Seeking Guidance on Free-to-Air Satellite Receivers and Encrypted Channels

Discussions, tools and files related to all other receivers.
ILoveSats
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

Seeking Guidance on Free-to-Air Satellite Receivers and Encrypted Channels

Post by ILoveSats » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:58 pm

Hello Fellow Satellite Enthusiasts,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm currently in the market for a new satellite receiver, specifically one that can pick up Free-to-Air (FTA) channels. While browsing through Amazon, I came across several models, such as those from GT Media, that offer features like an 8.265 TV satellite decoder, CA smart card support, and Biss Auto roll.

From what I understand, these features are generally used for accessing pay channels. So, my first question is: Why would these features be included in a receiver that's marketed for FTA channels? Is there a specific advantage to having these features even if I'm only interested in FTA channels?

Additionally, I've been exploring this forum to find information on how to purchase services for encrypted channels. I've noticed that when using a Free-to-Air receiver, a blind scan can sometimes pick up encrypted channels. Is there a way to contact these specific stations to purchase their programming? I didn't find any threads that cover this topic, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I look forward to your insights and recommendations.
Attachments
Screenshot at 2023-09-05 21-01-08.png

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: Seeking Guidance on Free-to-Air Satellite Receivers and Encrypted Channels

Post by Arion » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:49 am

It’s a hack box and we don’t discuss those here. These are cheap Chinese receivers and mostly run an android operating system. They tend to be buggy with frequent reboots required and really don’t do a very good job at all with FTA purposes. Not to mention even if you are trying to save some money and use it for legit FTA if you connect it to the internet and the box is looking for keys there are other entities observing this and you might get a threatening letter from a lawyer or your ISP as the providers are sue happy today.

While just about any receiver can be used for illegal purposes those boxes are designed for it and lack some good features that Edison’s and others have for the FTA hobbyist.
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Edison dual band STB's. Running OpenPli on all.

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:04 am

We recommend you get a Linux - Enigma 2 type receiver (e.g. Edision OS mio 4K). The box will come flashed with legal FTA only firmware and all the satellites for North America. You can follow our instructions for making your own customs channels list. Since it runs Linux, which is open source, there is plenty of support. You can do all kinds of things with plugins like adding your own epg source, weather forecast and whatever else interests you.

As for conditional access slots, yes, some receivers have them while others do not. They are perfectly legal. The idea is to allow programmers in Europe and elsewhere to sell cam subscriptions. What is illegal is adding any kind of 3rd party software to watch encrypted programming without paying the content provider. That being said, we strongly discourage any piracy discussions here at TVROSat.

As for c band dish subscriptions, one company tried to sell them but the premium programmers were mostly not interested. You can still watch hundreds of high quality FTA channels on both c band and ku band. Best of all, the FTA programming tends to be mostly free of Woke/Marxist propaganda, unlike the premium paid content (e.g. NetFlix et al). Why pay these bums for programming that insults your cultural heritage, rewrites your history and calls you a racist? Stick to FTA instead. On 99W (ku band) you will even come across a fat, bald man :mrgreen: with his own anti-woke network raging about cultural Marxism and the Communist destruction of Western Civilization. It don't get any better than that!
Administrator
([email protected])

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Arion » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:13 am

I will add that I did buy one of those cheap Chicom boxes (not that model) as I read that it supported native 4:2:2 video that some of the networks and wildfeeds use. The only other FTA boxes that would do that was an old Azbox I believe that hasn’t been made in years and only rarely available for sale used.

To make a long story short it didn’t work. You would get some jerky video but the video was lagging the audio and was basically unwatchable. They used about the cheapest chipset and memory possible and the box just didn’t have the horsepower to render the video. Despite promises from them to upgrade the firmware they never did once they got your money. That is how I know how buggy the box is and how often you have to reboot the darn thing.

So for 4:2:2 back to the old standard of using webif to stream to the PC and then using vlc to render the video and using the computer hdmi out back to the tv. It would be very nice for a simple set top box that could do it but I guess there isn’t enough demand to be profitable.
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Edison dual band STB's. Running OpenPli on all.

ILoveSats
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by ILoveSats » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:30 pm

I extend my deepest gratitude to all contributors, especially Arion and the TV Ro Admin, for your invaluable insights and comprehensive guidance regarding Free-to-Air (FTA) satellite receivers. Your expertise has been enlightening and has saved me from a potentially regrettable purchase. I'm particularly grateful for the respectful and professional tone of this discussion, a commendable feat in forums where conversations can easily go berserk, especially when a piece of hardware like an FTA receiver is known by others to be used for illegal purposes.

I wholeheartedly agree with the TV Ro Admin's observation that FTA programming tends to be free of "woke" or politically biased content. However, I've noticed some exceptions. For instance, Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) content on 87 West and 99 West, particularly the News Hour, leans towards what some might consider "woke" or left-leaning viewpoints. Even international channels like NHK touch upon topics like climate change in a manner that could be perceived as politically charged. It's a bit disheartening to see these influences seeping into FTA channels.

For balanced news coverage, I've been tuning into the Victory channel's half-hour news segment on 97 West, as well as TBN's evening news broadcast delivered by Lindsey Keith at 7:30 PM. While generally unbiased, I've started to notice subtle hints of political leanings there as well.

On a related note, about two weeks ago, I stumbled upon a Fox News feed on 99 West that aired Hannity around 9:00 PM. I haven't seen it since and am curious if this is a regular occurrence. If anyone has information on whether Fox News feeds appear regularly in the evening on 99 West, I'd be grateful to know.

Given these observations, I'm curious to know if a more reputable receiver, like the Linux - Enigma 2 types you've recommended, would offer me a broader range of unbiased content. Could such a receiver's advanced features or better performance allow me to tap into channels or feeds that offer a more balanced viewpoint?

Your further thoughts and recommendations would be incredibly valuable as I continue to explore the world of satellite television.

Thank you once again for your time, expertise, and the respectful tone maintained throughout this discussion. I eagerly await your continued guidance.

Thank You!

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:39 pm

Most of us around here are using the Edision OS mio 4K linux receiver. It can tune all dbv-s2 / dvb-s2x / hevc / 16psk / 4K signals. It also supports blindscan which makes it easy to spot new feeds. Check the specs on this receiver and buy something equivalent or better. In general, the faster the chip set and the more memory and extra tuners means more $$$$$$$$$. Prices range from $150 - $500.
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

ILoveSats
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by ILoveSats » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:12 am

Thank you for your prompt response. I've heard quite a bit about the Edison OS mio. Currently, I'm using a different receiver with a blind scan feature. Could you please elaborate on how Edison OS enhances the process of scanning satellites for new feeds? While the basic functionality of scanning for new feeds is clear to me, I'm interested in understanding if there are any unique features or technical specifications that make this system more advantageous. Your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Arion » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:00 pm

The OSmio plus along with some others run the Linux operating system which is open source. Being open source there are many different software images for the receivers. They come from the factory with OpenATV but there are many different flavors available;

https://www.enigma2.net/category/images ... o-4k-plus/

And there are literally hundreds of different plug ins and options for the receiver depending on if you just want to hunt for satellite signals or turn your receiver into a full PVR with external hard drives. The customizations are almost endless.

There is a bit of a learning curve involved but once you understand the basics you can try many of the various packages and experiment. I run OpenPLI for the most part but the Osmio plus along with other Enigma 2 capable receivers are multi-boot so you can run up to four of the operating systems images and when you boot the machine you can choose which one you want to use.

I can't say that the Edison blind scan is superior to model 'x' but there are many different websites as well as this one where people share their finds. I still blindscan occasionally but pretty infrequently unless I am looking for a specific game I want to watch and if it is available FTA usually someone finds it and posts it at Rick's.

ILoveSats
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by ILoveSats » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:57 am

@Arion when you said "if you just want to hunt for satellite signals" are you suggesting hunting signals from a satellite not listed on TVROSAT?

Return to “All Other Receivers”