Single LNB for partial xponders

Discuss all aspects of the Shaw Direct (Canada) satellite system.
Gregtheham
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

Single LNB for partial xponders

Post by Gregtheham » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:56 am

Is it possible to use a single KU dish and typical FTA
LNB (wth an active ,current 2019 year Shaw STB) to receive partial channel servivice, pointing at either 107w or 111west.

Or- Can I use two independent dishes and a switch ( even a mechanical coax switch as I am not sure how to Us Shaw box setup to work with sw21 or disqswitch etc. .setting vs xponder etc) The LNB I try May be from an older linear starchoice or universal..I have to see what I have.

I believe Shaw has gone to all mpeg 4 hi def xponders. Which xponder freq is use for ITC tuning/aiming on each bird, or is it just used on one bird only, and then relies on the xKu LNB for physical spacing? That may make aiming more difficult if going for just one bird with a single LNB.

It appears Shaw is only using 107 and 111, as listed on Lynsat etc, but is this newer xKu LNB not for 3 bird spacing? .... or is it 2 birds, but with 2 I.F.s for the higher frequency Xponders ? Have tried to find answers on line, but NG.

Just wanting to avoid moving a GFs dish from her summer to my winter location (10km apart) or purchasing new second dish.
Don’t know why she bothers- Her channel lineup sucks. :| She typically only watches one or 2 of the channels. - thus ok with partial channel service if right bird/ xponder can match up those 2 channels with a universal LNB pointed at one bird only.
May just put account on hold..and use ATSC and my Cband .
Opinion, options ?
Tnx !

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Re: Single LNB for partial xponders

Post by tvroadmin » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:12 am

I don't think I can lock Shaw satellite from my location (could be wrong), but you need to find out the LNB mixer frequency first. If is 10600 or 10750 then you can use any DVB-S2 / FTA type LNB since they use V/H polarization. If it is 11250 (like Dish / Directv), then standard FTA LNBs won't work because the frequencies will be off. Orby uses 10750 which I can lock. The other problem with Shaw is I believe the transport stream is wrapped in digicipher so you need the appropriate tuner (i.e. OEM box). A DVB-S2 box can't lock Shaw even if you get the LNB stuff worked out. Maybe some tbs tuners might work...
Administrator
([email protected])

Return to “Shaw Direct”