New LNB or stick with the old

Discussions about low-noise blocks, waveguides, horns and other components used at the prime focus of your reflector dish.
Snowman
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

New LNB or stick with the old

Post by Snowman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:21 pm

FullSizeRender (4).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
IMG_1233.JPG
IMG_1233.JPG
How do I rotate between V&H? Or would I be better off with something like one or the other of the above ? Thanks! Sorry I posted same pic twice ! I cant get rid of the S.O.B.

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor

Re: New LNB or stick with the old

Post by tek2000 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:42 pm

Snowman wrote:How do I rotate between V&H?
There are two probes in the LNBFs shown above. One is for vertical polarity sense and the other for horizontal. It isn't necessary to rotate the probes.

If you need ku signals in addition to c band, I suggest purchasing the c/ku combo LNBF (2016 model). It works very well on 10ft and 12ft tvros. If you got a smaller dish (e.g. 8ft) and want to maximize c band gain, then go with the dual-output c band LNBF.

You will also need a high-quality, adjustable, corrugated feed horn. The typical scalar ring with 3 chokes (that most people are currently using) just don't cut it anymore and were never designed properly in the first place. We are currently fabricating an improved feed horn, so check our store again in a couple of months. I will be posting pictures and experimental results when I get a chance.
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America
[email protected]
(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

Snowman
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Snowman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:44 am

Will the new lnb perform as well or better than the old corotor & uniden?

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor

Post by tek2000 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:03 pm

On the basis of noise temperature alone, our LNBFs will outperform your Uniden LNB. Most LNA chips produced today have noise temperatures under 20K and dropping. The noise temperature for your Uniden LNB is 45K. Compare all this to the first c band LNA chips which were manufactured in 1978 and had noise temperatures exceeding 2500K!

As a general rule, if your LNB or LNBF is 5 years or older, you should definitely consider purchasing a new LNB or LNBF so you can take advantage of the improved silicon performance.
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America
[email protected]
(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

satdish
TVRO Retired
TVRO Retired

Post by satdish » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:02 pm

Noise temperature of the LNB is only part of the equation. Your dish also has a noise floor which increases as you get close to the horizon. Larger dishes say 3.8 meter, have a lower noise temp in Kelvin then say a 2.7m. You will only pick up performance to about the noise floor of the dish size. Then any added benefit by crazy low low numbers LNB's aka 15k, even if it was true (most cheap LNB's aren't) don't mean much at all.
I am too cheap to pay for a banner slot to hawk my products so I spam this board instead. I am intolerant of the c band community, so I belittle them under different aliases. I post fake news on the guitar man's website. Now I am no longer welcome here.

elko
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by elko » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:12 pm

He can reduce the noise floor of his reflector by plating it with silver or gold. :grin:

DirtyHarry
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by DirtyHarry » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:44 am

tek2000 wrote:On the basis of noise temperature alone, our LNBFs will outperform your Uniden LNB. Most LNA chips produced today have noise temperatures under 20K and dropping. The noise temperature for your Uniden LNB is 45K. Compare all this to the first c band LNA chips which were manufactured in 1978 and had noise temperatures exceeding 2500K!

As a general rule, if your LNB or LNBF is 5 years or older, you should definitely consider purchasing a new LNB or LNBF so you can take advantage of the improved silicon performance.
Your noise temps were tested by who? Would like to see detailed test results.

Snowman
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Snowman » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:22 pm

:grin: I guess I will have to plate it in silver. I just used the last of my gold for a knob on the shit house!

Snowman
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Snowman » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:23 pm

But seriously is it worth messing around trying to find a way to move the old corotor ? Or get a new self switching lnb?

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:18 pm

If your corotor still works and doesn't freeze in the winter, I would keep it and just swap out your uniden lnb.
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

Return to “Feed Systems”