HBO and Showtime available on Rainier???????????

Discussions about the latest digital satellite tv industry news.
indira
Banned
Banned
Articles: 0

HBO and Showtime available on Rainier???????????

Post by indira » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:57 am

Is this for real? :scratchingmyhead:

It's on their news blog but I don't see how it's possible unless the HBO mux is getting simulcrypt. You can't even get HBO on dish network anymore.

rusty
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: HBO and Showtime available on Rainier???????????

Post by rusty » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:05 pm

It sounds like :glenn: is becoming a reseller of Comcast's HITS service. They sell commercial feeds (105W) to small cable operators. The consumer subscription service was shut down in 2016 and Comcast refuses to sell directly to cband consumers anymore. :boo!
12' Cosmos Primestar (refurbished)36" SuperJack Actuator
Chaparral Corotor Feed (Norsat 8115, 4106A)
ZGemmaH7 UHD, OctagonSX88 HD, Edision UHD, DSR-6000, DSR-6050
Clarke Belt: 22W - 133W

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:03 pm

The big program suppliers have a minimum subscriber requirement (e.g. 100,000 or 1,000,000 subs) before they talk to Rainier. The small, independent programmers may do business with Rainier, but how long do they last? The Blaze TV has announced it is going off the air in January 2020.

Same thing happened to Dish. HBO wanted a guarantee for 2.5 millions subs, but Dish only had 2 million actually paying. So bye, bye HBO. Who needs that crap anyway? Degenerate programming that millions are rejecting en mass because it is so alien to their souls. On the other hand, Through the Bible with Les Feldick (on 99W) will elevate your soul and is as enjoyable today as it was decades ago. And free! :bigsmile

Les :oldman is still alive you know...
Administrator
([email protected])

Victoria
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Victoria » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:14 pm

tvroadmin wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:03 pm
So bye, bye HBO. Who needs that crap anyway? Degenerate programming that millions are rejecting en mass because it is so alien to their souls. On the other hand, Through the Bible with Les Feldick (on 99W) will elevate your soul and is as enjoyable today as it was decades ago. And free! :bigsmile

Les :oldman is still alive you know...

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Well, for all those billions they spend on producing content and billions more to promote it to the entire world (who wouldn't watch it otherwise), even the least cultured person on the planet has to conclude that the people behind HBO are nothing but bunglers of culture.

Then along comes a farmer named Les Feldick with the most modest means at his disposal, yet he manages to take his audience on a journey through palaces of the imagination. :toofunny

Is it any wonder they hate rural America so much?

Les is on C Band. Please do enjoy his excellent programs.
Administrator
([email protected])

Victoria
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Victoria » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Personally I find HBO to be a very overhyped, overrated service.

Most of my time spent watching scripted television programming these days is probably on something branded as a "Netflix Original," i.e. either something they've produced themselves or content licensed from a foreign country.

Netflix has been outpacing HBO in terms of quantity and quality for years. Whereas HBO might put out one or two new high quality series every year that you then have to wait forever for the meager 8 episodes to be released in bit-starved 1080p quality, Netflix drops at least 2 or 3 "originals" worth watching in 4K HDR every week.

If you compare HBO's list of currently running programming:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... rogramming

To Netflix's list of currently running programming:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_o ... by_Netflix

It's downright pitiful how small HBO's library is despite their hype. Netflix does put out a lot of junk but the sheer amount of stuff they put out ensures that they still end up releasing more quality shows in that sea of junk than HBO does in their little pond of quality shows. I think what I like the most about Netflix is their licensing/funding of foreign content. HBO does this a little bit but definitely not to the degree of Netflix. Las chicas del cable, La casa de papel, La casa de las flores, Sacred Games, Dark, Rain, Morocco: Love in Times of War etc. would've never happened on HBO.

Also, losing HBO on a cable or satellite TV provider is no big deal. Linear HBO on cable/satellite looks like garbage. Even their untouched 1080i H.264 C-band feeds are considerably lower quality than the 1080p H.264 versions available from their channel you can subscribe to on Amazon Prime Video.

I'm sure when HBO Max launches, it will have even better audio/visual quality as they now have to compete with Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV+'s, and Disney+'s 4K HDR offerings. Linear television distribution is now an outdated, legacy product to HBO where they care about providing neither quality nor value.

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by dishcrank » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:38 pm

Victoria wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:50 pm
Also, losing HBO on a cable or satellite TV provider is no big deal. Linear HBO on cable/satellite looks like garbage. Even their untouched 1080i H.264 C-band feeds are considerably lower quality than the 1080p H.264 versions available from their channel you can subscribe to on Amazon Prime Video.
I agree the HBO muxes with like 7-8 programs look average, but the mux with just the HBO and Cinemax feeds on 125 west is transmitted at very high bit rates (up to 20 Mbps) and looks stunning when they drop the encryption. They also transmit 4K content on 58 west @17 Mbps / HEVC which went encrypted a few months ago. There was even an HBO VOD service on 131 west but I don't know where it went.

The stuff on 105 west from HITS is over compressed similar to dbs and not worth subbing in my opinion even if it were made available again.

Victoria
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Victoria » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:24 pm

dishcrank wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:38 pm
Victoria wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:50 pm
I agree the HBO muxes with like 7-8 programs look average, but the mux with just the HBO and Cinemax feeds on 125 west is transmitted at very high bit rates (up to 20 Mbps) and looks stunning when they drop the encryption. They also transmit 4K content on 58 west @17 Mbps / HEVC which went encrypted a few months ago. There was even an HBO VOD service on 131 west but I don't know where it went.

The stuff on 105 west from HITS is over compressed similar to dbs and not worth subbing in my opinion even if it were made available again.

Are you referring to 4000 H and 4020 V on 125W?

They appear to have those capped at 8 Mbps:
Image Image

I've seen them ITC before and while they looked okay, they did not look as good as the 1080p streams on Amazon.

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:19 pm

Outside the big 3 networks the best I've seen so far is AXS TV and HDNet. It was like being at the movie theatre. Hope they come back soon cause I sure do miss the Tom Green Show. :bigsmoke:
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

Return to “Satellite News”