18 inch actuator

How do you move your dish across the satellite arc? Discuss your motorized equipment here.
LAWRENCE006
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

18 inch actuator

Post by LAWRENCE006 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:42 pm

I have an 8 foot mesh dish and wanted to know if an 18 inch actuator work.

Captain Ron
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Re: 18 inch actuator

Post by Captain Ron » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:27 pm

The size (length) of a BUD actuator (Linear Actuator) needed will all depend on if you have obstructions in the satellite arc where your dish is located. If you have hills, mountains, trees or building or something that blocks part of the satellite arc then a smaller actuator may work for you and you need to adjust the actuator to get your open area of the sky. If you live on fairly flat land and have unlimited visibility from W Horizon to E Horizon then to get all satellites that you can then you need a longer actuator.

A. A 18" Linear Actuator will get you approx 3/8 (almost 50%) of the satellite arc overhead on an 8' - 12' foot Bud dish
B. A 24" Linear Actuator will get you approx 2/3 of the satellite arc
C. A 36" Linear Actuator will get you approx 3/4 of the satellite arc
D. A 48" Linear Actuator will get you unlimited (Horizon to Horizon) of the Satellite arc

I personally use a 24" linear actuator as my neighbor has trees that block the Eastern end of the Satellite Arc where I live and so I have mine adjusted to get all the arc that I can get.

I would advise that you get an actuator that says it is Heavy Duty as the drive tube is thicker and stronger to help move a big heavy BUD dish and in fighting heavy winds and or if it snows where you live and a HD actuator will likely last longer. I also advise everyone to get a actuator protective (Weather BOOT) that will keep rain water and melting snow from washing out the grease inside the actuator and rusting the actuator, an actuator with a boot will normally last several years longer than an actuator without a boot.

Good Luck

Return to “Actuators/Motors”