Playboy channel on Rainier

Discussions not based on facts or objective evidence will be moved here.
Victoria
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Re: Playboy channel on Rainier

Post by Victoria » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:54 am

even wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:02 pm
Why does Cisco show a picture of a black man on every page of the manual? :utterlyconfused Are they retarded? :thinking
:lol: That's hilarious. Random black guy on the beginning of every chapter.

The Playboy channel does look quite a bit better now since they've moved to 103W. They improved the encoding and now has 5.1 audio channel (probably all matrixed channels from stereo masters though. I doubt they have produced a single piece of content with an actual 5.1 mix)

New specs since their move to 103W are 1080i H.264 @ 9 Mbps

I did screenshot comparison of the Playboy TV channel on C-band and the downloads from the Playboy.tv website. Quality is all over the place for the web versions. They'll randomly go between offering a 720p copy or a 1080p copy of episodes in the same TV show/season, bitrates differ a lot, in some episodes they have a small bunny logo in the corner and in others a massive Playboy.tv logo in the corner, etc.

The newest stuff from the last 1-3 years is generally pretty good 1080p H.264 with small bunny logo in the corner but Playboy is a dying company and they produce very little new stuff. The majority of their content was produced earlier and whoever was encoding their videos for their website back then was incompetent.

The versions of content aired on their actual TV channel definitely look the best. Even their newest releases on their website which have their best encoding settings yet look quite poor compared to their linear TV channel on 103W. I compared a new show ('Bare Fitness') that uses their best web encoding settings on Playboy.tv with a copy of it that aired on their TV channel uplink on 127W before they moved to new encoders at 103W, and then I recorded that same show again on 103W so I could compare all three sources for Playboy:
 ! Message from: tvroadmin
Embedded images removed to protect member from DMCA violations. Members please refrain from posting copyrighted images, especially anything related to Rainier Satellite, even for fair use purposes, because GLENN MUSIELAK is working hard behind the scenes to get people prosecuted and satellite forums shut down. As the C band community knows all too well, he is a real piece of you know what... :roll:
Of course given the horrible over-compression of every pay TV provider except Rainier I am sure that Playboy TV when viewed on Comcast or DirecTV or something does indeed look considerably worse than the 1080p downloads offered on Playboy.tv. So only the untouched C-band version of Playboy is better than their website.
Attachments
PlayboyTV_SatelliteChange.pdf
(102.13 KiB) Downloaded 514 times

beck
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

Re: Playboy channel on Rainier

Post by beck » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:18 pm

Victoria...do you by chance have an account with them [Rainier]? They did say something about getting A&E Networks and Viacom, though I don't see those in any of their packages yet. Bit rates must be even higher on those so should look better than cable on a 70" screen. Digital sub channels too cause the ota ones are all standard def and look crappy. I'm looking for quality which they got but lack of channels to select from is keeping me on the sidelines. I thought they would have worked all this out by now.

Cheers! :beer

Return to “Rumors”