New to C-Band

Introduce yourself here and let us know your TVRO background.
cbandforme
Articles: 0

New to C-Band

Post by cbandforme » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:59 pm

Hey Guys,

I've been reading for a while about C-Band with some interest and have finally decided to take the plunge. :chaplin

Can you guys with C-Band experience answer some questions?

First...Is a 10 foot wire mesh dish adequate for reception from Arizona? Will I get all the usa channels?

Second...How many bags of cement do I need for a ground pipe installation?

Third...Should I use an 18" or 24" actuator for the dish?

Fourth...I'm located about 10 miles south from a small airport. Are they using C-Band? Will I get interference? My understanding is the dish points mostly south and the airport will be directly behind it but planes will pass overhead. Anyone live near an airport?

Thanks guys...

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: New to C-Band

Post by Arion » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:21 pm

Read the C-band dish setup guide. It will answer all those questions and many more.

https://www.tvrosat.com/forum/phpBB3/vi ... 146&t=1252
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Edison dual band STB's. Running OpenPli on all.

zack
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by zack » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:02 pm

cbandforme wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:59 pm
Hey Guys,

I've been reading for a while about C-Band with some interest and have finally decided to take the plunge. :chaplin

Can you guys with C-Band experience answer some questions?

First...Is a 10 foot wire mesh dish adequate for reception from Arizona? Will I get all the usa channels?

A 10 foot wire mesh dish works very well for me in east TX.

Will you get all the usa channels? I think that goes back to what receiver you will be using? ( That will require a new post)

Second...How many bags of cement do I need for a ground pipe installation?

This depends on local soil and climate conditions, there is no magical formula! But it is better to go with more than you might think you need! ( it might take a year or two to find you did not use enough!) Then you have to start all over!

Third...Should I use an 18" or 24" actuator for the dish?

Just like the dish, the bigger the better! I am using a Venture 24" Maxi with the motor mounted to the east. Fully retracted, I am in the mid range of the 130 degree sats. My most eastern programmed in sat is SES 2 at 87 degrees. https://www.tvrosat.com/cgi-bin/portal_charts.cgi

Fourth...I'm located about 10 miles south from a small airport. Are they using C-Band? Will I get interference? My understanding is the dish points mostly south and the airport will be directly behind it but planes will pass overhead. Anyone live near an airport?

I'm located about 1 mile east from a small airport.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Pou ... al_Airport

Only problem I have is losing on SES 1, 4180 H
30000, ACE and PRIMO TV during the day!

It can come in fine in the morning, start tiling later, be unwatchable later but still have 98% signal and 98% quality! Later in the day the lock can be missing! Some days it comes in every time I look for it!

Just my two cents for you, Zack

:bananna: Welcome to TVROSAT!

Thanks guys...

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:19 pm

Yes, please see our guides section

https://www.tvrosat.com/forum/phpBB3/vi ... .php?f=145

It describes everything from installing your dish to configuring a modern satellite receiver.

Post installation is similar to deck/fence post installation except you will use a steel pole and not wooden one. Use 3-4 bags of concrete and watch this guy doing it:

[youtube]YuG_KHMvPRM[/youtube]

The aviation industry uses the upper C-band (4.2-4.4 GHz) spectrum, so some interference is possible in the upper satellite band around 4.2 GHz. Since you will be pointing away from the airport, potential interference will be minimal, but the odd plane directly over your house may cause temporary signal loss (like a microwave oven). If it is a big problem, buy an LNB with a filter designed to reject such interference.

As an aside, did you all know that the aviation industry is just as concerned as the satellite operators about 5G interference? Did you know that telemetry data (like plane altitude) and cockpit communications are transmitted on this band? I can just see a lot of close calls and possible air disasters caused by some guy turning on his Netflix account on a 5G connection. :hammerhead
Administrator
([email protected])

cbandforme

Post by cbandforme » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:01 am

Thanks Guys! Been reading those links and will give the installation a shot in a few weeks. Anyone use a schedule 40 pipe for the dish mount?

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor

Post by tek2000 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:28 pm

cbandforme wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:01 am
Anyone use a schedule 40 pipe for the dish mount?
It will work but you need to weld tabs to the pipe or high winds will rotate it and bring your dish out of alignment. We sell below-ground poles with the welded tabs if you are interested. Also get the pole below the frost line or any water that pools under it will freeze in winter and disturb the vertically plumb pole resulting in tracking problems.
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America
[email protected]
(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Arion » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:39 am

I got a pole with the welded tabs from Tek myself. Had a very hard time sourcing the right size piping up here. Cost almost as much to ship it as the pipe itself but has now made it through two severe winters in the U.P. Of Michigan and has held solid no problem.
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Edison dual band STB's. Running OpenPli on all.

RayGrant

Post by RayGrant » Sun May 05, 2019 2:41 am

Why not mix then pore the cement in? This is a completely new way for me. Featured buying guide for cookware, baby feeding products. Also check out my recipes.
Last edited by RayGrant on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Sun May 05, 2019 10:40 pm

RayGrant wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:41 am
Why not mix then pore the cement in?
That's how I do it. Also, I prefer to build concrete piers or footers for decks. That way the wooden post is above ground and won't rot over the years. With a c band dish, you are using a steel post so it won't rot. However, it can rust. So spray paint the bottom of your pole before doing a below ground installation. Most people perform this kind of installation on grass or garden soil in the backyard. It tends to look good in a landscaped yard.

You can also anchor a king post to a concrete pier. Make the pier a bit larger than the base of your king post and drop some anchor bolts into the concrete. Once cured, just bolt the king post in place. Since it is above ground, you can easily inspect for rust and also level with washers if not perfectly plumb.

[youtube]SUxS4QJpeiU[/youtube]

12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

Return to “New Members”