Massive cord-cutting continues

Discussions about the latest digital satellite tv industry news.
rusty
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Massive cord-cutting continues

Post by rusty » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:49 am

Wow, just wow, it won't stop. A million people officially cut the cord over the past 90 days alone.

A million people cut the cord in the last 3 months, and cable companies are worried
Chris Mills - October 31st, 2017 at 5:23 PM
ccbgr.jpg
Cord-cutting, or at least the speed at which people are ditching pay TV, is on track to be the biggest upset of the year. There’s finally a collection of cheap-ish streaming services widely available, and as you’d imagine, people are jumping ship from cable as fast as humanly possible.

The latest bad data points come from the Q3 earnings of all the big cable companies, which are mostly now public. DSLReports added up the damage, and it makes for bad reading if you’re a cable company exec.

“Only five of the seven biggest pay TV providers have released their third quarter subscriber data, but collectively these companies saw a net loss of 632,000 pay TV subscribers during the period (385,000 for AT&T and DirecTV, 125,000 for Comcast, 104,000 for Charter, 18.000 for Verizon FiOS TV),” DSL wrote. When you add in the un-reported numbers from Dish and Altice, that number will be near-as-makes-no-different 1 million.

To put that in perspective, a survey suggested last year that there were around 16 million cord-cutters in the US. Adding another million to that in Q3 alone shows just how fast the industry is changing.

Cable TV companies are struggling to adapt. AT&T is a prime example: the company has successfully launched DirecTV Now, one of the better internet-only streaming services. But the base package is $40, way less than the $100 that families traditionally spend on a cable bundle. Worse, AT&T is currently giving away DirecTV Now for $10 to wireless subscribers, meaning it’s not making them any real money at the moment.

Fundamentally, the market is transitioning from a series of regional monopolies to a competitive national market. You can already buy streaming TV from AT&T, YouTube, Hulu, Fubo, or Sling, and those services are available in most markets nationwide. It’s no coincidence that $40 a month is the standard price for around 50 channels — that’s about what it costs to sell the service, plus minor overheads for technology and customer service. Streaming TV is going to mean cheaper TV, which is fantastic and long-overdue for consumers, but awful for the bottom line of cable TV providers.
http://bgr.com/2017/10/31/cord-cutting- ... u-youtube/

http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/million- ... -3-months/
12' Cosmos Primestar (refurbished)36" SuperJack Actuator
Chaparral Corotor Feed (Norsat 8115, 4106A)
ZGemmaH7 UHD, OctagonSX88 HD, Edision UHD, DSR-6000, DSR-6050
Clarke Belt: 22W - 133W

Wilsondrake

Re: Massive cord-cutting continues

Post by Wilsondrake » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:23 am

Well to be honest cord cutting is increasing at a very fast pace. And I came across something over which stated that the users are frustrated with paying high fees associated with cable TV. And 80% Cut the Cord Because Cable TV is Simply Too Expensive. All this leads us to online TV and streaming options which (mark my word) are too many to choose from.

One can opt for online subscription services such as the following:

Sling TV : With Sling TV's streaming services, you get to pick your channel lineup & personalize your TV experience. But it is only available in the US. However it can be accessed using a VPN. The plans starts at $20/ month with 30+ channels.

DirecTV Now: DIRECTV NOW Channel Lineup: 120+ Channels Including ESPN, CNN, ABC, NBC, Fox & more! The packge starts at $35 / month.

Hulu : Watch TV shows and movies online

The list could go on. But another alternate that is totally a free option is to install some media players like Kodi, Stremio, PopcornTime and many more. But these require you to be slightly tech savvy.

Kodi With Kodi you can enjoy unlimited streaming with a lot of customization. You can install addons which scrape latest content from around the web or even just setup some of the best kodi builds which have preinstalled addons such as neptune rising kodi or exodus or DAZN.

Popcorntime It lets you stream torrents instantly. This way you will be able to watch movies online through torrent within popcorntime.

Stremio Well it is something too good to be true. You can watch Netflix, Amazon, Twitch and more content over this media player.

The options for cord cutting are numerous. One can get a specific software or a subscription for your specific needs. Such as Sling TV for Sports while PopcornTime for Movies and TV Shows. Hope that helps. :smile:

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:39 am

Okay, but you forgot about the C-band dish!

Anyone who owns a big dish, will tell you, they get access to more programming content from around the world and in much higher resolution than is possible with any other service. And to top it off, it is FREE.

At the moment, about 1,000 linear TV channels are unscrambled between 30 deg W - 135 deg W. About half of those are in English. Don't believe it? Check for yourself:

https://www.tvrosat.com/advanced_charts.html

Believe it or not, there is even a company (which shall remain unnamed) that relies heavily on public ignorance to sell C-band subscriptions of mostly unscrambled channels. :lol:

As for the streaming services, most charge between $25 - $75 per month (on top of high-speed internet access) for a handful of premium channels. None of these services is profitable and it is rumored that one could even shutdown. To make them profitable, the operators will eventually have to double their prices. Of course, when they do, they will set off another massive wave of cord cutting. :doh

The future of TV belongs to FTA. The PAY-TV era was a transient phenomenon, enabled by a large middle-class demographic in the USA. That middle-class demographic is slowly disappearing due to globalization. As goes the middle-class, so goes PAY-TV.
Administrator
()

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator

Post by tvroadmin » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:23 am

Wilsondrake wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:23 am
DirecTV Now: DIRECTV NOW Channel Lineup: 120+ Channels Including ESPN, CNN, ABC, NBC, Fox & more! The packge starts at $35 / month.
FYI, DirecTV Now pays $30 to the programmers and is left with $5 to pay for bandwidth and delivery. Hardly a profitable business.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/02 ... nable.aspx

Like I said, they will either go out of business or double their prices. If they double their prices, they will have the same problem they do with their satellite service. Too expensive!
Administrator
()

jess76
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by jess76 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:02 pm

Direct ;I'm sure gets the full $35. Direct is owned by AT&T which owns and is in the process of buying even more programming content. They just have to decide which pocket to put the money in! The satellite service[Direct TV] is to shut down by 2020. Dish will be the remaning small dish provider. Jess out in California
9' mesh with c/ku feed horn,lnb's w/polorotor. Recievers hooked up: AZ prem hd., Pansat9500,and Manhattan. I have a few others in my colection including an old Satcruiser and a Captiveworks3000.

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by dishcrank » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:08 am

Sling TV raised its price by 25% to $25 / month. That is a pretty hefty increase considering Dish/Direct only raise their prices by less than 5% every year.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sling-tv-rais ... per-month/

rusty
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by rusty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:34 pm

dishcrank wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:08 am
Sling TV raised its price by 25% to $25 / month. That is a pretty hefty increase considering Dish/Direct only raise their prices by less than 5% every year.
Playstation vue also raising... :boo!

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/playsta ... -packages/
12' Cosmos Primestar (refurbished)36" SuperJack Actuator
Chaparral Corotor Feed (Norsat 8115, 4106A)
ZGemmaH7 UHD, OctagonSX88 HD, Edision UHD, DSR-6000, DSR-6050
Clarke Belt: 22W - 133W

Pianist3
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by Pianist3 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:18 pm

jess76 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:02 pm
Direct ;I'm sure gets the full $35. Direct is owned by AT&T which owns and is in the process of buying even more programming content. They just have to decide which pocket to put the money in! The satellite service[Direct TV] is to shut down by 2020. Dish will be the remaning small dish provider. Jess out in California
Dear jess. I'm ryan from florida. I don't see dtv, stopping satellite soon. Or in 2020. In my area, there is not any cable for the proper streaming speed. I have both dtv, and c band. There is a very large market for dtv out here. I even asked them about the 2020 date. They said its gonna be a much longer time, cause many of the rural counties are not set up on a fiber, or cable system. Unless they can get a grant from the government, to run the lines by mean of power lines. I myself don't want them to stop satellite, cause dish is worse. So time will tell.

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator

Post by tvroadmin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:37 pm

DirecTV is being canned because the programmers won't lower their prices.

http://www.telecompetitor.com/att-ceo-b ... ott-video/
Administrator
()

dl76
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by dl76 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:00 pm

no one should have to pay for tv as long as there is commercial involved. end of story.
:bananna: :bananna: :hammerme:

Return to “Satellite News”