Titanium ASC1 being discontinued

Discussions about controllers used to position your dish and track the satellite arc.
dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Titanium ASC1 being discontinued

Post by dishcrank » Thu May 16, 2019 3:10 am

Titanium has announced the ASC1 is being discontinued. :eek:

Limited stock and spare parts available if you need them.

http://www.titaniumsatellite.com/

Tags:

Victoria
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: Titanium ASC1 being discontinued

Post by Victoria » Thu May 16, 2019 4:41 am

Apparently Trumpkins is to thank for this. Straight from the horse's mouth:
Due to a significant increases in both manufacturing and shipping costs during the past few years and the continuance of the 25% tariff that we have been paying on electronic imports for the past 8 months, it no longer makes business sense to distribute the ASC1.

Shopped the ASC1 build to many North American shops and without exception, the manufacturing cost bids far exceeded the estimated cost of importing at current cost and tariff. Was hoping that the 25% tariff would be only a temporary tax that would end before we ran low on stock, but the tariff war has now escalated and it has been suggested that the tariff on electronics will likely increase. With the minimum production quantity exceeding over a year of sales, it is far too risky to manufacture. With the ASC1 cost already at the high end for most hobbyists, raising the price to offset these increases isn't a realistic option.
Elections have consequences.

Dishman Dan
TVRO Promoter
TVRO Promoter

Post by Dishman Dan » Fri May 17, 2019 3:12 am

dishcrank wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:10 am
Titanium has announced the ASC1 is being discontinued. :eek:
:goody Good riddance!!!... The units were a flop when they first came out. On top of that they were overrated and way too pricey for most free to air people.

I have no respect for Brian at Titanium. What kind of businessman posts negative crap (Recently Satelliteguys) about Rainier a legal C band subscription service but caters to others and knows a lot of them are pirates?? Brian also portrays himself as a manufacturer of satellite equipment. The stuff he SELLS is imported from factories that he does not own and probably never stepped foot in. I would not doubt that those items are just private labeled for him. :wink:

xee
TVRO Retired
TVRO Retired

Post by xee » Sat May 18, 2019 2:28 am

Dishman Dan wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:12 am
:goody Good riddance!!!...
I got screwed around by Brian over the years too, I can understand Dishman Dan's frustration.

Titanium
TVRO Salesman
TVRO Salesman

Post by Titanium » Sat May 18, 2019 10:09 am

Thank you to the members who support the niche products and all resellers that support our FTA hobby. The ASC1 has been a great seller over the past five years, but as was pointed out, the product cost was at the upper end of the range for most hobbyists. The cost to produce another batch was too high and I didn't believe that a retail increase to continue production would be wise business decision.

Zee, please let me know the details. I make every attempt and take great pride in providing a great customer experience. If I fell short, I would like the opportunity to correct any issue. The majority of business in this hobby is via peer to peer recommendations. I highly value my customers and make every effort to earn their trust and honest referrals.

To understand where Dan is coming from with his comments one needs to know of his long history with Glen Musielak. Dan has been part of Glen's private satellite forum group for many years and is a strong Rainier supporter. Yes, I am sure that my advice for potential subscribers to research Rainier Satellite and Glen's history before purchasing does not set well with Dan. I never have said, nor have needed to say anything that was untrue or hearsay about Glen or Rainier. If anyone is interested in the attack that Dan is referencing, here is a link.
www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/rainie ... 5h.380102/

Dan, the ignorance and lies regarding Ti product development and production and and your need to slander me is truly deplorable. I respect your participation and sharing of knowledge in many forums, but this bullshit is beneath you...
Titanium - Brian Gohl
He who dies with the most toys... is dead. - unknown
:beer

Dishman Dan
TVRO Promoter
TVRO Promoter

Post by Dishman Dan » Sat May 18, 2019 1:45 pm

Titanium wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:09 am
Dan, the ignorance and lies regarding Ti product development and production and and your need to slander me is truly deplorable. I respect your participation and sharing of knowledge in many forums, but this bullshit is beneath you...
Truth is NOT slander. :noway

I am a early Rainier subscriber and still am today! I love C band and FTA and have been a C band subscriber for years!!! :mrgreen:
(Remember NPS???)

As for my "ignorance" (Thanks for the kind words to one of your customers! Now that is slander!) pertaining to production is not a lie as far as I can research. Do you actually own your own production facility??? I am asking a honest question here. You are portrayed as a manufacturer of products but I label you as a developer and distributor of such products since your actually do not make them yourself. So how is that slander???

I have 2 of your ASC1 units which are giving me problems. You will not help me out just because I am a C band subscriber to Rainier. I bought my ASC-1 from you early on and possibly the first batch. When I was on legalfreetoair I posted the idea for you to send out replacement units for when the first units failed and let the hobbyists tinker with the defective ones which you did. (I was banned from legafreetoair for posting that Rainier now has channels when they offered there first ones which I subscribed to.) It looks like Zee has posted slander because he has a problem with your product.)

I have purchased satellite equipment from many sellers. No other seller ever gave me a hassle when I needed assistance.

Dishman Dan
TVRO Promoter
TVRO Promoter

Post by Dishman Dan » Sat May 18, 2019 2:04 pm

Part of being and staying in business is taking care of ALL of your customers to make them happy! :grin:

A happy customer will return and buy more from you! :wink:

Dishman Dan
TVRO Promoter
TVRO Promoter

Post by Dishman Dan » Sat May 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Titanium wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:09 am
I never have said, nor have needed to say anything that was untrue or hearsay about Glen or Rainier. If anyone is interested in the attack that Dan is referencing, here is a link.
www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/rainie ... 5h.380102/
I did not read the whole thread there but I see someone named "Titanium" liking posts in that thread which to me means you are agreeing with the post. :sinister

Titanium
TVRO Salesman
TVRO Salesman

Post by Titanium » Sat May 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Dan, You know that I have never refused to help you because you have a Rainier system. That is pure hogwash. Feel free to share any communication that we have had where I indicated this. If you assumed this was the case, you are incorrect!

I have helped Bob with Rainier, several Cisco IRD owners and a technician during the past four years with intergrating DiSEqC 1.2 controllers (ASC1 and GBox) with the Rainier Cisco receivers. Call or email me and we will see what we can do to solve your problem. Like every customer and satellite hobbyists in general, you have always been welcome to contact me.

Yes, I recall our communication regarding the free replacement of the initial batch of defective ASC1 units. That is what we did and it was the right thing to do for the customer and the business. Anyone who received a unit from the initial batch was shipped a free replacement at zero cost and they kept the original unit even if it had no issue. In your opinion, did we handle this issue properly?

No, I never have owned a factory and never claimed to. I contract the manufacture of products that I have designed and developed for both Ti brand and under license for several international customers. Much different process to book and oversight a contract manufacturing contract than to label OEM products (like was done and explained to hobbyists with the OEM CK1S combo model). Because I now own a small business and directly run daily operations, i rarely get to visit factories during production anymore. Have several independant third party contracted engineers who provide manufacturing oversight and overnight production sample pulls. This is the way that niche product contract manufacturing is now typically managed.

I never have participated in, promoted or condoned theft of service. I do not knowingly associate with anyone involved with TOS. if there is someone that that I associate with who promotes or participates in TOS, please let me know. TOS is the black eye of our hobby and I have no interest in supporting.

Hope to hear from you next week!
Titanium - Brian Gohl
He who dies with the most toys... is dead. - unknown
:beer

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by dishcrank » Sun May 19, 2019 12:11 am

For the record, I've never had any issues with Titanium products including the ASC1.

@brian: Have you considered doing the assembly in the USA? You'd need a pick-and-place machine and reflow oven. Parts could be sourced locally and PCB too. Isn't this the point of Trump's tariffs?

Return to “Positioners”