Pay-TV at a 'Crossroads' - End is nearer than most think

Discussions about the latest digital satellite tv industry news.
tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Pay-TV at a 'Crossroads' - End is nearer than most think

Post by tvroadmin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:26 am

Pay-TV at a 'Crossroads' Threatening Faster Sub Losses – Analyst
JEFF BAUMGARTNER, Senior Editor, Light Reading 3/18/2019

If larger US cable operators follow the path of some of their smaller counterparts and play down or retreat from pay-TV, overall subscriber video sub losses could soon accelerate from moderate to torrential levels, Craig Moffett, a top industry analyst at MoffettNathanson, predicts in a revised forecast of the domestic pay-TV market.
Full Story
Administrator
([email protected])

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator

Re: Pay-TV at a 'Crossroads' - End is nearer than most think

Post by tvroadmin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:32 am

I wonder what all those Pay-TV execs will do for a living now? Especially the one in Chicago :bottle who sends us cryptic emails in German and French (using Google Translate no less) telling us the end is nigh for FTA. :mooning

Long live FTA! Long live the BIG DISH! :beer
Administrator
([email protected])

Pianist3
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

Post by Pianist3 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:48 am

They might realize c band is worth the trouble, and set it back up. But then they will charge high prices there too! Personally I don't see why they couldn't offer conditioned access to the powervu, or digicipher arc, and deal directly with the consumer. They would still make money.
tvroadmin wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:32 am
I wonder what all those Pay-TV execs will do for a living now? Especially the one in Chicago :bottle who sends us cryptic emails in German and French (using Google Translate no less) telling us the end is nigh for FTA. :mooning

Pianist3
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by Pianist3 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:55 am

However, I love my FTA setup!! I wouldn't want to have to pay for tv again.
Pianist3 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:48 am
They might realize c band is worth the trouble, and set it back up. But then they will charge high prices there too! Personally I don't see why they couldn't offer conditioned access to the powervu, or digicipher arc, and deal directly with the consumer. They would still make money.
tvroadmin wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:32 am

gtalover1
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by gtalover1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:57 pm

My bet is that C Band Satellite TV Systems and Programming will make a comeback via Powervu conditional access. TV technology appears to enjoy an average of 20-25 year run. Videocipher had its 20 year run. DTV and Charlie TV have had their 25 year run. It's time again for C Band Satellite TV Systems and Programming rebirth. C Band Satellite dishes sprouting up all over the countryside again. Wouldn't that be a joy to behold.

Alas. Just like my 2010 silver bullion investments went. That's a bet I'll probably lose.

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator

Post by tvroadmin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:24 pm

C-band satellite is coming back, but not because of the (pay) programmers, but despite them. The programmers have gotten greedy of late and don't even want small dish and cable companies around either. They want to cut out ALL the middle men, and just suck the consumer dry directly by streaming all their content. It won't work.

More and more are getting fed up with the astronomical cost of a basic subscription and are looking for alternatives. Streaming has been pushed as some kind of panacea for the last few years, but those prices are rising rapidly now and people are cutting the streaming cord too. What the professional cord cutting propagandists don't tell you is that the majority of those who cut the cord are simply retreating to OTA. That may mean a few dozen HD channels for now, but just wait until the local broadcasters roll out the new ATSC3.0 standard in the next decade and the real avalanche begins. If you truly understand this new standard, you will know what is coming. It will be the nail in the coffin for the pay programmers as consumers gain access to literally hundreds of channels, mostly in 4K, and absolutely free.

If you got a big dish, you are sitting pretty because C-band satellite transmission will be the most economical method of delivering all this new content to thousands of local broadcasters. If you think having access to a handful of 4K channels now is great, just wait a few years and watch all that formerly pay-tv content pop up as 4K diginet content on your C-band dish!

So just sit back, relax and enjoy the C-band ride!
Administrator
([email protected])

zack
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by zack » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:59 pm

Here in the US we now have Norby tv! I do not remember seeing it on this forum.

https://orbytv.com/

You can purchase a $100 dollar Norby receiver from Best Buy and use your own dish, or call Norby to install a new dish. Basic package is $40 a month FLAT, taxes included!

Upgrades are available.

You own the equipment, no contract, no credit check, pay as you go and you can start and stop service without penalty! :bananna:

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator

Post by tvroadmin » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:14 pm

zack wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:59 pm
Here in the US we now have Norby tv!
Unless they changed their name, the company is called Orby TV and was reviewed in this this forum

https://www.tvrosat.com/forum/phpBB3/vi ... .php?f=261

People are free to subscribe if they wish, but you get way more channels and feeds with a C-band dish and there is no pesky monthly subscription either.

Orby TV is a handful of mostly SD channels encoded in hevc to make them look half decent and transmitted at an average bit rate of 400 kbits/s. Hey, at least it's better than dish which averages the same transmission rates but still encodes in mpeg 4. :hehehe: On the other hand, you will find quite a selection of 4K channels on C-band encoded in hevc with an average bit rate of 17,000 kbits/s. And broadcasters like NBC and CBS routinely push the transmission rates to the mux limit of 30,000 kbits/s or more. Totally up to you on what you want to watch on that 70" screen, but don't expect the big game to look that great from those bit-starved middle-men feeds. :wink
Administrator
([email protected])

zack
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by zack » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:57 pm

Can I claim old age brain fart do to old age?

I was wondering why searching norby brought no results!

Z_finigan
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Z_finigan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:37 am

Hi
I have Orby TV. All I can say is I'm happy with it. I think people under estimate. Hevc. I can say most TV channels look very good. Because they are not fta boxes. They don't give out the info for HD OR SD. I can say. No black bars. Which are tell tell signs for SD.
I think they will look fine on a bigger screen. I have not had time to test it out back. I do have a 300 inch screen out back.

But I can tell you. It matters more in what you have. Brand wise. My projector even has a better picture then my 4k TV. When in comes to using analog. I've played laser disc out back. And it looks stunning.
The only thing better is 4k.

But I enjoy it. There are stations I could not get. Like science channel. And 50 dollars. Not bad. Comcast in some areas charge more. To get science or Nat Geo.

But. One day. I'll put a photo of each station. And then you can see the quality. I'm sure you will be as surprised as I was.
It's not like direct TV. When the only time you ever saw real high quality hd. Was on ppv.
That was only a few years ago.

Return to “Satellite News”