satdish
TVRO Retired
TVRO Retired
Articles: 0

Re: Dish IPTV - 44 HD channels on 97W are FTA

Post by satdish » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:21 pm

Here's the dish I'm using. :dancer:
9.0m.JPG
I am too cheap to pay for a banner slot to hawk my products so I spam this board instead. I am intolerant of the c band community, so I belittle them under different aliases. I post fake news on the guitar man's website. Now I am no longer welcome here.

satdish
TVRO Retired
TVRO Retired

Post by satdish » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:35 pm

Titanium wrote: When using a FTA STB without a controller or IRD providing the fixed 18Vdc LNB power, the STB usually is configured to switch the LNB polarity control voltage between 13Vdc and 18Vdc. When selecting a vertical transponder, the STB would output less voltage than the LNB is designed to operate on and the amplifier performance will drop. This is why hobbyist with STB V/H switching LNB power often experience lower performance on vertical transponders than on similar EIRP horizontal transponders.
The Cisco D9865 can be configured provide 18vdc to both H & V. :biggrin
I am too cheap to pay for a banner slot to hawk my products so I spam this board instead. I am intolerant of the c band community, so I belittle them under different aliases. I post fake news on the guitar man's website. Now I am no longer welcome here.

jess76
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by jess76 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:25 pm

After Motorola shut down at the end of 2010, we subbed to Direct through AT&T at that time, and later to Cable[Charter] and am now back to Direct. When they did the install for direct, there was all the old cable that was used, so the installer used what ever you want to call it, to make sure there was enough power to the new dish that they installed using the existing cable. He said it was a "power inserter" I still use my 922 to supply power to my lnb,s on my polorotor feed horn, so there is no voltage problem there. Jess out in California
9' mesh with c/ku feed horn,lnb's w/polorotor. Recievers hooked up: AZ prem hd., Pansat9500,and Manhattan. I have a few others in my colection including an old Satcruiser and a Captiveworks3000.

Titanium
TVRO Salesman
TVRO Salesman

Post by Titanium » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:45 pm

satdish wrote:The Cisco D9865 can be configured provide 18vdc to both H & V. :biggrin
I understood that a D9865 is not capable of receiving these FTA channels? Isn't it limited to 8PSK? Or are you pointing out that the Cisco has switchable LNB power settings. Sorry, I am confused. :-?

Most DVBS/S2 STB install menus have four settings for LNB power: OFF, Automatic 13/18Vdc, Fixed 18Vdc or Fixed 13Vdc. While the 18Vdc selection is great for powering LNBs with proper 18Vdc voltage, polarity selection becomes manual. Keeping the receiver LNB power setting for automatic 13/18VDC polarity switching allows for the user to either use an external voltage sensing polarity servo controller kit or a 13/18Vdc sensing polarity switch (either modified for 18Vdc output on both V and H LNB ports or placing an 18-24Vdc power inserter on the vertical LNB port).

Jess, Interested in the model or spec information on the unit installed in your subscription system. Maybe attach a photo? Some power inserters are voltage switching to allow usage with standard 13/18Vdc polarity switching LNBFs while other SWM inserters are used to provide a fixed voltage for bandstacked LNBFS. The voltage switching insertion type units are not very common, but they are great to use with multi LNBF FTA systems as they provide plenty of power without stressing the STB.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! I am thankful that we have so many free channels to watch! :)
Titanium - Brian Gohl
He who dies with the most toys... is dead. - unknown
:beer

Titanium
TVRO Salesman
TVRO Salesman

Post by Titanium » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:48 pm

satdish wrote:Here's the dish I'm using. :dancer:
9.0m.JPG
I understand your frustration to have such a beautiful big dish, an open sky and not be able to receive these channels. :cry:

The jpg tag says 9m. Is that the size? What model is it? Steep angle for 97w. What is your location?
Titanium - Brian Gohl

satdish
TVRO Retired
TVRO Retired

Post by satdish » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:38 pm

Titanium wrote:
I understood that a D9865 is not capable of receiving these FTA channels? Isn't it limited to 8PSK? Or are you pointing out that the Cisco has switchable LNB power settings. Sorry, I am confused. :-?
The 9865 receives 16APSK with a FW upgrade. It also will allow 18v in both H&V, and can be configured independently to each mux and polarity. Its power supply has the robustness to run current hungry LNB's too. Its really an excellent receiver.

Titanium
TVRO Salesman
TVRO Salesman

Post by Titanium » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:46 pm

satdish wrote:The 9865 receives 16APSK with a FW upgrade. It also will allow 18v in both H&V, and can be configured independently to each mux and polarity. Its power supply has the robustness to run current hungry LNB's too. Its really an excellent receiver.
Thanks for the 9865 LNB powering information.

Do you have any documentation on the ability to upgrade the 9865 for 16APSK and the supported FEC rates? I swapped out 25 IRDs a few years ago for a broadcast event company that was transitioning to DVBS2 and wanted to be as future proofed as possible. Cisco put them into 9844 units because the their support team indicated that 9865 was limited to DVBS QPSK and DVBS2 QPSK/8psk, but an optional 16APSK software upgrade was available for the 9844 model. Think the option cost an additional $800 per unit. If the 9865 can be upgraded, will Rainier be providing this function? What would the option cost?

Here are the Cisco specification links for the 9865 and 9844 units:
http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/produc ... 016667.pdf
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/produ ... 6f312c.pdf
Titanium - Brian Gohl

satdish
TVRO Retired
TVRO Retired

Post by satdish » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:09 am

Titanium wrote:
satdish wrote:
will Rainier be providing this function? What would the option cost?
I don't have paperwork about the 16APSK but seen it work in the test group. As far as Rainier allowing upgrades to the public you would need to contact them about that matter.

DirtyHarry
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by DirtyHarry » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:02 pm

satdish wrote:
Titanium wrote:
satdish wrote:
will Rainier be providing this function? What would the option cost?
I don't have paperwork about the 16APSK but seen it work in the test group. As far as Rainier allowing upgrades to the public you would need to contact them about that matter.
Fictitious

Titanium
TVRO Salesman
TVRO Salesman

Post by Titanium » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:48 pm

satdish wrote:I don't have paperwork about the 16APSK but seen it work in the test group. As far as Rainier allowing upgrades to the public you would need to contact them about that matter.
Does your D9865 receive 16APSK?
Titanium - Brian Gohl

Return to “97°W”