60 miles from home

Discussions about the hardware used for OTA terrestrial reception.
Snowman
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

60 miles from home

Post by Snowman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:04 pm

Hi all. Anyone want to recommend a good fringe antenna? Back in the 80s we could watch NBC,ABC,CBS and sometimes a very snowy CBC. Now i live in the same town just a different house. I bought 2 crappy RV antennas that promised the world and did not deliver one channel .

elko
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: 60 miles from home

Post by elko » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:42 pm

You will need a Yagi antenna from a company like Channel Master.

Get one with as many driven elements as possible (usually 15ft - 20ft long) and mount it as high as possible.

If your local TV market is just limited to NBC, CBS, ABC affiliates and not much else, you may wish to simply install a cband dish instead and pickup these feeds directly. Although this will cost a you a little bit more, you will also receive hundreds of other channels!

Browse this forum to see what other people are watching with a cband antenna.

Snowman
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Snowman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:44 am

Thanks for the help and yes I've been drooling over a big dish just trying to get the wife on board and save up the scratch to buy it :arguing lol

internetprofiles1
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by internetprofiles1 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:43 am

To get these channels this far I use a Antennas Direct model DB8E mounted outside. Its multidirectional but can get best reception if both bays are pointing in same direction. Doing this also allows reception of VHF band 2-13 whish was a nice surprise. I got it mounted about 25 feet it looks better than my old big directional antenna. It can get reliable OTA from towers 60-80 miles its very sensitive and I added a outdoor mounted pre-amp from radio shack. On a good day I can get channels from towers up to 120 miles away of course they wont stay in but I can get them. I've tried lots of antennas including buying a big directional antenna and those walmart antenna that claim 100 miles reception, they just don't work. The DB8E is the best one I've found. Channel Master has their own version Channel master 4228HD but I think the Antennas Direct DB8E is better rated, got mine online from bestbuy, but thanks to some fool messing up the inventory they sent me 4 of these :rotflmao: . I gave one away Still got 2 in box in my garage, maybe I'll sell them on ebay one day. In any case you need a 8 bay antenna with a outdoor pre-amp for reliable reception for that far, you no longer need those big outdoor antennas, they are just not designed for new digital reception. Of course you may know you need a digital box to now get OTA. Most channels are in HD now. Muti broadcasts by channels allows user to get more. I regularly get about 40 channels solid. This includes NBC, CBS, ABC PBS and FOX networks are all HD over the air. Like I said they multi cast now, so I also get stuff like Bounce TV, Grit, MyTV Retro TV etc.

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor

Post by tek2000 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:06 am

We carry long-range, fringe antennas for OTA:

http://www.tvrosat.com/phpBB-3.0/phpBB3 ... 6709#p6709
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America
[email protected]
(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

Return to “OTA Hardware”