OTA recption and hills question

Discuss all aspects of over-the-air (OTA) digital television.
belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

OTA recption and hills question

Post by belter-one » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:47 pm

Hello,

There are OTA channels from several cities I would like to receive that are 50 and 100 miles away. In between these two cities are hills from 1000 - ~1400 feet in height about 30 miles or so from our home. We will be able to clear the trees around our home with an antenna on a pole, and many of these trees are being removed so they don't destroy our home. My question is will the hills in between the signal sources and our home interfere or completely brick us out of reception even though they are ~ 30 miles from our home and 20 or 80 miles away from the signal source. Any information you all could share would be very helpful.

Hoping these signals bounce off the ionisphere,

belter-one

Z_finigan
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: OTA recption and hills question

Post by Z_finigan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:08 pm

I can tell you. The hills you are talking about will block it.

I lived in a town in NJ. In the 90s. And we were lower near the bays. And we did not pick up any TV stations.
We even tried to get wireless cable back then. And they told us no. Because they could not guarantee the signal.
Now when a plain flew over. Oh yeah. What an amazing picture. Few seconds.

So. If you hook up an antenna. And don't get anything. There is a chance you will not get anything.
Weather effects it as well. Cloudy sky could cause skip. And you'd get more TV. I use to hate it. Because some days were better then others.
I'd get a big satellite.

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:26 pm

Try tvfool.com

Enter your zip code and antenna height and it will return available OTA channels and signal strength. You should be able to receive LOS and 1EDGE signals with a standard yagi antenna. 2EDGE and TROPO scattered signals require a huge antenna.
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by belter-one » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:30 am

Thank you,

For the replies and such useful information. I will check that website in the hopes that there are west coastal signals that can reach us.

Much appreciated,

belter-one

Return to “General OTA Television Discussions”