Cord Cutting is Growing Faster Than the Numbers Show

Discussions about the latest digital satellite tv industry news.
tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Cord Cutting is Growing Faster Than the Numbers Show

Post by tvroadmin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:58 am

Cord Cutting Is Growing Even Faster Than the Numbers Show
by Luke Bouma on November 28, 2018

Cord-Cutting-image.jpg

Recently we learned that pay-TV services like Comcast, DIRECTV, Spectrum, and others lost over 1.2 million pay-TV subscribers. This works out to over 13,000 people canceling pay TV every day.

The truth is this number only tells half of the story. You must add to that 13,000 the number of people who move out on their own and decided to never get a pay-TV service. On top of that, you must add the hidden cutters.

Who are the hidden cutters? Take the example of three roommates splitting the bill for cable TV at a rented house. If the three roommates decide to move out and get their own places that counts as one cancellation of cable TV but if all three fail to sign up for new cable TV that makes three new cord cutting households.

Now these people are not cord nevers because they had cable TV, but they also do not represent just one cut of the cord. In the past cable companies loved it when people made more money and went from living with roommates to living alone. That meant one cable subscription could become two or three. Now the reverse is happening: one cut of the cord is really two or three cuts.

Another example of this is a divorce. In the past if someone got divorced it often meant a new cable subscriber because the spouse who moved out would sign up for cable TV. Now with money being tight divorce is often a reason people cut the cord. Again, instead of representing one cut of the cord there really are two new cord cutting households.

So how many new cord cutting households are there ever day? There is no way to know, but one thing we do know is it is higher than 13,000. When you add up cord cutters, cord nevers, and what I like to call cord cutting dividers you could be talking about 15,000 or even 16,000 new cord cutters every single day. We may honestly never know the true numbers. What we do know is the American population is growing but the number of pay-TV subscribers keeps dropping.
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/cord-cu ... bers-show/
Administrator
([email protected])

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
Articles: 0

Re: Cord Cutting is Growing Faster Than the Numbers Show

Post by tek2000 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:32 am

All,

Pay TV is headed the way of the dodo. :mrgreen:

If you own your own land, install a 10-ft dish and don't look back. There are already over a dozen full-time 4K channels (another just popped up today) on :bow: C-band. How many on Dish and Directv? :thinking

STOP paying thousands of dollars every year in subscription fees just to watch re-runs and and sponsored ads. Get your own big dish for $729 and never pay anything again!

We have now started stocking 10', 12', 13.5' and 16' solid commercial antennas too. More info soon...

10ft_solid_dish.JPG
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America
[email protected]
(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

user78405
TVRO Retired
TVRO Retired

Post by user78405 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:21 pm

its not recommend for people buying 10 foot dish....2 problems you gonna deal with when spending over $500 with those bad Tek2000 sellers...assurances will it work...it may or may not make any difference from 8 foot i have...depending location...now days people yards are shrinking in newer homes built than older homes with 20 by 30 feet back yard i have while newer they are shrunk to 10 by 10 or less space..houses are been built closer now and nothing you can do with bigger dish..unless you want put on top your roof that will be noticeable..2nd thing of the problem you will face ...yes...you bought the dish over $750 worth but for how long will it last cband networks ....they might end all feeds by year dec 31 2023...all networks preparing send notices to operators due to expiration of security encryption..meaning they no longer gonna able to transmit anymore when 5g release to the public ..so if anyone spend that money...you gonna regretted with anger that you just bought junk that will be temporary shorter til the deadline and be useless eventually ..so i only spend 300 bucks only...and used cable wire left behind....thats it ...so don't get upset for spending that money cause tek2000 don't do refunds
8' solid =4 lnbs, 7' solid= 2 lnb, 5' solid= 2 lnb ;; 2 C1pll , 1 gcn dual input, 2 ESX242 , 3 BSC421
crazy liberal pirate

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:46 am

user78405 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:21 pm
its not recommend for people buying 10 foot dish....
10-foot is the optimal dish size for the home satellite tv enthusiast. It will lock everything.
user78405 wrote:
2 problems you gonna deal with when spending over $500 with those bad Tek2000 sellers...assurances will it work...
Our sponsors have sold thousands of these antennas and they work. $500 is not a lot of money. Try buying all the gear you need from Directv / Dish Satellite and see how much it will cost you, not to mention the endless subscription fees.
user78405 wrote:
now days people yards are shrinking in newer homes built than older homes with 20 by 30 feet back yard i have while newer they are shrunk to 10 by 10 or less space..houses are been built closer now and nothing you can do with bigger dish..unless you want put on top your roof that will be noticeable..
The size of the home is irrelevant. All you need is a backyard facing south or south-west with few or no obstructions.
user78405 wrote:
2nd thing of the problem you will face ...yes...you bought the dish over $750 worth but for how long will it last cband networks ....they might end all feeds by year dec 31 2023...all networks preparing send notices to operators due to expiration of security encryption..meaning they no longer gonna able to transmit anymore when 5g release to the public ..so if anyone spend that money...you gonna regretted with anger that you just bought junk that will be temporary shorter til the deadline and be useless eventually
5G will have zero impact on C-band. It is being rolled out already in many cities. Stop the lies and misinformation about c-band ending in 2023. Everyone in the USA watches C-band, whether they realize it or not. Most are watching compressed 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th generation signals being fed from C-band. Those of us with C-band dishes watch the 1st generation master feeds with zero compression. The 1st generation signals start life as 10 - 30Mbps MPEG4 or H.265 and look stunning. The 2nd generation gets compressed to 3-4 Mbps MPEG2 and is fed to high-end cable subscribers. The 3rd generation gets compressed, downsampled and distorted some more before being sent back up to a ku satellite and back to Earth. This is the 2-3 Mbps MPEG2 or 1-3 Mbps MPEG4 signals fed to Dish/Directv customers (dish appears to be slightly worse than direct based on customer comments). The 4th generation is more compression which gets fed to the iptv services at around 1-2 Mbps. Finally, the :pointing: pirate iptv service providers (parasiting off dish/direct) do one final round of additional compression/downsampling/cropping (5th generation) before sending you that glorious 0.5 - 0.75 Mbps MPEG4 signal. :lolsign: That's just the way it works folks and quite a few middle-men gouging you for those butchered signals.

C-band is not some independent network of programming that can be shutdown like say a single cable company. C-band is the top of the food chain and the source of ALL the programming for every cable, satellite, SMATV and IPTV provider in the USA. If you shut C-band down, you effectively shut EVERYTHING down. Does anyone really think this will happen?

Satellite operators may give up 100 MHz of bandwidth for cash to 5G operators, but that still leaves them with plenty of bandwidth. How many C-band satellites are filled to capacity? None. C-band satellite operators can simply move their programming to the upper part of the bandwidth if the lower part is utilized by 5G. They can also increase the effective bandwidth by 50% or more by converting QPSK and 8PSK signals (currently the norm) to 16APSK. HBO recently did this to one of their transponders on 58W. Originally, the transponder was 8PSK and serving 5-6 HD master feeds. They flipped the switch to 16APSK and added a 4K master feed to the mux just like that. The original 5-6 HD channels are still being streamed at the same rate of 10 Mbps and the the new 4K master feed clocks in at 17 Mbps h.265. Quite the magic trick :chaplin and some wild feeds are now routinely fed in 32APSK.
user78405 wrote:
...so don't get upset for spending that money cause tek2000 don't do refunds
Tek2000 is a reliable vendor. They accept credit card payments and if you are not happy, you can always reverse the payment. They've sold thousands of consumer antennas to home satellite enthusiasts and I'm told they will start selling commercial, heavy-duty antennas (both mesh and solid) for TV stations in the months ahead. Unlike other vendors (e.g. DH satellite), they don't hide their prices and offer the lowest prices around. Outfits such as DH satellite require a bank wire before they ship out anything. So if you drop $5000 with them and don't like the product: too bad - so sad. :byebye
Administrator
([email protected])

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Arion » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:08 am

And I can chime in that overall I was pretty pleased with the quality of my 10' dish I got from Tek last summer and I even left a review about it on Satguys with the pictures. I had a few minor complains such as the metal on the mount saddle being a bit thin which spread the saddle apart when tightening the bolts and apparently that has been addressed with the latest version of the dish.

Another poster on my review chimed in later and back in the day he had installed hundreds of c-band mesh dishes and he stated that in his opinion the quality of these later dishes rivaled what he used to install back in the day. So the dish isn't flimsy nor is it crap. I live in the U.P. of Michigan on the lake Superior shoreline and as you can imagine we have pretty severe winters. I was watching my dish closely all winter and it came through with flying colors. Not only that but after the spring snow melt it still tracked well so no ground heaving effect either. Once or twice when I knew a big storm was coming I drove the dish to be perpendicular to the wind to ride out the storm but the dish suffered no damage. For full disclosure however I did go out and brush the dish down after every storm and sometimes during the storm to keep the weight off the dish but I would do that for any dish that I own.

I do not think this dish will have any problem living to be 10 years old or more with no problems.
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Edison dual band STB's. Running OpenPli on all.

Return to “Satellite News”