Edision OS MIO+ 4K UHD Free To Air Satellite Receiver Set up and going!

Discussions, tools and files related to Edision.
HappySatellite
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Edision OS MIO+ 4K UHD Free To Air Satellite Receiver Set up and going!

Post by HappySatellite » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:06 am

Here is my first look at the Edison Mio

Having the channels already in made it much faster

Tags:

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor

Re: Edision OS MIO+ 4K UHD Free To Air Satellite Receiver Set up and going!

Post by tek2000 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:44 pm

Thanks HappySatellite and great video as always!

Some additional info.

1. This stb supports the AAC audio codec. Some TV channels are starting to use AAC and many of the talk radio stations found on 105W/4110V/7135 use it too. Someone was asking on another forum about this and the answer is yes. I was just listening to Rush Limbaugh. :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

2. There is also a DVB-S2X tuner. This tuner can handle 64, 128 and 256 APSK modulation, whereas the standard DVB-S2 tuner goes up to 32 APSK. :spin If you don't know what this means, basically, the higher the APSK, the more complex the signalling scheme, which means more efficient use of bandwidth. The providers will almost certainly take advantage of the higher order signalling for 4K/8K transmissions in order to conserve bandwidth. The downside is that you will need a bigger dish to handle the demodulation. We know that the 10ft dish handles 8PSK (2^3bits) just fine but struggles with 16APSK (2^4bits). But using the same bandwidth, they can transmit 4bits/3bits = 33% more data.

We know the future of TV broadcasts will be 4K and at the moment SES manages to squeeze 4 such channels in a single transponder using 8PSK / HEVC, so extrapolating a bit for the higher order schemes we get the table below.

ModulationBits/Signal4K channels/transponderDish Size (ft)
QPSK228ft
*8PSK3410ft
16APSK4512ft
32APSK5613ft
64APSK6814ft
128APSK7915ft
256APSK81016ft

* You are here

My guess is they will settle with 6 UHD feeds per transponder (32APSK/HEVC) or 8 UHD feeds per transponder (64APSK/HEVC), similar to the 6-8 HD feeds (8PSK/h.264) they currently transmit on each transponder. Are you guys ready? :mrgreen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-S2X
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America
[email protected]
(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor

Post by tek2000 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:16 pm

The Edision 4K+ stb is available for purchase if anyone is interested.

We also have 12ft antennas and 13.5ft antennas available for immediate shipment.
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America
[email protected]
(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

HappySatellite
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by HappySatellite » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:21 am

I was able to do a Blind Scan of G 16 and found almost 500 feeds. Now that there are gone how is the best way to remove all the channels on 99w Cband?

Free To Air Satellite TV Channels on Galaxy 16 @ 99.0°West - Global Geostationary Coverage Explained
THE HAPPY SATELLITE NERD EPISODE 87
In this video we do a Blind Scan with the #EdisonMio+4k #FTA #FreeSatelliteTV Receiver of G 16 and I explain how the coverage of satellite beams work.

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks Happy Satellite Nerd. I particularly liked the educational segment about satellite footprints.

A little known fact about satellite footprints is that most of those Atlantic satellites (e.g. 40.5W, 43.1W, 47.5W, 55.5W, 58W) can be received in the Americas as well as Western Europe. If you are in Spain, UK, France, Italy, Greece, Germany and even as far east as Russia, you can lock these satellites with a 10' or 12' antenna. There is quite a bit of FTA American programming on these satellites, including a 4K Nature channel. If you are an ex-pat living in Europe and want to watch TV from the USA, you might consider installing a big dish. Our sponsors like Tek2000.com do ship these antennas overseas. I hear it is almost as cheap to ship by sea freight to Western Europe as it is to truck them to the USA.

footprint43W.png
Administrator
([email protected])

Return to “Edision”