PBS Survey about keeping C and Ku band FTA Feeds

Discussions about the latest digital satellite tv industry news.
fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

PBS Survey about keeping C and Ku band FTA Feeds

Post by fatso » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:53 pm

If you watch PBS on 125W (12180V-30000) or on 103W (4091V-14030) please listen up!

PBS is conducting a survey to find out how many of us watch their programming by satellite. In between programs, they are asking folks to call 1-800-399-0424 to complete a short 4 question survey on how and where you saw the message. Please take the time to call them and let them know you watch their programming using a c-band satellite dish or a smaller ku-band FTA dish. It is being rumored that due to budget constraints, they may be eliminating the c-band feed, the ku-band feed or both. :boo!

If enough of us call them, they may back down. Personally, I hope the ku feed stays because it has both east/west coast feeds, pbs kids and bunch of feeds carrying programming from BBC, Bloomberg, CNN, NHK and others. It would be ashame if we lost all this great programming. For some rural folks, the 125W bird is all the satellite TV they get with a small fixed ku dish because c-band isn't an option for them.

Admin, please make this a sticky. Thanks.
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

Foxcreek
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: PBS Survey about keeping C and Ku band FTA Feeds

Post by Foxcreek » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:49 pm

fatso,
I just got off the phone with the PBS survey. PBS is arguably the best content available.

If it wern't for PBS I'd be up shit creek !

foxcreek :cool2

Z_finigan
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Z_finigan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:22 pm

I just did it also. I like there programming. I see it on c band. I will say from what I understand. I is cheaper to broadcast on c band.
And I have read that little dish is going to lose band with. Since 5g is not going to happen on c band.
And with direct TV talking about ending there use of ku satellite. Dish is the only one left. And the fcc is going after them for unused ku bandwidth
And ku does not have the programming c band does. Also remember. C band satellite is the original satellite dish.
Ku is originally from overseas.

danjorg
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by danjorg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:34 am

one, i prefer the ku-band signals because the c-band dish sizes is too big for my place and too much money :agree

second, i tried the number but it say this number is dis-connected. :boo!

third, when are they going to put good channels in the ku-band feed. :offtopic:

just keep the PBS ku-band feed. :bigsmile

Cnut
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by Cnut » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:16 am

Just called in and took the 4-question survey.

Did my part.

:beermug:

nanirdjeff
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by nanirdjeff » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:18 am

I have called in a completed the survey. Four questions answered.

danjorg
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by danjorg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:40 am

Tried Calling from Canada, just keep saying number been disconnected.

what was the 4 question and did you support ku-band over c-band

Z_finigan
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Z_finigan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:45 pm

The thing about ku satellite. It's mostly made up of temporary feeds. There is almost no good programming available on them.
If it's On ku. You can in most cases get it on c band.

It's funny the reason it did not work out for dish and direct for taking over c band like they did ku. Was they could not control the programmers. Ku they were smart. They knew it would never become what c band did. And it was easy for them to take over. And that's why they like circular signals. So there dished would not work with fta signals.

Dish TV did try to kill c band back in 2010. By buying up a provider and trying to force the people to move to dish. Well they lost there ass on that one. X4 was on ku before it was changed to x4 on c band. At amc 18 at 105w.

And dish is up to it again over seas. I hope they bust again. Wish there was a way to warn the people. Of what is happening and not to listen to the junk dish tells them.

I do have a ku lnb on my c band dish. But 99% of the time it's c band all the way.

I think the ku is going to lose more programming as time goes. Since the only real reason for ku was dish and direct.
Att / direct is saying there ending there dish feeds by 2020.
Which does make sense. Att.has there own network. So streaming does not cost them anything on there network.
Dish will be all by its self on the ku side. And it sounds like there about to lose some bandwidth.
I know the cellphone providers are looking into ku now. Since they lost against c band providers.

Another reason ku will never work for programmers is it's not as dependable. And cost a lot more for transponder time

danjorg
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by danjorg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:27 pm

could that be the end to fta to ku-band satellite along with directv and dish network on satellite.

Pianist3
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by Pianist3 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm

:grin: done and done!! I can't wait till I finish my setup! !

Return to “Satellite News”