Using a C/Ku switch to access two receivers.

Discussions about the hardware used for satellite reception.
belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Using a C/Ku switch to access two receivers.

Post by belter-one » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:58 pm

Hello,

I am pretty sure this will work. I have two coax cables from the LNB on our dish run into the house, one for C band and one for Ku band. I want to switch back and fourth between a ZGemma-H7 receiver and an Edison Mio 4K plus receiver. I think this can be done by:

* Hook up the C band cable to a 2x1 switch.
* Run the A coax feed of the switch to receiver one.
* Run the B coax feed of the switch to receiver two.
* Hook up the Ku band cable to a second 2x1 switch.
* Run the A coax feed of the switch to receiver one.
* Run the B coax feed of the switch to receiver two.
* Set Toneburst in the Tuner Configuration window for receiver one to A for all satellites in receiver one.
* Set Toneburst in the Tuner Configuration window for receiver two to B for all satellites in receiver two.
* Only have one receiver powered up at a time.
* When powering down a receiver, issue "shutdown -h now" at the commandline before powering it down.

I have two 2x1 switches. Is there any reason why this will not work? I will always take care to only have one receiver powered up at a time. Any comments on this will be greatly appreciated, as most of you all are master craftsmen of all things dish. :-)

Cheers,

belter-one

belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: Using a C/Ku switch to access two receivers.

Post by belter-one » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:05 pm

Hello,

It works. With one welcome caveat: It was not necessary to change any settings in the receiver settings window. I am sure this will not work if both receivers are powered up at the same time. I am not going to test this to find out.

All good here,

belter-one

Captain Ron
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Captain Ron » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:13 pm

Congrats on getting it working.

Depends on how many cables you have going from the dish into your home to the receivers.

If you have 2 coaxes going to your house you should be able to watch different channels on each receiver at the same time with a 2x2 or 2x4 satellite switch.

belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by belter-one » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:44 pm

Hi Captain,

Thank you for your reply. I found out some useful information on why to never do what I did. If someone were to run the two receivers at that same time, with one transponder requiring 13V and the other transponder requiring 18V, then the receiver accessing a 13V transponder would get damaged. I will never let this happen as only one receiver will be powered up at a time. I am convinced to get a correct piece of hardware and install it in place of these two 2x1 switches. These switches, I think are now damaged and unusable. Just wanted to mention this so no-one ends up zorching a receiver because of the content of this thread.

Thank you and have a great day, :-)

belter-one

Captain Ron
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Captain Ron » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:31 am

Pretty sure the only way it will work like you are wanting is to have C and Ku LNB's with (dual outputs) and also you need two LNB coaxes between the house and dish. and instead of a 2x1 switch you need a 4x2 or 4x4 satellite switch at the satellite connecting to two coaxes going to the house.

Like the image below (notice coaxes from LNB's are crossed so both receivers can feed off both LNB's.

Return to “Satellite Hardware”