Commercial dealer and forum sponsor.
tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
Articles: 0

Commercial and Consumer Grade 5G Anti-Interference Feeds Systems

Post by tek2000 » Tue May 31, 2022 12:46 am

All,

We have a variety of commercial and consumer grade 5G interference mitigation feed systems and components in stock. If you live near a major city or even a smaller town with a relatively high population density, it is only a matter of time before the wireless providers start using the lower c-band spectrum (3.5 - 3.8 GHz) and start causing interference problems with your satellite reception.

We recommend the following solutions depending on your location:

1. Extreme Rural: If there are no cities or towns nearby, you probably won't experience much interference, if any at all because the 5G signals will experience significant attenuation by the time they reach your dish. However, you may notice some transponders become "weaker" or you get the odd transponder with some video pixelation. The smaller your dish, the more common the problem. For example, you might not notice any issues on a 12 footer, but on an 8 footer, service interruptions will become noticeable.

In this case, the best solution is our dual output consumer grade 5G LNBF.

wimax38_dual_1.jpg
wimax38_dual_1.jpg (17.29 KiB) Viewed 2486 times

2. Near a town/city: If you are close to a major town or city, you will almost certainly experience some interference. If you haven't yet, it is only because your local 5G wireless provider hasn't started using the lower c-band spectrum. But, rest assured, they will eventually! In this case, the 5G interference will be more obvious and you will even notice it on a larger dish like a 12 footer. The most common problem will be the inability to lock many satellite transponders across the arc and video pixelation on some that you can lock.

In this case, we recommend you try our commercial grade dual output orthomode feed. The commercial grade LNBs have an excellent band pass filter response and will outperform any 5G consumer grade LNBF.

ortho_feed_double_5g_1.jpg
ortho_feed_double_5g_1.jpg (20.5 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
ortho_feed_single_5g_1.jpg
ortho_feed_single_5g_1.jpg (15.66 KiB) Viewed 2486 times

3. Town/City: If you live in a major town or city, once the 5G wireless transmitters are turned on you will experience complete service interruption on almost every transponder across the satellite arc. This happened to me about 6 months ago. :verysad

In this scenario, the only solution that will work is a mechanical waveguide type of band pass filter. A waveguide is a hollow mechanical device that can propagate microwaves without significant losses. The waveguide cross section can be either rectangular or circular. Most importantly for us, waveguides have the peculiar property of propagating all microwaves above a certain frequency and completely rejecting all others below that frequency. This is known as the cut-off frequency of the waveguide and depends on the dimensions of the device. Since all the 5G interference is below 3.8 GHz, it is fairly simple to design a waveguide with dimensions that will completely reject microwaves below 3.8 GHz and propagate the rest above 3.8 GHz. This is why a mechanical waveguide filter is so effective at suppressing 5G interference. Nothing else can match it.

ortho_feed_double_5g_16.jpg
ortho_feed_double_5g_16.jpg (15.43 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
ortho_feed_single_5g_13.jpg
ortho_feed_single_5g_13.jpg (16.66 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
ortho_feed_double_5g_7.jpg
ortho_feed_double_5g_7.jpg (19.19 KiB) Viewed 2486 times

In my case, my office is about half a kilometer from a 5G wireless tower. I tried all the microstrip filter LNBFs, LNBs and other such products, but none would work. Damn! :madd Then I remembered the peculiar property of waveguides :spin and started to play around with a crude circular waveguide (between the LNB and scalar) with inner diameter of 4.5 cm or less. Presto, most of the c-band transponders started coming back to life!

Anyhow, if you don't have a machine shop and don't want to construct your own waveguide, you can just buy the finished product from us. Heads up to TV/Radio stations which are mostly in major cities, these are the 5G products you need:

5G Waveguide Filter (for those who already have an orthomode feed horn)

5G Waveguide Single Out Feed System (for those who only need a single polarity)

5G Waveguide Dual Out Feed System (for those who need both polarities)

Guaranteed performance or your money back. Like I said, I am less than half a kilometer from a 5G Tower and I can report to you that I have recovered every single transponder across the satellite arc with very little insertion loss on a 12-ft mesh dish.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the technically minded, here is some more information about how 5G interference actually happens.

5G interference is caused by the undesired combining of several stronger RF carriers (e.g. f1, f2, f3, …) from one band (3.5 – 3.8 GHz) entering a nonlinear device (e.g. LNA, LNB) and producing unwanted frequencies in an adjacent band (3.8 – 4.2 GHz) that interferes with a much weaker c-band signal (e.g. fc-band). The nonlinear device causes harmonics to appear at the output: 2xf2-f1, 2xf3-f2, 2xf3-f1, etc. This is known as intermodulation distortion and is the reason why your c-band satellite reception will be lost if there are 5G transmitters in your vicinity.

Here is an example:

5G RF carriers: f1=3.5 GHz, f2=3.7 GHz, f3=3.75 GHz

Interference Output: 2xf2-f1=3.9 GHz

Interference Output: 2xf3-f2=3.8 GHz

Interference Output: 2xf3-f1=4.0 GHz

Notice the resulting c-band interference at 3.8, 3.9 and 4.0 GHz. In reality, the 5G wireless provider may be using dozens if not hundreds of different carrier frequencies between 3.5-3.8 GHz, which will result in intermodulation distortion across the entire upper c-band spectrum.

The only practical solution to this problem is to suppress the 5G carriers. This can be done either with an LNB microstrip filter or mechanical waveguide filter or a combination of both. LNB filters are effective for mitigating light 5G interference that is off-boresight. To mitigate much stronger 5G interference that is closer to boresight, a waveguide filter is necessary to suppress the interference before it enters the LNB and passes through any nonlinear devices.

ortho_feed_double_5g_1.jpg
ortho_feed_double_5g_1.jpg (20.5 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
ortho_feed_single_5g_1.jpg
ortho_feed_single_5g_1.jpg (15.66 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
ortho_feed_double_5g_16.jpg
ortho_feed_double_5g_16.jpg (15.43 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
ortho_feed_single_5g_13.jpg
ortho_feed_single_5g_13.jpg (16.66 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
ortho_feed_double_5g_7.jpg
ortho_feed_double_5g_7.jpg (19.19 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
wimax38_dual_1.jpg
wimax38_dual_1.jpg (17.29 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America
[email protected]
(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

Tags:

Return to “Tek2000”