BUSTED: Set TV sued by Hollywood Studios

Discussions about the latest legal news in the TV industry.
rusty
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

BUSTED: Set TV sued by Hollywood Studios

Post by rusty » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:46 am

Netflix, Amazon and Hollywood Sue “SET TV” Over IPTV Piracy
BY ERNESTO ON APRIL 22, 2018

setvnow.jpg
Several major Hollywood studios, Amazon, and Netflix have filed a lawsuit against Set Broadcast, LLC, which sells the popular IPTV service SET TV. The companies accuse the service and its operators of facilitating mass copyright infringement. In addition to hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages, the movie studios request an injunction to stop the infringing activity.

In recent years, piracy streaming tools and services have become a prime target for copyright enforcers.

This is particularly true for the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE), an anti-piracy partnership forged between Hollywood studios, Netflix, Amazon, and more than two dozen other companies.

After taking action against Kodi-powered devices Tickbox and Dragonbox, key ACE members have now filed a similar lawsuit against the Florida-based company Set Broadcast, LLC, which sells the popular IPTV service SET TV.

The complaint, filed at a California federal court on Friday, further lists company owner Jason Labbosiere and employee Nelson Johnson among the defendants.

According to the movie companies, the Set TV software is little more than a pirate tool, allowing buyers to stream copyright infringing content.

“Defendants market and sell subscriptions to ‘Setvnow,’ a software application that Defendants urge their customers to use as a tool for the mass infringement of Plaintiffs’ copyrighted motion pictures and television shows,” the complaint reads.

In addition to the software, the company also offers a preloaded box. Both allow users to connect to live streams of TV channels and ‘on demand’ content. The latter includes movies that are still in theaters, which SET TV allegedly streams through third-party sources.

“For its on-demand options, Setvnow relies on third-party sources that illicitly reproduce copyrighted works and then provide streams of popular content such as movies still exclusively in theaters and television shows.”

The intended use of SET TV is clear, according to the movie companies. They frame it as a pirate service and believe that this is the main draw for consumers.

“Defendants promote the use of Setvnow for overwhelmingly, if not exclusively, infringing purposes, and that is how their customers use Setvnow,” the complaint reads.

Interestingly, the complaint also states that SET TV pays for sponsored reviews to reach a broader audience. The videos, posted by popular YouTubers such as Solo Man, who is quoted in the complaint, advertise the IPTV service.

“[The] sponsored reviewer promotes Setvnow as a quick and easy way to access on demand movies: ‘You have new releases right there and you simply click on the movie … you click it and click on play again and here you have the movie just like that in 1 2 3 in beautiful HD quality’.”

The lawsuit aims to bring an end to this. The movie companies ask the California District for an injunction to shut down the infringing service and impound all pre-loaded devices. In addition, they’re requesting statutory damages which could go up to several million dollars.

At the time of writing the SET TV website is still in the air, selling subscriptions. The company itself has yet to comment on the allegations.

Lawsuit

Full Story
12' Cosmos Primestar (refurbished)36" SuperJack Actuator
Chaparral Corotor Feed (Norsat 8115, 4106A)
ZGemmaH7 UHD, OctagonSX88 HD, Edision UHD, DSR-6000, DSR-6050
Clarke Belt: 22W - 133W

Blackloz
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Re: BUSTED: Set TV sued by Hollywood Studios

Post by Blackloz » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:21 pm

I know many people using this service set tv and they all said it was much better than sling tv but I guess they will be shut down now with these lawsuits. Too bad.

xee
TVRO Retired
TVRO Retired

Post by xee » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:20 am

It has been found out most of the linear channels on this dark iptv service and many others have been traced back to dish network. The bean counters have been alerted and I am told legal trouble is just around the corner for Charlie. :lol:

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:35 pm

I was just reading up on this company and the legal issue. I don't think they have a prayer in hell, but that is my opinion. When push comes to shove, I think they will almost certainly give up their customer list to the studios, which will almost certainly demand compensation from the end users just like the music industry did years ago. Deja-vu all over again with a lot of innocent people getting hurt in the process.
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Thu May 03, 2018 2:50 am

xee wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:20 am
It has been found out most of the linear channels on this dark iptv service and many others have been traced back to dish network. The bean counters have been alerted and I am told legal trouble is just around the corner for Charlie. :lol:
xee,

Can you please post this stuff on your forum instead of ours? There is no bashing allowed on this forum, so unless you have legal documents to back up your claims, please don't post fairy tales. Thanks.
Administrator
([email protected])

Return to “Legal News”