Outright Collapse being forecast for DirecTV and Dish in 2019

Discussions about the latest digital satellite tv industry news.
tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Outright Collapse being forecast for DirecTV and Dish in 2019

Post by tvroadmin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:26 am

Satellite TV giants DirecTV and Dish could lose more than 1 million subscribers in total next quarter as the sector slumps

By Ashley Rodriguez

businessinsider.jpg

[list]The biggest losses of pay-TV subscribers are now from satellite services including DirecTV and Dish, a June report from Credit Suisse shows.[/list]

[list]The two US satellite companies could lose more than 1 million subscribers next quarter, and end 2019 with 12% fewer subscribers than they had at the end of 2018, based on the estimates.[/list]

[list]Most of the losses will be at DirecTV, while Dish should see respite in the second half of the year.[/list]
[/b]

Satellite subscriber losses have been mounting year-over-year, and analysts at Credit Suisse expect the trend to continue throughout 2019, according to the firm's Jun. 3 report on the media and telecom sectors.

During the first quarter of 2019, the two major US satellite-TV companies combined lost more than double the subscribers they lost during the same period last year. DirecTV and Dish lost about 926,000 net subscribers altogether during the first quarter, up from 373,000 a year ago. They closed out the period with 9.4% fewer satellite subscribers than they had during the first quarter of 2018, according to the report.

Credit Suisse anticipates even greater subscriber losses, totaling more than 1 million, during the second quarter. It also projects DirecTV and Dish will end 2019 with 12% fewer satellite subscribers than they did last year — compared to a 7.5% drop year-over-year in the last quarter of 2018.

Full Story: Business Insider
Administrator
([email protected])

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator

Re: Outright Collapse being forecast for DirecTV and Dish in 2019

Post by tvroadmin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:52 am

That's a staggering 4 million lost subscriptions per year with no end in sight. If present trends continue, these two companies will lose almost half of their customer base in just 3 short years. Of course, as that happens, they will be forced to dramatically increase their prices in order to keep profits stable for investors, which will only accelerate the downward spiral. Bad news if you are a subscriber or investor of these services.

I wonder how Orby TV is doing? Will they make it?
Administrator
([email protected])

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Post by Arion » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:07 pm

It might work well for Orby as customers that quit Charlie and Dave start searching for alternatives. A $100 box and $40 a month with no contract should be rather attractive to a number of people that just want some basic channels to watch that can't stomach a two year contract and over $100 a month.
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Edison dual band STB's. Running OpenPli on all.

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator

Post by tvroadmin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:50 pm

I've been told that you can analyze the packet traffic on 117w and actually count the activation packets for new Orby subscribers or any other service for that matter. There was a lot of traffic 2 months ago, but since then new Orby activations have gone off the cliff. I'm not an expert on this, but someone else who knows his stuff has indicated as such. Perhaps someone with TS Reader and programming skills can analyze the data can look into it.

The same can be done with Rainier subscribers and someone apparently posted fewer than 50 activations on another site. I would have thought the figure would have been a tad higher, seeing as our sponsors have added several thousand C band dishes to the total supply in the USA over the last couple of years. People are simply not subscribing to any pay-TV services, not even cheap streaming services, which have also started to decline.

These subscriptions services really start to add up over the years and many people just can't afford it anymore. If anyone reading this falls into this category, you can still watch TV by investing in a good OTA antenna for your locals, a C band dish for specialty channels and Pluto TV for free streaming channels.
Administrator
([email protected])

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by dishcrank » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:38 pm

Rumors about a merger between directv and dish. If they merged, they would only need one fleet of satellites and one uplink facility and would have more leverage over the programmers which might reduce prices.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/att-and-di ... 202629085/

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by dishcrank » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:39 pm

Rumors about a merger between directv and dish. If they merged, they would only need one fleet of satellites and one uplink facility and would have more leverage over the programmers which might reduce prices.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/att-and-di ... 202629085/

Blackloz
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by Blackloz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:28 am

These companies are going bankrupt because all their channels are being streamed over the internet. Why they are allowing this to happen I don't know, but this is what is killing them. Why would anyone pay thousands of dollars per year to them when you can get all the dishnetwork channels, ppv and vod for $5 per month or less? :lol:

constance
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by constance » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:15 am

D/N is the more problematic of the two. They were suppose to deploy Nagra's latest and greatest anyCast security technology to fix their piracy problem but it never happened. I wonder why? Too cheap, Charlie? The DTV system on the other hand is locked down tighter than a nun's... :eek:

The majority of people who stream live tv illegally are actually watching D/N content without even realizing it. :mrgreen:

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Arion » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Twenty years ago when I moved to the boonies I took a DTV pizza dish package I bought at a local megastore with me. Set it up myself and was pretty happy with it. Everything SD and 4:3 of course. I ran into a guy that owned the local corner store and he had a hacked DTV card. I think he jtag'd it every time DTV rolled the keys or something. He showed me the little box he put his card in and wires over to his computer to reset it. That was a lot of hassle to save $30 a month or whatever it cost back then. Eventually they tightened up their system.

One thing kind of neat is that DTV never encrypted the audio off any of their programming. When the box was deauthorized it just didn't pass the audio thru the system. I was into FTA the first time I got rid of DTV and found a windows plugin using a satellite card that would convert the DTV program table to a DVB type stream and tSo then using TSReader I could play back audio from any channel that DTV had. For quite awhile I used my KU dish with that setup to listen to any baseball or football game that I wanted. Best part about it is that it was totally legal if you knew what to do. Not sure if their audio is still open or not or how well known that little anomaly was.
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Edison dual band STB's. Running OpenPli on all.

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by dishcrank » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Last time I checked some of the audio on Nimiq 4 (82w) and and Nimiq 6 (91w) was itc but you need a turbo fec receiver. Same with some stuff on 61.5w. You can listen to the ball game or CNN news. Quite a few other transponders are like this on c band too (i.e. video encrypted but audio itc).

Return to “Satellite News”