DISH is sending Demand Letters (up to $7500) to IPTV 'subscribers'

Discussions about scams and swindles negatively affecting the television industry.
Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Re: DISH is sending Demand Letters (up to $7500) to IPTV 'subscribers'

Post by Arion » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:45 pm

I'd tell them to go piss up a rope myself. They figure a number of people will just agree to pay them without much hassle which is a win for them. And then if they file a lawsuit they figure you won't show up and they get a default judgment against you so another 'win' for them again without much cost. If OTOH you show up in court to contest it the local attorney hired to represent these cases isn't going to have much in the way of paperwork to prove anything. He is just going to have a print out and the documents that Dish Network legal filed against you.

You have to 'prove' your case in court. And that means records of credit card transactions along with verifiable chain of custody of the paperwork. And everything needs to be notarized and documented along the way. They simply aren't ready for people to contest it. And if you show up and there is no attorney for Dish Network there then the case is dismissed. If neither of you show up I still think there is a default judgment in favor of the plaintiff.
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Edison dual band STB's. Running OpenPli on all.

radon59

Post by radon59 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:29 am

Hello..

I am using a paid IPTV service and noticed the DirecTV logo pops up on the screen. Should I be concerned? Is DirecTV sending out similar letters?

One moment I am watching MLB and the next I see this

directv.png

mlbgames.png

Damn !! I thought they were legit. Hope DTV legal isn't sending out letters yet. Might have to cancel. Haven't done c band in years..Got a big dish in the yard but actuator appears to be seized. Will have to fix..What are y'all using for irds these days?

rusty
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by rusty » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:32 am

radon59 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:29 am
Should I be concerned?
No but MLB might be. :biggrin
radon59 wrote:
Is DirecTV sending out similar letters?
Nope, just Charlie so far.

radon59 wrote:
One moment I am watching MLB and the next I see this

directv.png
Must be coming from the DTV contractor who has the 100-year contract. :rotflmao:

https://www.tvrosat.com/forum/phpBB3/vi ... 252&t=5166
12' Cosmos Primestar (refurbished)36" SuperJack Actuator
Chaparral Corotor Feed (Norsat 8115, 4106A)
ZGemmaH7 UHD, OctagonSX88 HD, Edision UHD, DSR-6000, DSR-6050
Clarke Belt: 22W - 133W

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:08 pm

radon59,

Your big dish will get most of the MLB games. They can be found FTA on 103°W. There are also wild feeds of most ball games on many other satellites. Read this board and others and you will know where to look.

If anyone else in rural America has a big dish sitting on their property, you should seriously consider getting it back up and running. In most cases, if the reflector is not damaged, all you will need is a new feed, actuator, controller and receiver. You can purchase these items for couple hundred bucks from our sponsors. Also, read our TVRO Guides to get yourselves up to speed:

https://www.tvrosat.com/forum/phpBB3/vi ... .php?f=145

Rather than messing with these pirate streams, which are unreliable most of the time, and originate from Dish and DirecTV, might as well watch the 1st generation feeds direct from C-band where it all comes from anyway. And you will be 100% legal and saving money every month.
Administrator
([email protected])

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:34 pm

DirecTV was the first to send out letters to people buying smart card programmers back in the early 2000's. Dish Network is just copying their strategy. Bell has never sent letters to Canadians but that might be changing.
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

Return to “Scams and Swindles”