Recommended Dish installation procedure (from Tek2000)

Discussions specifically related to master c band satellite television.
tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Recommended Dish installation procedure (from Tek2000)

Post by tvroadmin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:55 pm

Our sponsor, Tek2000, as asked me to post the following.

"For those who recently purchased and are in the process of installing one of our Mesh Antennas, we strongly urge you to assemble the panels one at a time on the mount. It has come to our attention that some novices are trying the assemble all the panels on the ground and then attempting to mount the entire reflector on the mount, contrary to the assembly instructions given at TVROSat. It seems this method is being encouraged by Titanium Satellites at another forum and is leading to disastrous results for newbies. Admittedly, this was the preferred method of professional C band dish installers back in the old days because it allowed them to pre-assemble the entire reflector (or two halves of the reflector) in their shops, before trucking it to the installation site and throwing it on the mount after planting the post. The idea was to get the dish installed and tuned as fast as possible and move on to the next installation. Time is money and also, nobody wants to be sitting out in the cold or heat and humidity, bolting together panels. But those professional installers were intimately familiar with the hardware, assembled the panels on a level surface and had a 2nd or 3rd helper who helped lift the reflector in place.

If you are a hobbyist, getting into C band for the first time, please take your time to assemble the dish. You are not a contractor, so don't rush the job so you can move on to the next one. Plant the pole and make sure it is level. Let the concrete cure for a few days (the professional installers would let it cure for an hour!!!). Assemble the mount on the pole and roughly set your elevation and declination according to our Table. Check the weather forecast and assemble the panels on a non-windy day. Assemble the panels one at a time. Use the thicker bolts to hold the panel on the mount hooks. Attach this bolt half way so you leave room for the next panel. Gently place a 2nd panel beside it and secure to the previous one using the smaller bolts. Tap the larger bolt all the way through the hook and lock both panels in place. Repeat this process for all panels. Rotate the mount on the pole and on the polar axis to make it easier to work on the panel assembly. After installing each panel, make sure adjacent panels are flush at the seam. If not, use your hand (or soft hammer) to gently nudge the panels in place. Check the outer perimeter of the panels and make sure they are flush. Do NOT fully tighten the large bolts until you assemble the entire reflector. The last panel is the hardest to install, so if you the bolts are bit loose, you can wiggle the whole reflector to fit the last panel.

If for any reason you can't bolt in place one of the panels, check to make sure you got it in place. Tap with a soft hammer to get the holes aligned. Contrary to what is posted at other forums, the holes in the panel ribs are drilled with a computer controlled CNC machine (not some guy with a manual drill :roll: ), so the holes are always in the proper place for all panels. If you still can't get a bolt through, consider opening up the hole with a drill. Remove the troubled panel and use a 1/4 inch drill bit to open up the hole just a tad. Reinstall it and you will see the bolt will pass through. Sometimes an extra millimetre is all it takes. :bigsmile

Finally, those holes in the panels are NOT weeping holes. :crybaby: The dish does NOT cry. :mrgreen: Those holes are for mounting the LNB struts. In the latest models, several holes were drilled to make it easier to align the true focus of the parabolic reflector with the convergence point of the feed horn/LNBF to maximize signal power. I would start by mounting the struts on the middle hole. Measure your focal length and check your signal strength. Then move each strut to the hole above or below and see if reception improves. Choose the hole that works best for you. Without getting into the technical details, different feed horns, waveguides, etc., have the convergence point in a slightly different place, so the idea is to move the struts a bit until you match the convergence point of your feed, with the true focus of the parabolic reflector. If you swap your feed, you may have to bolt the struts in a different hole to maximize signal strength. Maybe not one in ten thousand understand this (even physicists), so they cry on the less enlightened forum(s) that the focal length on the Tek2000 reflector is wrong or was lost in the Chinese translation. Too funny. :lol2 "
Administrator
()

Tags:

eelstrebor
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

Re: Recommended Dish installation procedure (from Tek2000)

Post by eelstrebor » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:42 am

This should be posted at that "other" forum or forums. I know that Titanium is registered with more than one satellite forum. Can I provide a link to this information from other forums?

Titanium
TVRO Salesman
TVRO Salesman

Post by Titanium » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Sorry to have stepped into a situation, where I have provided your customers with information or assistance on using a product, which I do not distribute. I have helped many folks with Tek2000 dish assembly and installation questions primarily because they were integrating with my Titanium Satellite products. I should have and will in the future, refer them to instead contact you for product support.

Correct, my hardware experience is with assembling and servicing thousands of different brands and models and I have no actual hands-on experience with the recent Tek2000 products. It was not my intention to have provided or misguided Tek2000 customers, so will refrain from providing assistance with the assembly and tuning.

We traditionally have assembled dishes on a perfectly flat surface with the center supported at the correct height to form a perfect parabola and this was not related to speeding up the install process, but rather was a best practice procedure developed by the industry. Personally, I have found obtaining a perfect parabola is very difficult with panel assembly on the pole mount. As long as the Tek2000 reflector assembly process results in a perfect parabola, then this will be a success!

Once again, sorry if my attempts to assist your customers created problems for Tek2000. This has never been my intent. Good luck with your business and thank you for supporting the satellite hobby.

Best Regards!
Brian -AI6US
Titanium - Brian Gohl
He who dies with the most toys... is dead. - unknown
:beer

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Arion » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:33 pm

FWIW when I assembled my Tek dish I simply couldn't get the reflectors to line up assembling them on the mount and I noted my difficulties in the product review that Tek links to. I ended up putting it together on the ground and rolling it over to the mount and of course the dish was warped. After loosening the bolts back up and moving things around it finally came into alignment.

My problem with the mount is if you put the panels on too tightly one at a time the bolt holes wouldn't line up and if you left the bolts loose there wasn't enough room to get all of the panels put in so for me it was trial and error. If some of the dishes have been redesigned a bit in the last three years the latest models might be a little easier to put together as I know improvements are made every year.

Regardless, I finally got it together and it's been working fine for three years and has gone through a couple of rough Michigan winters already. If I can get it to work and get everything tweaked than anyone can if you want it bad enough.
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Edison dual band STB's. Running OpenPli on all.

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:59 am

I decided to wrench it on the pole too. The 8 panels for the 12 footer sent to me by tek2000 weighed over 100 lbs. No way I was going to lift that sucker with a banged up back and watch it sail over into my neighbors yard if it caught some wind. The other advantage I found doing it this way is that you can work standing up while wrenching down everything. Even standing on a small ladder is okay with me. But since I can no longer see my toes these days, :lol: I figured bending over to assemble would be bad for my sciatica condition. I did assemble my paraclipse on the ground but that was eons ago when I was slim and trim. :bigsmoke:
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:05 am

Regardless of how you put it together you should do a string test before attempting to track the arc. If it passes the string test, then you can be sure you put it together okay.
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

eelstrebor
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by eelstrebor » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:14 pm

Part of my problem with assembling on the ground is that I don't have any flat and level surfaces. I tried to fabricate something for a flat and level surface but that did not go as well as I had hoped. I doubt this thing is going to pass a string test but I don't think there will be more than a 1/4 inch separation at the string cross over but we'll see. I've stopped work on the dish because we have a lot of smoke here in Nebraska with serious health warnings. I'm regretting not trying to install the panels with the hub mounted on the pole but it appears that may have been a challenge also.

eelstrebor
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by eelstrebor » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:07 pm

"Finally, those holes in the panels are NOT weeping holes. ...... Those holes are for mounting the LNB struts. In the latest models, ..."

Then why are the holes drilled on the back of the panel and not the front?

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:44 pm

eelstrebor wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:07 pm
Then why are the holes drilled on the back of the panel and not the front?
On mine those holes were drilled out on both sides of the rib. The bolt goes right through. The idea is to fine tune your signal.
Administrator
()

eelstrebor
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by eelstrebor » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:54 pm

Turns out that the holes are drilled to the front except they're covered by the mesh. I know, simple solution.

Return to “C Band Satellite”