Question about Sat Chart

Discussions specifically related to master c band satellite television.
IntelPenny4
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

Question about Sat Chart

Post by IntelPenny4 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:16 pm

hello to everyone :) i have a question about the satellite chart. when i look at the chart what does the numbers before the mpeg-4 or mpeg-2 mean? like one of them says (6.5-MPEG4) thanks

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: Question about Sat Chart

Post by fatso » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:41 pm

It is the average bit rate for the program. See this

https://www.tvrosat.com/legend.html

The higher the bit rate, the better the picture quality especially on a big screen TV. As far as I know NBC puts out the best picture when showing NFL games. CBS is probably pretty high too. The bit rate can be as high as 24 - 30 Mbps when they show a major event. My old FTA receivers would crash when seeing such high bit rates. :lol: Compare this to the average bit rate for the new 4K channels which is only 17 Mbps. So believe it or not, they allocate more bandwidth to NFL games than to 4K programming which is truly a shame. I think 4K should be at least 34 Mbps or half a mux. :okay But programmers want to squeeze 4 of these channels in one mux. I think SES does this because they know cable and small dish will butcher these channels down to 5 Mbps or less and make a mockery of them, :boo! so why bother with higher bit rates for the master 4K feeds?

The lowest bit rate I have seen on c band is This TV on 99west. It averages like 0.6 Mbps. Most master feeds average between 6 - 10 Mbps and are MPEG4.
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

IntelPenny4
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Re: Question about Sat Chart

Post by IntelPenny4 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:00 pm

thanks fatso :) i was thinking thats what it meant. yeah its sad when some HD channels look better then the 4k channels. BOOOOOOO is right cable companys want more and more money. i will never turn my cable off tho. i have had it for 28 years and never had problem here at my home only with the price lol

Return to “C Band Satellite”