Reception of inclined satellites

Discussions specifically related to master c band satellite television.
parkedish
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

Reception of inclined satellites

Post by parkedish » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:34 am

Has anyone tried to tune an inclined satellite? For example, lyngsat lists NSS 7, Intelsat 905, NSS 10 as inclined. So if I understand correctly, these satellites are a few degrees away from the geo stationary arc. If I were to position my dish at the right part of the arc and manually adjust the declination, shouldn't I be able to tune them?

Anyone tried? Any interesting programming?

Captain Ron
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: Reception of inclined satellites

Post by Captain Ron » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:07 pm

I haven't messed with those inclined satellites as they are generally old (retired) TV satellites that drift out of Geostationary orbit that drift into that inclined orbit and the regular C-Band and Ku-Band TV and Radio signals are usually no longer on those old drifting satellites.

I've read that some airlines have bought the right to use those old retired (inclined satellites) because using those old retired satellites is a lot cheaper. Southwest Airlines bought access to the inclined satellites over North America and they bought and installed (Tecom KuStream 1000 Antenna Systems) SATCOM units for their entire aircraft fleet (over 500 aircraft), that antenna system can pick up Ku Band satellites and also HTS satellites for showing Videos and providing Broadband Internet with what they call "Gate to Gate connectivity" for their aircraft.

Good Luck to you in trying to do that and let us know what you find. :smile:

parkedish
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Re: Reception of inclined satellites

Post by parkedish » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:35 am

Thanks for your input. I will play around..

Return to “C Band Satellite”