Such a thing as a signal splitter?

Switches, cables, heaters, signal meters and more.
belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Such a thing as a signal splitter?

Post by belter-one » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:43 pm

Hello,

I have two receivers I am using at this time, a ZGemma-H7 and a Edison mio 4k plus. I would like to use the C and Ku signals from a 10 foot dish on both of these receivers simultaneously when it makes sense to. Is there a splitter that one can hook up that would allow the single C and Ku signals to be split up into two imputs each for each receiver? Would an amplifier be needed? Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

belter-one

Captain Ron
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: Such a thing as a signal splitter?

Post by Captain Ron » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:54 pm

Not all splitters will do what you are wanting, some are for OTA only and do not allow the pass through of voltage. When dealing with Satellite you need to make sure everything you use has (Power Pass) that allows the Satellite Receivers voltage (13v or 18v) to pass through to the LNB to power it.

Based on what little you've told us I believe what you probably need a Satellite (3x4 or 4x4 multi switch). If you are using one LNB that does both C-Band and Ku-Band (1 LNBF with 2 outputs total - 1 C-Band and 1 Ku-Band) then a 3x4 multi switch may work for you.

If your BUD dish has two separate LNB's (C-Band and a Ku-Band LNB's) with 2 outputs each (4 outputs total) you might be better off with a 4x4 multi switch.

These will feed up to 4 Receivers and are fairly cheap ($10 - $20 each) for most brands.

Good Luck!

belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by belter-one » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:45 pm

Captain Ron wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:54 pm
Not all splitters will do what you are wanting, some are for OTA only and do not allow the pass through of voltage. When dealing with Satellite you need to make sure everything you use has (Power Pass) that allows the Satellite Receivers voltage (13v or 18v) to pass through to the LNB to power it.

Based on what little you've told us I believe what you probably need a Satellite (3x4 or 4x4 multi switch). If you are using one LNB that does both C-Band and Ku-Band (1 LNBF with 2 outputs total - 1 C-Band and 1 Ku-Band) then a 3x4 multi switch may work for you.

If your BUD dish has two separate LNB's (C-Band and a Ku-Band LNB's) with 2 outputs each (4 outputs total) you might be better off with a 4x4 multi switch.

These will feed up to 4 Receivers and are fairly cheap ($10 - $20 each) for most brands.

Good Luck!
Hi Captain,

Thank you for the very useful information. I am currently using a single C/Ku LNB from tek2000. So a 3 x 4 switch would work, I think? The Ant (OTA antenna input terminal) unfortunately is not needed as we have mountains between us and any possible OTA broadcasts that would be interesting. Cool. I will purchase one and give it a go and report back here if successful.

Much appreciated, :respect

belter-one

Captain Ron
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Captain Ron » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:37 pm

belter-one wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:45 pm

I am currently using a single C/Ku LNB from tek2000. So a 3 x 4 switch would work, I think?

belter-one
I looked at the LNB you mentioned and I believe it only has one output on C-Band and one from Ku-Band then you may only be able to watch 1 C-Band channel on one receiver and 1 Ku Band channel on the other receiver (from the same satellite).

I might be wrong but I believe the only way you will be able to watch 2 C-Band channels (different C-Band channel on each receiver) is if the C-Band LNB has two outputs, same for the Ku Band LNB and thats how you could watch 4 different channels on up to 4 receivers at the same time with a 4x4 switch.

So if you mainly watch C-Band having a dual output LNB is are going to give you the best results as you will be able to watch different C-Band channels on your two receivers at the same time.

If you had two LNB's (both with dual outputs = 4 LNB outputs) then you could watch different channels on 4 receivers connected to a 4x4 switch.

Hope this clarifies.

Good Luck !

belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by belter-one » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:00 pm

Hi Captain,

Thank you for the follow up. I did a little more reading on this topic, and it now makes sense as to why a 3 x 4 splitter/switch will not work in my case. The voltage differs from H to V feeds. As only one voltage at a time can be passed from a receiver through the singular coax cable to the LNB, it can only interact with one receiver at a time. Good times. :-)

Switching back to plan B, :bananna:

belter-one

Return to “Accessories”