Rural Canadians will lose OTA Channels

Discussions about the latest OTA industry news.
tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Rural Canadians will lose OTA Channels

Post by tvroadmin » Tue May 21, 2019 12:40 am

Small-city and rural Canadians could lose their free TV
Anis Heydari · CBC News · Posted: May 13, 2019 8:51 AM MT

Shaw Direct asks CRTC to end program meant to replace over-the-air signals

localtv.png
Shaw Communications has asked the CRTC for permission to cut off free television to tens of thousands of Canadians in small cities and rural areas by ending a program to replace signals lost when broadcasters stopped transmitting via analog eight years ago.

In a recent application to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, Shaw's home satellite service advised the broadcast regulator it wanted to terminate the Local Television Satellite Solution (LTSS).

The LTSS provided minimum access to Canadian television services, including CBC, Radio-Canada, CTV, Global and Citytv. It was only available free if a household was in an area that previously received over-the-air signals free through an antenna, and lost them in 2011 when transmission converted to digital.
Full Story
Administrator
([email protected])

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator

Re: Rural Canadians will lose OTA Channels

Post by tvroadmin » Tue May 21, 2019 1:09 am

If you are a rural Canadian and recently lost your free TV, not to worry, C-band satellite to the rescue!

A large C-band dish will give you access to some Canadian locals like CTV (8 master feeds in HD), City-TV, ICI HD, RDI HD, ArTV HD, The Weather Network HD and hundreds of US channels, including the major networks: ABC HD, NBC HD, CBS HD.

There is no monthly subscription for all this and you will have access to sports wild feeds, news feeds, international programming and 4K programming. This is all 100% legal and nobody can fine you or take you to court for watching free TV.

All you need is a BIG satellite dish from one of our sponsors:

Tek2000

Satellites-Gallore

tvro_mesh10ft_1.jpg

tvro_solid10ft_3.jpg
Administrator
([email protected])

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator

Post by tvroadmin » Tue May 21, 2019 1:24 am

I have also been told that the CBC and TVO master feeds were once FTA but have recently encrypted. There were quite a few of these feeds for all regions in Canada until recently. If you are a Canadian taxpayer, you should be mad as hell. :angrydude To add insult to injury, these tax-payer funded Canadian TV channels offer there content to a company called Rainier Satellite that re-sells it to American viewers for a profit. :boo! This is OUTRAGEOUS.

If you all make enough noise and contact your Member of Parliament in Canada about this, they may be forced to drop the encryption for the benefit of rural Canadian viewers.

These Canadian Channels are found on these c-band satellites:

101W
4020H 28000
CBC Toronto HD, TVO HD, CTV Toronto HD, City-TV Toronto HD

97W
3990 H 9700
CBC Atlantic HD, Télé-Québec HD

RAISE SOME HELL.
Administrator
([email protected])

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Post by fatso » Sat May 25, 2019 12:02 am

I've been warning about this for a while. Once they shut off rural terrestrial transmissions, they will do the same in the cities. There are NO plans for atsc 3.0 in Canada. :reallyangry
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

HappySatellite
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Post by HappySatellite » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:01 pm

I checked my Shaw LTSS receiver this morning September 2 and it was still showing CHCH and all the other channels for my region. The ones that I have got all along.
I like CHCH it is the closest thing that Canada has to MeTV.
The Ltss may be extended but the Customer service from Shaw have been telling customers that is is ending Sept 1st. But it was part of the agreement with the CRTC to allow Shaw Cable to have Global!
My opinion is that Shaw and Bell should have a Basic Free service for the channels that are on Air in Canada. For example the public channels such as CBC and TVO, And Know should be ITC. (Also the French channels that tax dollars are paying for)

I have been posting about this to all the Candidates running in the Federal election in October. If I get a chance to go to a Town Hall meeting I will bring it up. Let your local representative know. They do want to be elected!

There is a Change.org petition that has reached over 100 signatures!

I have started a Page and Group for the Canadian LTSS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/LTSSCanada

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3470306 ... 9343577744

I have had a good setup with my shaw receiver where I hooked it to my over the air antenna feed and it is c Close Circuit channel 3 Analog with the other ATSC digital channels using a slitter used to combine the antenna and output of the Shaw receiver!

Return to “OTA News”