Are you feeling this way too

For discussions not appropriate for any other forum. We reserve the right to moderate and/or remove any posts made here without notice.
norman881
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Re: Are you feeling this way too

Post by norman881 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:38 am

When I was stationed in Landstuhl Germany (83-85) we had an FSC-78 and GSC-39. The 78 was 60 feet across. The 39 was only 40 feet. The servo motors that controlled each dish were huge. We were the Atlantic Ocean link between Korea and Washington DC/Ft Meade.

When I didn't re-enlist for 6 more years (my only choice) I ended up in El Salvador and Honduras working on an 8 foot Tactical TSC-93 for the rest of my time. :)
10 FT Winegard Pinnacle w/Venture 36" Maxie Heavy Duty Ball Screw Actuator 90 cm Fortec w/DG380 and Avenger PLL LNBF Amiko HD265 & Edision OS Mio 4K Titanium ASC1 Controller & C1 PLL LNBF

jess76
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by jess76 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:58 pm

Norman probably could answer that question better than myself. I just stayed at my station and flipped the switches, turned the knobs, and pushed the buttons. Then watched and listened to see if the countermeasures were effective. We are almost to the point where no one is beyond the reach of "big brother". Jess out in California
9' mesh with c/ku feed horn,lnb's w/polorotor. Recievers hooked up: AZ prem hd., Pansat9500,and Manhattan. I have a few others in my colection including an old Satcruiser and a Captiveworks3000.

norman881
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by norman881 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:14 am

Hello Jess,

It sounds like you were an Satellite Operator. In 1982 when I enlisted they were caller 26R and being phased out. Some big brains decided that the 26Y people (me) that repair and maintain the equipment should also be operators. In 1982 there were a bunch of operators going through the 50 week satellite ground station equipment repair course with me. It's a small world since we could stay in touch around the world over the orderwire or the teletype. Thanks for the flash back.

Norman
10 FT Winegard Pinnacle w/Venture 36" Maxie Heavy Duty Ball Screw Actuator 90 cm Fortec w/DG380 and Avenger PLL LNBF Amiko HD265 & Edision OS Mio 4K Titanium ASC1 Controller & C1 PLL LNBF

jess76
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by jess76 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:58 am

My "MOS" was 202. We were to detect, de-crypt, and jam signals. One of our primary jobs was to cause "vt fuse" shells to explode when the transmitter inside the shells was activated. Shells were equipped with a transmitter/receiver that relied on "dopplor-shift" to "tell" the shell when to explode. Sending a signal to the receiver in the shell made them ineffective. We had a lot of different methods and types of jamming that could be used. I'm sure what we have now is way beyond what we had and could do back in the 60's. Jess out in California
9' mesh with c/ku feed horn,lnb's w/polorotor. Recievers hooked up: AZ prem hd., Pansat9500,and Manhattan. I have a few others in my colection including an old Satcruiser and a Captiveworks3000.

dishcrank
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by dishcrank » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Interesting info guys...so your job was basically to use these massive dishes in Germany to detect Soviet satellites and spy/jam them?

norman881
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by norman881 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:05 am

We beamed data 24x7 to Ft Detrick MD, and Fort Meade from Landstuhl. They also got data from Berlin and Augsburg satellite stations. There was also another large station in Turkey. I was wrong about Jess's job. It sounds like what we called electronic warfare in the 1980's.

Norman

jess76
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by jess76 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Yep! Most of our "stuff" was mobile. I think the site in Turkyie was being set up when I was in. Our goal was to interfere[jam} enemy signals. I did spend some time at Oatman Mt. site in AZ though. Those were RADAR dishes. Most of our equitment was on land but we did have a jammer in an L-19 aircraft. Jess out in California

Trang

Post by Trang » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:37 am

I agree with Jess davis cup winner odds is true as for me!!)
Play dolphins game
 always

Return to “OFF Topic Discussions”