct about this issue. Thank you very much for your comments.

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor

Post by tek2000 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:16 pm

All,

If you ever dreamed about owning a HUGE satellite dish, not unlike the one discussed in this thread, we now sell 15-ft mesh antennas. Prices start in the low $3,000 USD.

We make dreams come true. :beer
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America
[email protected]
(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

JDavid22
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by JDavid22 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:35 pm

Hello good morning, it seems that I found the faults or faults ... It was assumed that the base of the antenna from where the antenna elevation is measured (this is a square) should have the same elevation on its sides considering its most high, but it does not have a difference of about 1 degree which I was compensating with the other base that supports the antenna and from where the tps decline of 105w is measured with 49% quality now give 66% but if I travel more to the center of the north-south axis, the quality of the 101w and 103w satellites is still too low, perhaps thinking of an excess of elevation? or the decline? I keep trying to correct these mistakes.

I got my antenna second hand is handmade but I will try to get the most out of it.

Return to “Dish Antennas”