Original C band providers.

Discussions specifically related to master c band satellite television.
Pianist3
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

Original C band providers.

Post by Pianist3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:33 am

Hello, hope all are having a good day.
My question today is, who were some of the original C band subscription providers?
I understand that this is FTA, and I support it. I'm in the process of getting set up my self, cause I've always wanted a big dish, and love the appeal of one. I've heard tale of how the programming was more flexible, then small dish providers. Such as you could pick and choose channel's you wanted. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, curious.

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: Original C band providers.

Post by dishcrank » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:24 pm

There were quite a few a-la-carte c-band providers in the old days. Some that come to mind include National Programming Service, TurnerVision, Rural TV, Programming Center and Orbit Communications.

ftaer
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by ftaer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Let's not forget Charlie's chipped videocipher c-band programming service (RIP 1987-1991)... :lol:

Gotta run!!!

gottarun_80_anim_gif.gif
gottarun_80_anim_gif.gif (23.65 KiB) Viewed 14136 times
Standing at your doorstep watching you. :finger

Pianist3
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by Pianist3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:12 pm

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: wow. Just imagine the potential, if they were back up and running. It would seem to me, the company's that controls the small dishes would see the opportunity, and expand back to C band sub. If they would sell directly to the customer, more could subs to Be, and they would become a better monopoly to all. I mean its apparent that its all uploaded by c band. The corporations could charge a reasonable fee, and unscramble the encryption. Thus selling directly to us, and make as much if not more. Thanks for any and all info you gave. I really appreciate it. I just love old school tech.

elko
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by elko » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:10 am

Pianist3 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:12 pm
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: wow. Just imagine the potential, if they were back up and running. It would seem to me, the company's that controls the small dishes would see the opportunity, and expand back to C band sub. If they would sell directly to the customer, more could subs to Be, and they would become a better monopoly to all. I mean its apparent that its all uploaded by c band. The corporations could charge a reasonable fee, and unscramble the encryption. Thus selling directly to us, and make as much if not more. Thanks for any and all info you gave. I really appreciate it. I just love old school tech.
Who is going to hire tens of thousands of technicians to install c-band dishes all across the country again? This won't happen. It is far more economical for them to go the streaming route, which is what they are doing. In fact, the CEO of AT&T said he wants to migrate the entire DTV customer base to IP in the next decade. DISH will have to do the same or go out of business.

C-band satellite TV is a hobby now and nothing more. The two dbs satellite services may disappear entirely over the next decade, but c-band satellite will probably stick around a bit longer to continue feeding the cable headends. When the last broadcaster flicks off the satellite switch and goes to fiber, then c-band will finally die once and for all. The good news is this won't happen for a long, long time - so enjoy the hobby! :beer

Pianist3
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by Pianist3 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm not saying hire technicians. We can do that ourself. I'm saying just for a flat fee, decode the feeds for the channels. I know this is a hobby, and it's a very full filing one at that. They could keep the revenue, and provide us with more options. But however, the point in setting up a big dish, is for the free channels, and have a wider variety then just a digital antenna. And yes. I hear you about the streaming. It's slowly going there. I use that as well, to complement my OTA antenna, and the big dish when I finish installing it. But I don't think satellite will ever go antenna completely, unless the government reclaims c band for communication's like before. Which I feel is unlikely. I feel ones like verizon and att, will tryou first to expand their band with.

ftaer
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by ftaer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:37 am

I agree. People deserve more than just some bitstarved picture crap on cable or dbs.

I was just over at Scotties rag where all HELL is breaking loose again over D/N picture quality. It seems Charlie :reddevil: cropped the picture from 1440 x 1080i to :pointing: 1040 x 1080i and the lynch mob in TV land are already looking for their pitched forks. :run The Pure master HD feed is delivered in 1920 x 1080i and is pure eye candy. I guess this guy thinks if he removes one pixel at a time, the paying serfs :ballchain in TV land won't notice. :retarded Bull! If Charlie patents this new crap bitstarved service maybe he won't have to resort to stealing compression algorithms anymore. :toofunny

I can't imagine what the 4K Olympics feed looks like on the douche bag network.... From what I heard several people say the picture is soft and rather embarassing to watch when compared to just the HD master on C band. Sometimes I wonder if such poor picture quality won't cause long-term eye damage for people forced to constantly strain and squint their eyes to watch tv...maybe the Surgeon General needs to issue some kind of health warning! :rotflmao:

Speaking of Czar Snotty looks like when someone asked about a certain C band receiver he was given the business. :frown :finger You think this guy would grow up already and stop the :bullshit . When it comes to those dark IP services though the Czar :hammerhead has no problem running those ads on his raghole. Same old song and dance. :utterlyconfused

darkIPfromSnotty.png
Standing at your doorstep watching you. :finger

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:35 am

ftaer = Glen Musielak

:banned :banned :banned
Administrator
([email protected])