Another Happy Customer

Discussions specifically related to master c band satellite television.
tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
Articles: 0

Another Happy Customer

Post by tek2000 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:38 pm

All,

I was browsing the net and came across an interesting modification to a Tek2000 dish being used for moon bounce experiments by amateur radio astronomy enthusiasts.

tek2000_modified.png

He's done a detailed write up which is well worth reading. For those who are curious, the moon will reflect about 20% of the microwave power beamed towards it, which means it is possible to establish a radio link relay for communicating over long distances here on Earth. Unfortunately, the moon is not in geostationary orbit with respect to the Earth, so you need a steerable antenna to track it. Also, unfortunately, due to noise constraints, you can only transmit and receive at very low bit rates if you use 12' antennae.

http://www.prutchi.com/wp-content/uploa ... l-N2QG.pdf
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America

(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

Tags:

Gregtheham
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Re: Another Happy Customer

Post by Gregtheham » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:44 am

Nice set - up! For those interested, moon bounce (EME= earth moon earth) is a very cool amateur radio specialty, but you don’t need a 12 ft dish. Using free software, it is possible to have a contact with larger stations, using a long yagi, and about 100 watts ...that’s at 2 meters! (144 MHZ)...certainly bigger is better though.

Naturally, much higher frequencies are also used, but with a smaller group of players.

The really cool thing is the DSN aspect...which is monitoring planetary orbiters and space exploration probes! One Ham recently discovered a probe operating that was thought lost/defective...certainly a nitch hobby, ( requiring excellent gain and loss management) ...but pretty cool to read about for us space/radio/satellite/ Astro nuts.

Meteor scatter is also cool, and very easy with a 50mhz beam and 50 watts..

belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by belter-one » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:30 am

Awesome read!

It looks like this person has re-engineered a 12 foot mesh dish in an incredible manner! :respect:

Thanks for sharing,

belter-one

P.S. Can we share this pdf file or is it now owned by tvrosat?

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor

Post by tek2000 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:54 pm

The pdf is owned by the administrator of prutchi.com

You may need to ask him for permission to use on your site or elsewhere.
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America

(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

Return to “C Band Satellite”