Ku dead?

Discussions specifically related to master ku band satellite television.
SpecialED1000
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

Ku dead?

Post by SpecialED1000 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Can anyone tell me if there has been any real changes for new channels on Ku band, I've been scanning and I don't have the perfect system but I pick up most feeds, but progress is stale for the last year, don't have a choice I dont have my bud isn't setup yet
OTA-vhf hi ch 7-13 12db 8 element
FTA-windgard 1 meter offset, avenger dual twin linear Ku Lnb, stab hh 100, geosat pro 1200 receiver

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: Ku dead?

Post by fatso » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Ku is far from dead, just limited in terms of programming. Think of Ku band as your 'lifeline/lifeboat' and C band as the Titanic :bigsmile when it comes to FTA programming. The main sats for Ku programming are as follows:

125W
-PBS master feeds (East/West which include select news programming from BBC, CNN, Fox and others.

123W
-Daystar

121W
-Velocity

119W
-Overcompressed CNN (not sure if still there)

113W
-Reuters News

107W
-CBC News Feeds

103W
-NBC Master Feeds/Cozi
-RT America
-NHK World

-91W
-ABC News Feeds

89W
-BYU

87W
-CNN Feeds
-LPB

Of course there is also quite a bit of ethnic programming on 95W, 97W and 113W. From time to time, a Dish or Claro mux will open up on 61.5W or 116.8W or elsewhere and there are also some wild feeds to be had.

People getting into FTA satellite should definitely go for C band, but if that is out of the question, a small motorized Ku dish will definitely complement OTA local programming if you are living in an apartment or condo.
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

SpecialED1000
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Re: Ku dead?

Post by SpecialED1000 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks for the reply

Yes absolutely, C band is coming here soon I have yet to plant the pole for a 10 foot mesh I just acquired, I receive all the channels you've listed with exceptiin of Reuters ( need a larger dish due to my location North of 55th parallel ) only reason I ask is if it missed anything new, use to have a bud at my old place i was using and not here at my new location

OTA is dead and no longer an option in my area I only get CTV (cfrn edmonton ) ch 13 and analog, station has NO plans to convert to DTV as this transmitter is not in a mandatory market in accordance with CRTC, CBC abandoned us entirely out of the major centers

For most if you guys it's a hobby but as for me I live in a tight budget and cannot afford over inflated prices of Canadian DBS, so C band it is and I was happy with the selection, Ku is my temp solution for now
OTA-vhf hi ch 7-13 12db 8 element
FTA-windgard 1 meter offset, avenger dual twin linear Ku Lnb, stab hh 100, geosat pro 1200 receiver

Return to “Ku Band Satellite”