DirecTV bleeds another 627,000 Pay TV Customers

Discussions about the latest digital satellite tv industry news.
tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

DirecTV bleeds another 627,000 Pay TV Customers

Post by tvroadmin » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:43 pm

AT&T Loses 544,000 Q1 Video Subs; Another 83K DirecTV Now Subs Depart
ERIK GRUENWEDEL
April 24, 2019

AT&T’s pay-TV and online TV businesses continue to reflect ongoing challenges as consumers migrate away from the traditional cable bundle toward an increasingly fragmented over-the-top video market.

The telecom April 24 reported it lost 544,000 pay-TV subscribers in the first quarter (ended March 31) — up 190% from a loss of 187,000 video subs during the previous-year period.

AT&T ended the period with more than 22.3 million pay-TV subs, which includes satellite operator DirecTV and U-verse. That’s down more than 1.5 million combined subs from 2018.

Meanwhile, DirecTV Now — AT&T’s much-hyped standalone online TV service – lost 83,000 subscribers compared to a gain of 312,000 subs during the previous-year period.

The streaming service ended the period with 1.5 million subs compared to 1.46 million subs last year.

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson attributed DirecTV Now sub losses to weaning out early subscribers paying the introductory $34.99.

‘We’ve seen the effect of that in the fourth quarter and the first quarter,” he said. “Second quarter you’ll see that moderate, and I actually believe second half of the year base of what we’re seeing in terms of uptake in the market on the new platform and the new product. We should have a decent second half of the year on DirecTV Now.”

Full Story
Administrator
()

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Re: DirecTV bleeds another 627,000 Pay TV Customers

Post by Arion » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:06 am

They destroyed their business model by pricing themselves out of the market. I dumped DTV a few years back when I got my big dish set up and have never looked back. Anything that I really want to watch there is a way to do it that doesn't extort $100 a month or more out of my pocket for a lot of garbage. It's bad enough to have to pay that much for the programming but then you have to endure all the insufferable commercials 15 minutes out of every hour as well.
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Icecrypt dual band STB's.

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor

Post by tek2000 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:20 pm

All,

Someone leaves Directv every 12.5 seconds. Remarkable! I suppose the provider is partly to blame for this, but not entirely.

The true culprit is the monetary inflation created by the Federal Reserve Bank. If the rate of inflation for the things we buy everyday is 10% per year, but wages rise only 1-2% and interest paid on savings is also 1-2% per year, then it becomes clear that living standards are declining. The system is rigged by the one percent to result in rising asset prices like stocks, while the 99% who own few assets and rely on wages and savings fall further behind each and every year. In short, it is a robber's state and every 12.5 seconds someone reaches their financial breaking point and can no longer afford a TV subscription. If a Directv subscription today was $14.99 per month like it was in 1994, I bet they would have double the number of subscribers and still be growing!

If you are a recent refugee fleeing from Directv, you should consider installing and using a C Band Dish. For about the cost of a one year subscription to Directv ($1200), you can get your own motorized 10-ft Mesh Dish with feed assembly and become your own cable company! If you like to think in terms of inflation like I do, you will not only get to watch hundreds of high quality channels in Master HD without the cost of a subscription, but you will also turn a profit. How you ask? Well, some people are wise to the inflation ruse and like to stack gold and silver. Unfortunately, these metals are not very useful while they simply sit around. A C Band Dish on the other hand is about 200 lbs of steel and aluminum and very useful as many of you already know. So while you are watching TV for free and the bankers are busy creating more and more inflation, your BUD (Big Useful Dish) will naturally rise in nominal value. I bet if you sold your dish for scrap metal in 2040, you would get your $1200 initial investment back and a lot more but if you paid a subscription you'd have nothing to show for it except for a big hole in your pocket!

You just have to think outside the box and outcon the conmen! :wink
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America

(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Arion » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:51 am

Don’t dis gold though. I own both. 100 years ago you could walk into a bank with a $20 bill and walk out with a one ounce gold coin. Both the 20 dollar note and the one ounce gold coin would buy you a beef cow or a fine business suit. Fast forward to today and that one ounce coin will still buy you the business suit or beef cow. The $20 FRN will buy you a take out pizza without the tip. Gold being real money is immune to inflation unlike paper money. And if it wasn’t thru artificial price manipulation of dumping paper contracts both gold and silver would be multiples of the current pricing in fiat money.

The world and national economies are in trouble and both central banks and sovereigns are accumulating as much gold as they can get their hands on. What do they know that their citizens don’t? One secret of wealth is you don’t have to be the smartest guy in the room. All you need to do is find the smartest guy and do what he’s doing for himself. That being said you have a one time expenditure for your dish and equipment and as has been said it pays for itself and then one less monthly bill to face.
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Icecrypt dual band STB's.

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:39 am

Just checked the gold prices from the 1980s. It cost me almost 2 gold ounces to get my 12' paraclipse and 1.5 gold ounces for the 10' from DH. Looking at the TK2000 webpage, it now takes just under 1 ounce of gold for a 10 footer and just over 1 ounce for a 12 footer. It terms of gold, prices have come down a wee bit. But most people forget that in those days we only had access to maybe 15-20 analog channels. Nowadays we easily got access to 100+ digital channels, most in HD and some in UHD too. Also no internet in those days to share feeds...unlike today. :bigsmile
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

Return to “Satellite News”