Proposed 5G spectrum allocation will kill DTV and Dish Network

Discussions not based on facts or objective evidence will be moved here.
Articles: 0

Proposed 5G spectrum allocation will kill DTV and Dish Network

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:23 pm

Dish wants to use the 12GHz band for 5G transmissions. Are they retarded? Both dth satellite services are currently using the same band. Do they really think that any satellite customer who experiences interference will continue subscribing? :thinking

https://www.fiercewireless.com/regulato ... -ghz-fight

SpaceX is also using the same band. Even more interference. :frown

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: Proposed 5G spectrum allocation will kill DTV and Dish Network

Post by fatso » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:28 pm

If the little dish folks are experiencing interference they can always migrate to c band. The band between 4 - 4.2 ghz is protected and all programmers are moving here. The bud will still be around after the little dish services are long gone. :bigsmile
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

Z_finigan0415

Post by Z_finigan0415 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:52 pm

Little dish. Direct TV. Is supposed to be ending satellite service anyways. Dish network is not doing to hot.

Orby is new. They only use 2 transponders. For there service. Plus if you didn't know. The dth on ku. Has real strong signal I doubt it's going to make it any worse.
They all go out Durning storms.
So let them have my. It's a win for c band 🤪

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:33 am

Orby will be fine since they transmit on 11.940 and 11.980 GHz. The others will have a problem, since they transmit between 12.2 - 12.7 GHz. Terrestrial 5G radiation will enter the dish sidelobes and cause the usual interference symptoms people experience with the lower C band spectrum. Starlink interference on the other hand, could enter through the main beam and wash out the dish signal completely.

Starlink will likely prevail. After all, if they can usurp all of NASA's rocket technology, have the taxpayer foot the bill for the construction of their massive satellite constellation, the string pullers behind Elon Musk must own the US government. The 'deep state' and SpaceX are one and the same. :sad: That being said, Dish and Direct will probably be told to use only the lower ku spectrum, say 12.2 - 12.5 GHz and ka spectrum, while the rest is expropriated (similar to C band). The only difference is, the C band providers can resort to 16 apsk modulation and hevc compression to keep the picture quality looking the same, whereas Dish/Direct are constrained by legacy hardware and all they can do is compress their signals even more, which will look awful!

When this is all over, Orby may have the 'best' picture quality of all the satellite services, after C band of course! :wink:
Administrator
([email protected])

DRIVN78415
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by DRIVN78415 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:35 pm

5g is nothing to cause alarm to 10footer users cause its not large of a issue to begin with but I been noticing every-time musk spacex launch starlink satellites it causes something happen yesterday ..not sure it started was all day or half the night..but every satellite from western belt causing interference from starlinks with pattern of every tick or tock signal drop from main feeds..not from user side..i check every connections all working fine in my end so their end they having problems with starlink launches causing interference from spreading low orbit satellites across the hemisphere is causing upper satellites in far distance have difficultly to penetrate the ground....someone need take their matter in their owned hands to stop every launches ..my fear elon musk is gonna destroyed cband if we continue sit longer..not cell phone companies or 5g folks..but star-link are really causing issue with bigger dishes users to get stable signal , today is working back normal but signal got little weak, how long before musk get 100% online...cband will be cease of existence if we continue do nothing , cband is last mile for us for watching without getting caught :twisted: my biggest fear...30,000 starlink sats can produce enough emission energy that planet do not deserve or need to cook our planet more..with virsus and deadly bacteria becoming unpredictable ..we humans gonna suffer great loss for our humanity to have any normality from now to future ..we are setup for self destruction by folks who thinks space is playground to clutter with toys...elon musk is good example we can't have people like him ruin our lives next

my solution to this problem is call every senator and tell them what elon musk is doing will be big problems road ahead when our trump administration have not put any effort put a regulation on space objects and limit the number to keep it under control..if we continue uncheck with our government, elon musk will continue do harm on our planet and other satellites from floaters and debris ..this is no game ..this is our human lives are in stake for this..we need regulation on satellites amount allowed to keep same number for every 30 years ...the same number allowed in safe levels emission allowed..

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by dishcrank » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:29 pm

Orby TV will be affected. Here is the proposed Starlink spectrum usage:

Transmissions from satellite to user terminals: 10.7 – 12.7 GHz and 37.5 – 42.5 GHz
Satellite to gateway transmissions: 17.8 – 18.6 GHz and 18.8 – 19.3 GHz and 37.5 – 42.5 GHz
Transmissions from terminals to satellites: 14.0 – 14.5 GHz and 47.2 – 50.2 GHz and 50.4 – 51.4 GHz
Transmissions from gateways to satellites: 27.5 – 29.1 GHz and 29.5 – 30.0 GHz and 47.2 – 50.2 GHz and 50.4 – 51.4 GHz
Tracking, telemetry and control (downlink): 12.15 – 12.25 GHz and 18.55 – 18.60 GHz and 37.5 – 37.75 GHz
Tracking, telemetry and control (uplink): 13.85 – 14.00 GHz and 47.2 – 47.45 GHz

Starlink will not be using the C band. :bigsmile
Last edited by dishcrank on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by dishcrank » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:42 pm

The Starlink service will cost $99/month and the phased array antenna with modem is a one time cost of $499. They are promising over 100 mbps down and 10 mbps up speeds. Since it is C band friendly, I will definitely be giving it a try when it is available in my area. I honestly don't see how the 5G ground services can compete with Starlink. It is like comparing horse and buggy technology to a flying car. :biggrin

starlinkant.png
starlinkant2.png

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:27 am

Oh, I didn't know they wanted 10.7 - 12.7 GHz. That will affect ALL ku satellite programming. Maybe ku FTA will disappear and move to the protected C band spectrum 4 - 4.2 GHz. Boy, they sure didn't leave much spectrum for TV providers, which means all the programmers will upgrade to 16 apsk / hevc to fit into that narrow band. At least there won't be any interference, but of course, you will need a minimum 10' dish to lock 16 apsk.
Administrator
([email protected])

DRIVN78415
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by DRIVN78415 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:39 pm

either-way it doesn't matter what frequency they used., we all gonna be infected since ku might be heavy infected when starlink is at 100% online from 30k low orbit sats that is problem to GPS, Military sats, weather sats and tv sats that is 30k-40k far distance gonna have problem penetrating through the low orbit clutter is becoming apparent a huge net..

but anyway, the good news is those sats have shorter lifespan when it cost lot more for musk for the launch and maintaining operating condition, so i doubt starlink not gonna make any difference in customer generating as VIASAT does...and reason I say this, elon musk gonna loose money for this project when only small number only subscribing to them is nothing compare to fiber and cable internet subs are over 160 million for usa...starlink is under-performing than VIASAT is..its a loss that will become short-lived internet sat due to cost and not generating buzz that all the effort can be done by calling ATT or your cable company for connection..that is very simple for customers than expensive kit and tweaking the dish more often ...while getting 30mb during snow winter and gonna 150mb during normal weather...not everyone gonna get same 150mb/s for all locations..

i am enjoying my cable internet without interruption from any weather condition since they are underground while TV headends using fiber, i am surprise grande communication still using earth terminal ports for their programming while spectrum went all fiber for everything..time warner sold all those big dishes during auctions..how neat that i miss that opportunity in my location when timewarner sold them and merge with charter to become spectrum

its why having 300 mb/s for fraction of the cost paying $50 per month service only..no equipment to rent

Eugene

Post by Eugene » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:33 pm

tvroadmin wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:27 am
Oh, I didn't know they wanted 10.7 - 12.7 GHz. That will affect ALL ku satellite programming. Maybe ku FTA will disappear and move to the protected C band spectrum 4 - 4.2 GHz. Boy, they sure didn't leave much spectrum for TV providers, which means all the programmers will upgrade to 16 apsk / hevc to fit into that narrow band. At least there won't be any interference, but of course, you will need a minimum 10' dish to lock 16 apsk.
Starlink doesn't interfere with existing Ku signals in the 10.7-12.7 GHz range. The beams off the Starlink satellites are oriented such that the Starlink satellite dish has to be oriented toward the north. The service is already up and running, in beta mode, on the Ku frequencies between 44 and 52 degrees north latitude.

Return to “Rumors”