FTA OMT Controller

Discussions about low-noise blocks, waveguides, horns and other components used at the prime focus of your reflector dish.
Foxcreek
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

FTA OMT Controller

Post by Foxcreek » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi All,

Have you ever wondered how much your FTA-ing might be improved with a really good
commercial LNB ? You don't really believe those spec's on those ultra cheap FTA LNBF's !
Well I've always wondered too so I built the FTA OMT Controller. See attachments.
This device allows you to utilize an OMT ( Orthomode Transducer ) and switch between
2 LNB's ( Horiz. / Vert. ) utilizing the 13 / 18 volt FTA polarity switching protocol. The
LNB's use an external 20 Volt power supply not the 13/18 volts coming out of your receiver
that is used only to select the appropriate LNB.

The difference in performance using Norsat's +/- 5Khz. L.O. stability is significant particularly
on lower symbol rate TP's.

Foxcreek
Last edited by Foxcreek on Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

skink
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: FTA OMT Controller

Post by skink » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:17 pm

I use an orthomode feedhorn and Norsat 8115 lnbs on my 2.4 dish and even though the reflector is not the best,I can receive transponders that some with 10 footers have trouble with.Ortho is the way to go.I hope to get some PLL lnbs one day.

Foxcreek
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Foxcreek » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:03 am

skink,

Hi..... Currently on ebay there are some C band Norsat's ( PLL +/- 250 Khz. ) for

$88.00. Their model 5250 , these are what I'm using on my C band 7.5 ft Sami.

Of course I'm using the Chaparral OMT with the FTA OMT Controller. This set-up

out performs most 10 footers. People don't usually believe this until they try it themselves !

Most FTA LNBF's are a joke !

Foxcreek

rusty
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by rusty » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:58 pm

Very interesting Foxcreek...Did you design the LNB electronics yourself or are you coupling the signals to a commercial LNB?
12' Cosmos Primestar (refurbished)36" SuperJack Actuator
Chaparral Corotor Feed (Norsat 8115, 4106A)
ZGemmaH7 UHD, OctagonSX88 HD, Edision UHD, DSR-6000, DSR-6050
Clarke Belt: 22W - 133W

Foxcreek
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: FTA OMT Controller Version 2.0

Post by Foxcreek » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:24 pm

All,

Here's the latest version of the FTA OMT Controller.

Foxcreek
Attachments
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0244.JPG

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:53 pm

Nice job!

Are you planning to sell them?
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

Foxcreek
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Foxcreek » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:43 pm

Fatso,

The newest version is the one in the smaller package. The bigger box is the prototype.
I've had the prototype on ebay for about a month now, I've received a lot of tire kickers
but no buyers. I thought it would generate more interest however the folks out there that
can appreciate it have usually built their own.

I don't want to sound like I'm bragging but the newest version is really commercial quality
very well designed and built and really performs well. I've built in all the necessary adjustments
to make it compatible with all FTA receivers utilizing the 13/ 18 volt switching protocol.
If your interested in the design details I describe it over on www.legalfreetoair.com.

Foxcreek

jess76
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by jess76 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Interesting; I have seen controlers for those of us that still use a polorotor feedhorn. It uses the 13/18 to control the polorotor on the feedhorn. It also has skew control. Nice idea to control a dual or quad feed with lnb's. I agree that the lnb'f are not a good preformer. I still use a c/ku/with a polorotor. It comes in handy if you need to do a little skew adjusting. Your product looks nice but the price is a little hefty. Just my opinion though. Jess out in California
9' mesh with c/ku feed horn,lnb's w/polorotor. Recievers hooked up: AZ prem hd., Pansat9500,and Manhattan. I have a few others in my colection including an old Satcruiser and a Captiveworks3000.

Foxcreek
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Foxcreek » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Jess76,

Just to give you some perspective regarding price....... I mentioned that the heart of the controller
is a high quality 75 Ohm coaxial relay...... Try to find one for under $250 - $300 !

I'm not talking about that POS from Sadoun or a used one on ebay !

So the fact that I can put a unit of this quality together for a retail price of $300.00 is outstanding !

Although this controller is designed for FTA it shouldn't be mistaken for typical FTA quality. Thats the
point of it...... it allows you to step up to commercial quality LNB's.

Foxcreek

jess76
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by jess76 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:06 am

I didn't mean to downplay your achievement, but most of us use what we can afford. If cost wasn't a factor for me I would want the best; biggest dish, best lnb's ect. For myself, this is just a way of watching TV after the shut down of the 4dtv subscription. I use what I have to recieve what I can that is still free, with a small dish sub for my wife so she can watch what she want's. Jess out in California
9' mesh with c/ku feed horn,lnb's w/polorotor. Recievers hooked up: AZ prem hd., Pansat9500,and Manhattan. I have a few others in my colection including an old Satcruiser and a Captiveworks3000.

Return to “Feed Systems”