C-band affected by weather

Discussions specifically related to master c band satellite television.
mrel
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

C-band affected by weather

Post by mrel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:50 am

Hello
Is C-Band affected by weather condition ,when is rainy and windy.
Ku band can be affected by rain,so is c-band signal drop out do to bad weather.
mrel

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor

Re: C-band affected by weather

Post by tek2000 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:17 pm

C-band satellite television reception is impervious to overcast or rain/snow conditions, unlike it's little cousin, the ku-band dish. This is why the industry settled on this band of the electromagnetic spectrum for national distribution of television programming in the 1970's. However, due to the rather large size of the typical C-band dish, high winds can cause issues if the installation is not done properly.

If you are installing a new C-band dish and doing an in-ground post installation, make sure you use a post with welded tabs at the bottom to avoid having the post rotate under extremely high wind loads. Also, make sure you tighten down all the nuts and bolts and check for slop once you got the dish mounted on the post. This will go a long way in avoiding performance issues under extreme weather conditions.
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America
[email protected]
(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

supwiddiss
TVRO Agitator

Post by supwiddiss » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Oh yeah it is. Certainly not as much as ku band reception. A few dB.
Your biggest problem is snow on the dish. Silicone spray and Rain-X on the dish will help. A broom is better. You need exercise anyway.
Not impervious, just resistant. And if motorized, don't leave it up in the sky during a blizzard. Common sense.

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor

Post by tek2000 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:50 pm

supwiddiss wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:14 pm
Oh yeah it is. Certainly not as much as ku band reception. A few dB
No, not even close. Next time it is pouring, check your signal levels. :wink:

Signal attenuation due to rain fade is directly proportional to frequency (and likely raised to some exponent of the frequency). Thus, little or no attenuation (less than 1 dB) in the c-band, some attenuation in the ku-band (5 - 10 dB) and massive attenuation in the ka-band (complete signal loss). Just ask Direct TV customers :rain in Florida about the latter. :wink:
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America
[email protected]
(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

mrel
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by mrel » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:13 am

I do notice when is windy and rain the signal on 101 west 4020 H 28000 signal drop out.
El

supwiddiss
TVRO Agitator

Post by supwiddiss » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Yes. To say impervious is misleading. For example on 131W when there was a blizzard the other day I lost 3-5dB signal.
Went out and swept the dish off and gained a dB. Looked up to 50W and signal was close to what it should be.
Head ends and news broadcasters have huge dishes. Go figure.

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:25 pm

supwiddiss wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:00 pm
Yes. To say impervious is misleading. For example on 131W when there was a blizzard the other day I lost 3-5dB signal.
Went out and swept the dish off and gained a dB. Looked up to 50W and signal was close to what it should be.
Head ends and news broadcasters have huge dishes. Go figure.
Heavy snow sitting on your dish will cause the parabolic shape of the reflector to distort slightly. This was likely the cause of your signal loss. To minimize snow accumulation, if at all possible, drive your dish to the lowest horizon satellite. C band for the most part does not suffer from rain fade like the little dishes. This is a well known fact.
Administrator
([email protected])

Return to “C Band Satellite”