Loss of Transponders 1 thru 9

Discussions specifically related to master c band satellite television.
MrVideo
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

Loss of Transponders 1 thru 9

Post by MrVideo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:08 pm

No comment on the pending loss of C-Band transponders 1 thru 9 for 5G deployment and potential interference?

www.tvtechnology.com/news/will-c-band-s ... ctrum-grab

I think it really sucks.

Captain Ron
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

Re: Loss of Transponders 1 thru 9

Post by Captain Ron » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:14 pm

Its Doom and Gloom -------- People have been predicting the death of BUD Satellite TV since the 1980's and now there are more channels available on C-Band and Ku-Band today than there ever has been before.

Non Terrestrial 5G (5G on Satellite) ------- Satellite phones 'Satphones' use L-Band (1 to 2 Ghz) --- (Not C-Band or Ku Band) so C-Band on Satellites are not prime for takeover. New Satellites being placed into the TV Satellite Arc have C-Band, Ku-Band and Ka-Band transmitters, one example is the new Galaxy30 Satellite at 125W that is now doing C-Band, Ku-Band and Ka-Band, it took the place of Galaxy14 a few weeks ago as Galaxy14 had gone past its 15year life expectancy.

Terrestrial 5G (Cellphone Towers) ----- The 5G interference on BUD (C-Band) can happen if you have cellphone 5G Towers located in a Southerly direction from your home that your dish points towards. NOTE - Most all people watching BUD C-Band that are affected by 5G cellphone towers are trying to get a Satellite that is low in the sky and the dish points towards the 5G towers, keep your dish pointed away from 5G towers and point the dish at satellites high in the sky and you likely won't be affected. Ku-Band is not affected by 5G tower interference and more Satellite channels than ever are moving to Ku so if you don't have a Ku LNB then you may want to look into one.

5G filters (LNBF Filters) ---- At least one company that makes LNB's is now selling C-Band LNBF's that have an internal 5G filter that helps screen out 5G interference (they claim nearly 100% effectiveness) so if you have no choice but to have your dish aimed at 5G towers then one of those LNBF's might be what you need.

Personally I have 2 5G cellphone towers about 1mile (North) of my home and since my dish is pointed South at the Arc my dish is not affected at all. If your Dish does not point at a 5G tower you likely won't be affected either.

Good Luck!

Return to “C Band Satellite”