Repelling the cursed birds.

Discussion of large prime focus satellite dishes used for C-Band signal reception.
belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Repelling the cursed birds.

Post by belter-one » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:00 pm

Hello,

Banded pigeons, an invasive species a.k.a. rats with wings, are trying to use my dish as their litter box. I would like to affix a carefully crafted strip of a substance that these disgusting birds would not want to perch on, say the top 10 feet of the dish. Has anyone ever done anything like this? I would rather try something that does not damage wildlife, and does not damage the dish. Could this affect reception? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

They nasty,

belter-one

Captain Ron
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: Repelling the cursed birds.

Post by Captain Ron » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:26 am

I've had small birds make nests inside the back of my 10 foot BUD but never had an issue with birds roosting on top so this one had me scratching my head until I Googled (Non Lethal Pigeon Deterent) and there were several options.

The best one IMO was this on Amazon
Aspectek Plastic Polycarbonate Bird Spikes Kit with Adhesive Glue, Covers 10 Feet
Visit the ASPECTEK Store
4.2 out of 5 stars 1,464 ratings
Price: $18.49

These are a hard sharp plastic spikes on plastic strips, it says you get 10 feet of stripping and they come in 1ft strip pieces and it comes with a tube of adhesive so you can glue the plastic spike strips onto whatever you want to protect, the mounting strips are supposedly bendable and the spikes are sharp and made of hard plastic (Poly) and you may be able to paint them after installing to match your Dish. ------- I was thinking that you may be able to mount them with small sheet metal screws or pop rivets if you don't like the adhesive.

If you Google that (Non Lethal Pigeon Deterent) you can find the other options, another option is a sticky glue that they say birds do not like but it has to be reapplied every few weeks, another option is an electric shock strip. LOL

Good Luck !

MikeI
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: Repelling the cursed birds.

Post by MikeI » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:04 pm

Bird B Gone Repellent is the glue. Works great. Bought some for my dish and parents house. Their front porch for some reason was poop heaven. No poop since Christmas. Sad present but they requested it. Ace Hardware in my town has it. I've only had to apply once so far.

Return to “Dish Antennas”