DirecTV ending Satellite Service in USA

Discussions about the latest digital satellite tv industry news.
tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

DirecTV ending Satellite Service in USA

Post by tvroadmin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:45 am

It’s the beginning of the end of satellite TV in the US
By Ashley Rodriguez - November 30, 2018

:crying
We’ve launched our last satellite,” John Donovan, CEO of AT&T Communications, said in a meeting with analysts on Nov. 29.

The AT&T executive effectively declared the end of the satellite-TV era with that statement. AT&T owns DirecTV, the US’s largest satellite company—and second largest TV provider overall, behind Comcast.

DirecTV will continue offering satellite-TV service—it had nearly 20 million satellite video subscribers as of September, per company filings. But the company will focus on growing its online video business instead, Donovan said. It has a new set-top box, where people can get the same TV service they’d get with satellite, through an internet-connected box they can install themselves. It expects that box to become a greater share of its new premium-TV service installations in the first half of 2019. It also sells cheaper, TV packages with fewer channels through its DirecTV Now and WatchTV streaming services, which work with many smart TVs and streaming media players like Roku and Amazon Fire TV devices.

The practice of getting TV through satellite dishes propped up in backyards and perched on rooftops first took hold in the US in the last 1970s and early 1980s, after TV networks like HBO and Turner Broadcasting System started sending TV signals to cable providers via satellites. People in areas without cable or broadcast TV began putting up their own dishes to receive the TV signals, and that grew into a TV business of its own. But in recent years, consumers have shifted to new digital TV offerings like Netflix and Hulu or the live, PlayStation Vue service. That shift away from traditional TV services has hit satellite particularly hard. The US pay-TV industry reportedly lost a record number of TV subscribers last quarter, and the satellite services from DirecTV and Dish Network (which also owns internet-TV service Sling TV) were the hardest hit.

In 2017, AT&T lost 554,000 satellite video subscribers, and it continued to hemorrhage customers this year, according to company filings.

He’s not going to launch more satellites,” AT&T’s top boss, chairman and CEO Randall Stephenson, said of Donovan, during the meeting. “We’re kind of done.

https://qz.com/1480089/att-just-declare ... in-the-us/
Administrator
()

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator

Re: DirecTV ending Satellite Service in USA

Post by tvroadmin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:12 am

They will need at least 2 functional spacecraft to continue broadcasting HD content and a 3rd for spare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirecTV_satellite_fleet

DirecTV 14 and 15 were launched in 2014/2015, but everything else before 2010. Assuming a lifespan of 12 yrs for each satellite, they might be around until 2026. I highly doubt it though. Any issues with solar flares or other technical problems and their service would be hanging together by a thread. I think they have made up their minds and will move to aggressively eliminate their satellite service by 2023 or earlier. :crybaby:

The other US satellite provider (Dish) hasn't said what they plan to do. Sky UK is phasing out their satellite service too, so Dish is likely to do the same or economic forces will force them into bankruptcy.

Everyone said C band satellite was a barbarous relic of a bygone era and ignored by the mainstream satellite forums. Rumors were even circulated that 5G would be the end of C band. But it looks like C band will be having the last laugh and outlasting them all. :coolsign

LONG LIVE THE BIG DISH!
Administrator
()

jess76
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Post by jess76 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 pm

Got to remember; C band is where it all comes from in the first place!
9' mesh with c/ku feed horn,lnb's w/polorotor. Recievers hooked up: AZ prem hd., Pansat9500,and Manhattan. I have a few others in my colection including an old Satcruiser and a Captiveworks3000.

Z_finigan
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Z_finigan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 pm

It's about time. It makes sense. AT&T owns the telephone system. And with that being said. That system is dead. And if they use the phone system. They win big. They own it. So it will not cost much to use it.
2 now that they shut off the analog part of the system. It's all digital. So they will end up king of the IPTV world.
They will be able to give 4k. And with 4tvs. And no data cap.
Where everybody else loses with cable internet.
I only have Netflix and you tube. And my family has came within 50 gigs of 1024 gigs

Ku is am when it comes to free programming.

That's why 5G should use ku. It only makes sense. The satellites on ku are smaller. There will be no demand for ku. Once direct shuts down there feeds. Dish will probably be gone in 5 years. So what is ku after that.

Which I was reading up on it. I don't think 5G is going anywhere fast.

4G is not 100% I bet not even 75%. And they want 5G.

But time will only tell.

user78405
TVRO Retired
TVRO Retired

Post by user78405 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:04 pm

that's a shame...hope DISH followed too if what TVROSAT believe like the past when business left c-band that free up for other markets like networks ..but those are not home use..but only for media giants but anything possible if both leave WILL MEDIA GIANTS SWITCH TO KU BAND ??? i DOUBTED IT ,CAUSE 2 CONS OUT-WEIGHT THE GOOD FOR THE MEDIA DON'T USE KU BAND IS ONE THE RAIN FROM THEIR SATS ...AND 2....EXPENSIVE TO SWITCH OVER...HOPE IS ALL TRUE WHAT YOU SAID BUT SADLY C-BAND NETWORKS ARE NOT BUDGING...BUT I DO NOTICE THEY ARE HOPPING TO ONE SAT FROM 121W...ITS LOOKS THEY ARE TRANSFERRING TRANSPONDERS TO 91W SPORTS CHANNELS WHILE LATIN ONES MIGHT MOVE TO 113W WITH OTHERS....EASIER FOR ME DUE TO SAT STRENGTH BEAMS IN MY LOCATIONS THAN FURTHER WEST FROM 121W TO DOWN.... WHILE PLANNING TO SHUTDOWN SAT 121W TO 135W FOR 5G NETWORKS TRANSMISSION LINES :cool2
8' solid =4 lnbs, 7' solid= 2 lnb, 5' solid= 2 lnb ;; 2 C1pll , 1 gcn dual input, 2 ESX242 , 3 BSC421
crazy liberal pirate

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator

Post by tvroadmin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:49 am

AT&T is definitely getting out of the satellite business:

https://spacenews.com/directv-owner-att ... atellites/
Administrator
()

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:09 am

Whoaaaa...never saw this one coming. Times are a changing. Still have my grey market dtv system from the 90s. Guess it will be joining my c band legacy equipment from the 80s soon. :lol:
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

wildbill

Post by wildbill » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:15 pm

I have 3 buds and love them. My favorite is PBS ku but watch "C" band too. Never wanted direct tv and wonder how they will service rural areas ? The cell towers can not handle bandwith. :?:

Return to “Satellite News”