New or used dish?

Introduce yourself here and let us know your TVRO background.
alphasat
Articles: 0

New or used dish?

Post by alphasat » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:17 am

Getting my feet wet with this hobby for the first time. I tested dave small dish systems but never got into buds. You guys suggest a new or used bud? What is the best size dish for South Dakota?

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor

Re: New or used dish?

Post by tek2000 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:57 am

Hello alphasat!

I think a 10' mesh antenna will work best for you and most backyard satellite enthusiasts. You can find it here.

Here's what is looks like:

tvro_mesh10ft_1.jpg
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America
[email protected]
(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

alphasat

Post by alphasat » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:41 am

Thanks for your input. I seem to recall my uncle's twelve foot bud produced crisper video while the smaller buds of friends and family would put out a grainier picture. That was back in the vcii era when everything was analog, so any advantage to a biiger dish today or do the smaller dishes work just as good now that everything is purely digital?? Is my sonicview 8000 any good for this stuff or do I need something else??

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Arion » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:01 am

With digital it's either 'there' or it isn't. A bigger dish won't give you a better picture but then again with a smaller dish you very well won't get the feed either. A Sonicview 8000 is well over 10 years old now and obsolete. It won't do DVB-S2 which probably about half the receivable channels are and it won't do 8-psk encoding or above which also a lot of the feeds are now.

The best receivers for the consumer market at a budget hands down are the Enigma 2 Linux boxes. The sponsor here carries the Edison Mio+ 4K receiver which will do just about anything although there are other E2 boxes that are cheaper along with less capability. Apple and oranges.

http://www.tek2000.com/cgi-bin/web.cgi? ... K%20UHD-ND
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Edison dual band STB's. Running OpenPli on all.

hoofum

Post by hoofum » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:06 am

I know I'm not the original postee, but I'm wondering if the Edison Mio+ 4K receiver is capable of receiving 4:2:2 video broadcasts. I don't see any mention on the website about it. If it did, it would be the only DVB receiver needed.

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Arion » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:54 am

Not natively, no. However you can stream to your PC over the webif interface and open the stream with VLC and play it on your computer monitor and it works fine.
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Edison dual band STB's. Running OpenPli on all.

Victoria
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Victoria » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:00 pm

Arion wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:54 am
Not natively, no. However you can stream to your PC over the webif interface and open the stream with VLC and play it on your computer monitor and it works fine.
At that point why would you not just cut out the middleman entirely and use a PC tuner card.

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Arion » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:58 am

Hard to do with an iMac. :wink:

I have a legacy Genpix Skywalker that I loved and I used TsReader a lot but when I ditched MicroSucks I also lost some capability. I do run a linux box on my notebook and I think there are some drivers for Linux with some of the external cards if you like to play with and compile kernels which I don't like to do.

eelstrebor
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by eelstrebor » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:13 pm

Victoria wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:00 pm
Arion wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:54 am
At that point why would you not just cut out the middleman entirely and use a PC tuner card.
PC tuner cards are more difficult to use - especially on the linux platform. My preference is to use an STB. I have 2 osmio4k's that I stream to either one of my PC's or one of my AndroidTV boxes. I'm not your average user, though, so my setup is more complicated.

Return to “New Members”