C Band Blindscanning Tips Request.

Discussions specifically related to master c band satellite television.
supwiddiss
TVRO Agitator
Articles: 0

C Band Blindscanning Tips Request.

Post by supwiddiss » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:29 pm

I've spliced the C Band Accurate blindscan files into one single list. Starting at the lowest TP/SR to highest.
I have a friend here who we have been comparing sats and channels.
He has quite a few more channels and TP's for sats than I have. We both have H7's.
My friend has a few chinaboxes which do real software blindscans. He exports the files from them to use on his H7.

12 hours into a complete blindscan and 50% done with 0 channels so far, still on 4 digit SR's I got wondering.
The sat charts here and Lyngsat and others seem dated.
How could I find active, sometimes active wild feeds to add to my satellites.xml per satellite to make a working blindscan file?

I guess I'm asking how would I find all possible or future transponders and SR's on a single satellite that may be activated at any moment to find wild feeds? Kind of back in the day of 27 channels per satellite and finding a news broadcast with a person picking their nose and stuff like that.

Anybody?

belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: C Band Blindscanning Tips Request.

Post by belter-one » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:56 am

Hello,

I am very interested in this as well. I have not had a lot of luck blindscanning yet, some but not a lot, with an H7 as well.

Awaiting a Sensei's wisdom,

belter-one

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by dishcrank » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:24 am

Guys,

Try

http://satellites-xml.org/

Select your satellites and it will generate an xml file that you can load to your receiver. It is always up to date. They must be grabbing transponder info from all the sites around the world.

supwiddiss
TVRO Agitator

Post by supwiddiss » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:20 am

After 26 hours of running the Clarke Belt blindscan file posted here on 133W results are just a handful of channels on tp 3740 and 4040.
No others came in. But a scan from files downloaded from satellites-xml pulls in many more.

I did download the xml file from there for the range of sats that I can get. Looking at it and comparing with satellite charts from here and the other places. Plus my buddy's input asking how many channels I can get on a particular sat/tp. Some are missing from what he's receiving.
Not necessarily that they are ITC. That's not the intention. It is to make sure that all TP's on a sat can be tuned in.

So right now I see on 133W there is TP 4044. The accurate blindscan files don't have it included. It has 4040.
There are probably more.

Apparently the chinabox receivers that do a real hardware blindsscan do it pretty fast. Certainly much faster than a file based scan.
That's my findings. And since they scan like you would spinning the VFO on an ham radio, they grab tp's you wouldn't expect to be there.

Another thing that is stumping me is the formatting of the xml. Comparing to manual scan setup. An Internet search turns up the basics.
Pilot? Rolloff? Not covered. How close to a tp frequency will the tuner "grab" during a scan.

So, I wouldn't count on the accurate blindscan files to do what they claim. It only took 26 hours to find that out.

belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by belter-one » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:31 pm

dishcrank wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:24 am
Guys,

Try

http://satellites-xml.org/

Select your satellites and it will generate an xml file that you can load to your receiver. It is always up to date. They must be grabbing transponder info from all the sites around the world.
Thank you dishcrank,

Very useful.

Fascinating! 8-)

belter-one

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:13 am

supwiddiss wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:29 pm
I guess I'm asking how would I find all possible or future transponders and SR's on a single satellite that may be activated at any moment to find wild feeds? Kind of back in the day of 27 channels per satellite and finding a news broadcast with a person picking their nose and stuff like that.

Anybody?
This was discussed before. The only way is to have a dedicated dish farm aimed at every satellite and blind scanning each bird 24/7. The results could be uploaded to a server and a plugin in your receivers could download ALL the results and display in your epg guide for easy access.

But who will setup and operate the dish farm? It costs too much and I doubt anyone would pay a subscription to such a service (too cheap). The other option would be to have volunteers using dedicated stationary dishes doing 24/7 blindscans and uploading the results to a central server. How many can spare a stationary dish?

The number of feeds people find with manual blind scans and post at this forum and others is only a fraction of what is actually up there...
Administrator
([email protected])

supwiddiss
TVRO Agitator

Post by supwiddiss » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:51 pm

A very valid reply. Although promised, a Linux receiver such as the H7 simply depends on an XML file for a transponder list.
No hardware blindscan will or ever will be a function of these boxes. And that's because although the Broadcom chip CAN support it, the firmware has been written by Broadcom software coders. And that is that. Closed source and closed door.
Everyone stop holding your breath. I've just reflashed with OpenATV 6.3 that just came out. Same driver files, same Python files.
But yet the cheapest chinabox can do a hardware blindscan exactly as a spectrum analyzer can mark frequency spikes and bandwidth.

And there goes the scenario. My friend sent a file from blindscan results of his chinabox receiver. He swore he was getting 4K ITC channels on sats and tp's that were not in my receiver. And not in satellite charts. An evening of editing the satelites.xml file with a printout of the formatting switches and a very late night scan.
Quite a few 4K broadcasts and tons of radio channels. None shown on the various satellite charts. Nor in the Clarke Belt xml blindscan file.

I have to add that the MBC1237 ATSC tuner in the H7 should be perfectly capable of doing what a Silicon Dust HDHomerun tuner and every modern TV with an ATSC tuner does. Find channels, ITC or scrambled. Mine finds zilch, zip, zingo. After adding the HDHR scanned freqs. into the atsc.xml.
It's in the firmware. Already written and closed source.

Regards

Guys rip up Android software. Rip it up. New roms, drivers, functions. Most of the hardware level functions on Linux receivers are locked. But folks are hanging bells and whistles on them because Enigma2 is open source. Get it?

belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by belter-one » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm

supwiddiss wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:51 pm
A very valid reply. Although promised, a Linux receiver such as the H7 simply depends on an XML file for a transponder list.
No hardware blindscan will or ever will be a function of these boxes. And that's because although the Broadcom chip CAN support it, the firmware has been written by Broadcom software coders. And that is that. Closed source and closed door.
Everyone stop holding your breath. I've just reflashed with OpenATV 6.3 that just came out. Same driver files, same Python files.
But yet the cheapest chinabox can do a hardware blindscan exactly as a spectrum analyzer can mark frequency spikes and bandwidth.

And there goes the scenario. My friend sent a file from blindscan results of his chinabox receiver. He swore he was getting 4K ITC channels on sats and tp's that were not in my receiver. And not in satellite charts. An evening of editing the satelites.xml file with a printout of the formatting switches and a very late night scan.
Quite a few 4K broadcasts and tons of radio channels. None shown on the various satellite charts. Nor in the Clarke Belt xml blindscan file.

I have to add that the MBC1237 ATSC tuner in the H7 should be perfectly capable of doing what a Silicon Dust HDHomerun tuner and every modern TV with an ATSC tuner does. Find channels, ITC or scrambled. Mine finds zilch, zip, zingo. After adding the HDHR scanned freqs. into the atsc.xml.
It's in the firmware. Already written and closed source.

Regards

Guys rip up Android software. Rip it up. New roms, drivers, functions. Most of the hardware level functions on Linux receivers are locked. But folks are hanging bells and whistles on them because Enigma2 is open source. Get it?

supwiddiss,

Thank you for this information. So if I purchase a hardware blind-scan capable receiver and use it to find these missing/blocked transponders, then can they be added to the xml files/receiver so that I can tune them in the H7 so as to be able to view 4K feeds and other FTA channels? Apologies if I am being a little dense here. I am more than willing to do this. The Zgemma H7 was the only 4k capable receiver I could find without having to become fluent in german. Very interesting post. Any advise you may offer will be greatly appreciated.

Loving this big beautiful dish (10 foot mesh) and the H7,

belter-one

supwiddiss
TVRO Agitator

Post by supwiddiss » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:17 am

Yes. Short answer.
Thing is. Will the H7 be able to tune them in?
It would seem easy. Cheap box, no bells and whistles, but great hardware scan capabilities.
Do a scan and grab the file. Edit or find it and plug into our H7. Wa-La!
A bit of reading of exactly the right cheap box to do it. Making sure it is usa friendly.
In the meantime. Sourcing a VU+ configed for here. From there.
I need ATSC Clear Qam-256, Full Dolby Digital functionality. And a FBC tuner. Something 2019-ish. The H7 is new, but it's "old".
Don't get me wrong. I like it. At first I thought it was awesome. But guys that have had many C Band receivers lead me to differ.

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by dishcrank » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:52 am

supwiddiss wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:29 pm
12 hours into a complete blindscan and 50% done with 0 channels so far, still on 4 digit SR's I got wondering.
Anybody?
If you are using openATV to scan, the firmware treats 'DVB-S' and 'DVB-S2' as different standards. So if there is a 'DVB-S2' feed with a certain SR and your xml file contains this SR but defines it as 'DVB-S', it won't find anything. I learned this the hard way. :hammerme:

Return to “C Band Satellite”