DMS Int. ku-band tuner Avenger PLL321S-2 setup

Discussions, tools and files related to ZGemma.
plambo
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

DMS Int. ku-band tuner Avenger PLL321S-2 setup

Post by plambo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:35 am

Hi, this http://www.dmsiusa.com/docs/pll321s-2-specs1.pdf seems to be among the best tuners available for Ku-band and the setup type should be as Universal LNB. Didn't work. Then I tried User defined and set parameters as in
https://www.tvrosat.com/forum/phpBB3/do ... &mode=view
but this also didn't work. The tuner works fine on another box, current consumption is stated to less than 165 mA and I only have SG-2100 motor inline, all connected to tuner B that has only 50 mA standby consumption with typical 200 mA while moving and maximum 350 mA perhaps at the limits. Tuner A has separate feed to C-band LNA which works fine.

What should be the setup for this LNB and do you have experience driving it with a DS-2100 which is same as HH-90 as far as I know.
Thanks,
plambo

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: DMS Int. ku-band tuner Avenger PLL321S-2 setup

Post by fatso » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:01 pm

Almost all ku lnbs I've tried work with the universal setting. The other thing you might want to try is turning on the 22kHz tone. It is suppose to select between upper and lower ku band, but I can't remember which is which... :lol:
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

plambo
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by plambo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:41 am

You are right fatso, the Universal LNB setup works just fine and the tone mode has to be left to the default Band mode which means low band 22 kHz off and conversely high band 22 kHz on. The User defined option also works fine but makes no sense to set the same parameters as come with the Universal.

I think it would be a good idea to put proven setups for ZGemma H7 for advanced LNBs and motors in this forum as a reference for newcomers. It would save me a lot of time during my debugging process. Maybe I should start a new tread with direct reference to the tested tuners but isn't it better our Professor to take notes and include this in the only manual that one can follow?

Now I have localized the culprit for my troubles in the SG-2100 motor. Once inserted in the feed it kills the supply and I need to do a soft reboot to get the power back. The same feed motor + LNB works on SonicView 8000 HD just fine and hence the confusion. Next step will be to make a fixture allowing measurement of the consumed current using the complete feed with the motor inline. The LNB is rated to use no more than 165 mA, and the motor specs for standby more are 50 mA, so the receiver should bail out at more than 200 mA per tuner to get into this trouble, not 500 mA as specified.

BTW, I have noticed option to specify the second, tuner B as motor feed. This doesn't work for me since I have two feeds each with a separate motor. Indeed, as you might expect the 12' BUD is moved by a separate motor that has its own power but with two motor I have no other choice but to use both tuners independently, one of the reasons I have selected this receiver after all reviews.

So my investigation will continue. FYI, I'm not just another electronics engineer, I have tons of practical experience in designing and repairing all kinds of systems including old TVs repairs and if tek2000 let me, I'll open the box and pinpoint the HW problems if eventually my debug identifies this as the braking point to this.I sincerely hope my motor is out of specs but then why the SonicView works just fine?

More to follow, pleasure to share my experience and get advisory here.
Best regards,
plambo

plambo
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by plambo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:23 am

After reading on other forums about problems powering in serial the motor SG-2100 and LNBs I just have decided to modify the motor to use external power supply which is preferable to adding external splitter and feed-through DC supply as explained elsewhere. The problem with that second option is that the DiSEqC signal that motor needs for control is 22 kHz and a typical DC feed won't pass this signal at the RF-only output without modifications. I was lucky to find the schematics (attached) and then motor modification was quite simple. Lift the left edge of L2 from the board (or install outside as I did) and connect it to the central pin of a plug installed on the bottom of the box or drill a hole and feed with a cable outside and connect to the positive wire. The negative wire or the plug outer pin should be connected to ground. L2 has label on the board, easy to find.

Now my ZGemma works just fine relieved from the power overload caused by the motor cascaded with LNB in the power supply. I didn't bother to actually measure the motor power consumption but it is rated up to 350 mA in moving mode, so combined with up to 165 mA supply for the LNB it already exceeds the stated specs of the receiver at 500 mA. My older SonicView 8000 HD is also rated at 500 mA power supply at the RF input but obviously could tolerate more.

So the conclusion is - ZGemma H7.AC has rather weak power supply at the RF inputs compared to older receivers and use it only to power LNBs, not also motors in the line.
SG2100  schematics.jpg

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Arion » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:19 pm

FWIW my Zgemma drives a 1.2 meter dish no problem at all. Never had an issue with it.
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Edison dual band STB's. Running OpenPli on all.

plambo
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by plambo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:49 pm

That's because V-box is powered externally and only uses the DiSEqC signal from the receiver. I'm also happy to have a V-box for my 12 ft C-band dish that won't need rework.

Return to “ZGemma”