quality drop... or signal? wi-max ect. I'm lost

Discussions specifically related to master c band satellite television.
JKL
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

quality drop... or signal? wi-max ect. I'm lost

Post by JKL » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:16 am

Hi,

I have drops in signal regardless of what equipment I use, cable receiver etc.
This is preventing me from seeing transponders, more some then others and on any sat
Ex.: I cant see 4080H on gal14 (125w) at all but were able with frequent drops. I Check everything.

I have a a cell tower some kms away with an Internet provider on it, wi-max?

I tested my two chineese LNBFs, one C-band and the other is a Combo C/Ku, same effect. Both are scrap?

The Ku band is not affected on the Ku/C combo LNBF.

Are Chineese LNBFs with wimax rejection a scam? or worth anything?

It seems to be on quality and not level according to my Pansat and PCI card (ProgFinder) but it shows as signal drop in EBSpro poor man spectrum analyzer...

Can't wait to hear your comments :-)

Tags:

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: quality drop... or signal? wi-max ect. I'm lost

Post by fatso » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:34 am

4080H on 125W is encrypted so that explains why you can't watch it. As for signal strength, this transponder is very strong for me and I think even a 6 or 7 ft dish could lock it. What dish size do you have? Can you lock the other transponders on this bird?
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

JKL
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by JKL » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:12 pm

I use a grey mesh 10 feet BUD from the mid 90's located 2h30min north of Quebec city.

The problem is mostly on any transponder of any sat, more some then other and only on C-band like I wrote.

The one trnsponder I gave as an example is encrypted, I know. That's not relevant as I talk about ONLY signal drops. I use ProgFinder and DBSpro with a dbs card and a Pansat 9200HD.

As of now I cant lock this transponder in particular, weird.
Attachments
IMG_20190808_010714900.jpg
IMG_20190806_135104572.jpg

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:24 am

125W will be low on the horizon for your location. This means more ground noise will enter your feed. Terrestrial interference may also be a problem. To find out, steer your dish to 58W or 91W (which are high in the sky for your location, which means no ground noise and little terrestrial interference). Can you lock all the transponders on those satellites? If yes, then noise is your problem on 125W. If no, then it could be some other issue. Check your cables, connections, swap your LNBs, switches and try again.
Administrator
([email protected])

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:27 am

By the way, if your dish is really old, it could be distorted. Do a string test.
Administrator
([email protected])

iggy57
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by iggy57 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:55 pm

tvroadmin wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:24 am
125W will be low on the horizon for your location. This means more ground noise will enter your feed. Terrestrial interference may also be a problem. To find out, steer your dish to 58W or 91W (which are high in the sky for your location, which means no ground noise and little terrestrial interference). Can you lock all the transponders on those satellites? If yes, then noise is your problem on 125W. If no, then it could be some other issue. Check your cables, connections, swap your LNBs, switches and try again.
Just curious if the problem here does happen to be " NOISE " is there any kind of solution for this type of problem ??

Thanks

JKLALP

Post by JKLALP » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:50 pm

Thanks for the advice.
I stocked many parts, so its just a matter of replacing parts in case warped dish.

I gonna check your "string theory" first.

As for ground noise this makes quite of sens in faqct, even more by summer. I putted back my Chapparal blue cap and it's seems to help.

The only place I could place the BUD tripod (quadrupod should I say) is near by the road, underneath electricity utility and communication cables (around 90w from the dish) and among trees and leafs. It sees from 55w (high trees) to 133w (too low).

Are wi-max filtering LNBFs any good for that situation?

Here's a pic, the dish is aim at 125w:
Attachments
BUDat125w.jpg

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:31 am

iggy57 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:55 pm
Just curious if the problem here does happen to be " NOISE " is there any kind of solution for this type of problem ??

Thanks

The only bullet proof method I am aware of is to add a shroud around your dish. The shroud should extend past the feed horn for best results. The purpose of the shroud is to reflect all off-boresight signals away from the dish so they don't enter via the sidelobes or directly through the feed. It creates a sort of quiet zone around the dish. A shroud will reject both man-made microware interference as well as ground noise. People were building them around their dishes back in the 1980's to reduce sparklies on analog tv signals caused by microwave pollution in the c band range of frequencies coming from AT&T and other telephone carriers. Yes, the FCC was allowing terrestrial microwave transmissions between 3.7 - 4.2 GHz even back then. The problem is no different today, except the microwave towers carry internet traffic in addition to voice signals and give these transmissions special names like 3G, 4G and 5G. Below is a picture of a shrouded dish I found in an old satellite magazine.

shroudeddish.png
shroudeddish.png (242.23 KiB) Viewed 14400 times
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

LAWRENCE006
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by LAWRENCE006 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:47 am

How would you build a shoud today around the dish

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by dishcrank » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:12 pm

A shroud is just a metallic cylinder with the same diameter as your dish. You just pop it over the dish and you're done. :grin:

Are you serious? Hehe... Adding a shroud will add a lot of weight to your dish and increase the wind resistance. You would also have to change the mount to make the whole thing structurally stronger...a lot of work. A better idea might be to determine which direction the interfering Wi-Fi signal is coming from and perhaps construct a "partial" shroud on that side of the dish.

For starters get a long pole and tape a rectangular piece of cardboard on the end. Make it 3'x4'. Tape some aluminum foil around both sides so it can reflect RF. Go outside and connect a beeping meter to your lnbf and gently move the rectangular patch of foil around the perimeter of the dish. When you reflect the Wi-Fi interference away from your dish, your satellite signal will be noise free and you will know which direction the interference is coming from. It might just turn out to be your neighbor's microwave oven. :lol:

Return to “C Band Satellite”