Status of Weigle SD channels?

Discussions specifically related to master c band satellite television.
Gregtheham
TVRO Member
TVRO Member
Articles: 0

Status of Weigle SD channels?

Post by Gregtheham » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:37 pm

Hi,
I am still having problems receiving the Hero and Icon, Movies, and Decades Transponders. (July 2016)

Movies and Decades are 'there' but wont lock. (will pop in and out occasionally) H&I never seems to come in anymore. I have tired every dish adjustment and nothing helps. Me TV SD was ok, but with intermittent drop out..

Me TV HD is fine....

All of them use to come in with good strength, as of very early spring 2016. I had read of others having similar problem on other TVRO boards.

Running a 10ft mesh dish with an older "Gardiner 45deg" LNB...and Geosat PRO HD. Alignment for all other birds and TP's seems fine...

Can anyone else check and report back with your signal report and your location and operating conditions?

Location is Toronto area. I wonder if they have reduced power, adjusted footprint etc. or if there is coding problem (PID and FEC look ok per lyngast)

..very frustrated as its all I like to watch...
I had the contact info for a Weigle uplink tech... but cant seem to find it now...he gave me info that I have previously posted here.

tnx

tek2000
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor
TVRO Salesman / Sponsor

Re: Status of Weigle SD channels?

Post by tek2000 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:59 pm

The power did drop a bit on those, but they still lock fine on my 10ft dish just outside of Toronto. Before doing anything else, check our chart coordinates and make sure you got the right frequencies and symbol rates:

http://www.tvrosat.com/cgi-bin/charts.c ... recTV%204S

Some new transponders have been activated recently on this satellite that may be causing interference for you. I would try adjusting the skew of your LNBF to peak your signal strength for vertical polarity signals on this satellite.
Owner
http://www.tek2000.com
#1 Supplier of TVRO Satellite Equipment in North America
[email protected]
(I am not on this forum often and don't check forum PMs, so please email me for faster service)

Titanium
TVRO Salesman
TVRO Salesman

Post by Titanium » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:56 pm

Agree with Tek2000 to optimize the aiming and skew to rule out poor reception as a contributing factor. Have found that some STB chipsets are decoding these channels without issue while other chipset are momentary locking and decoding then drops. This is confirmed with a simple coax swap between STBs and PCIE tuners. Another problem is that these channels are 4MHz apart and use the same SID (1). Some STBs AFT circuitry along with automatic PID updating will overwrite the correct PIDs with the PIDs of the adjacent transponder. To overcome this problem, use a channel editor to change the SID from 1 to another unused value (example 99 or ???).

There is definitely adequate SNR on these QPSK transponders (9.5 - 14dB) using an optimized 10' dish and LNBF here in Northern California to provide the threshold for even the weakest tuners and likely a smaller dish. There is no adjacent satellite interference on these frequencies if using a 8' or larger reflector.
Titanium - Brian Gohl
He who dies with the most toys... is dead. - unknown
:beer

satdish
TVRO Retired
TVRO Retired

Post by satdish » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:14 am

All Weigel channels and muxes are playing perfect on my Rainier Cisco D9865H receiver.
I am too cheap to pay for a banner slot to hawk my products so I spam this board instead. I am intolerant of the c band community, so I belittle them under different aliases. I post fake news on the guitar man's website. Now I am no longer welcome here.

satdish
TVRO Retired
TVRO Retired

Post by satdish » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:19 am

Titanium wrote:Another problem is that these channels are 4MHz apart and use the same SID (1). Some STBs AFT circuitry along with automatic PID updating will overwrite the correct PIDs with the PIDs of the adjacent transponder. To overcome this problem, use a channel editor to change the SID from 1 to another unused value (example 99 or ???).
Channels scan in fine, no channel editor needed with the Cisco D9865H receiver.

Guess the 9865H is a big boy receiver :grin:
I am too cheap to pay for a banner slot to hawk my products so I spam this board instead. I am intolerant of the c band community, so I belittle them under different aliases. I post fake news on the guitar man's website. Now I am no longer welcome here.

cband anonymous
TVRO Retired
TVRO Retired

Post by cband anonymous » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:29 pm

satdish wrote:Channels scan in fine, no channel editor needed with the Cisco D9865H receiver.
Guess the 9865H is a big boy receiver :grin:
:yawn :zzz

Every fta receiver will pick up these channels. Even ancient ones. :oldman
GOINK GOINK GOINK
Thank you :respect Charlie for bringing us America's Top 50 HD channels for free on 97 west! Being a c-band philanthropist and giving back to the community will ensure future success. Keep up the the great work!
cband anonymous

Titanium
TVRO Salesman
TVRO Salesman

Post by Titanium » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:31 pm

Good to hear that the 9865 is stable on these services. I have confirmed that the services lock with the K1+ and TBS6983 PCIE tuner card. The ALI and Novatek based chipset STBs seem to be having the signal lock issues. For those not wanting to spend the big bucks for "a big boy receiver", even the $26 Chinese no name STB works well with locking these services. :)

Each receiver has it's strengths and weaknesses. The strengths of the 9865 in my opinion is the robust build quality and sensitive tuner. It is a great IRD for subscription and has been a tried and true IRD in distribution for many years. The weaknesses are that it is a bit old school and built for a different market segment. For me, the reason I don't use a 9865 anymore is the lack of blind scan, limited motor control (DiSEqC 1.2 call out only and no USALS), no DVR function, limited to a maximum of 8PSK, and the high cost.

I'm not putting down what works for you, but the 9865 is too basic and expensive for my hobby needs. Too many other options out there that are a better fit for my viewing. I'm not against owning the 9865 and if a channel package with popular and mainstream channels becomes available for subscription, I would certainly consider adding the IRD. :)
Titanium - Brian Gohl

satdish
TVRO Retired
TVRO Retired

Post by satdish » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi Brian hope you and your business are doing well? The 9865's main purpose is to decode the PowerVu subscription channels Rainier carries today and will be carrying. As of July 31st only Rainier will be remaining for c band programming, as SRL is closing its doors. FTA operation on the 9865 is an added benefit that subscribers can make use of without spending extra dollars on another low cost poorly built STB. The 9865 is an excellent product and does what it is suppose to do very well. It will be working well 5 years down the road due to its excellent built quality and support unlike low cost alternatives. The problem with the FTA entitlement crowd is they refuse to see the value in it. Rainier sells to the market it is intended for, legal PowerVu subscription. They don't need to stoop to claims of receiving illegal streams to attract sales of their mass produced clones, nor use bulk spam campaigns to misinform the public.

One word of advice for you Brian if the man of integrity you say you are. You shouldn't go around posting lies about things over at Snottys site under Snottys twist the truth protection in his dishrag form. Misinformation and lies just to try to make a sale will come back and bite you, just ask your good old buddy Joe.
Last edited by satdish on Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by fatso » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:28 pm

Do you know if Cisco will be making a 4K receiver any time soon? It is the next big thing and such a receiver would fly off the shelves...
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

Titanium
TVRO Salesman
TVRO Salesman

Post by Titanium » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:53 am

satdish wrote:One word of advice for you Brian if the man of integrity you say you are. You shouldn't go around posting lies about things over at Snottys site under Snottys twist the truth protection in his dishrag form. Misinformation and lies just to try to make a sale will come back and bite you, just ask your good old buddy Joe.
Lies? Are you serious? Don't be a drama queen! Here is a cut and paste of the member's question and my answer on the Satelliteguys website when specifically asked to comment on the Cisco IRD. Please point out any misinformation or truth twisting in my reply.

As in my reply above, I listed the receiver's strengths and the shortfalls as a hobbyist receiver. I don't sell receivers... How am I making a sale or benefiting from this? A member asked for my advice and I shared my truthful opinion. Why don't you assist the member and post in the thread and share your opinion of the receiver? The FTA satellite community would likely benefit from your opinions and advice.

So there is no question in your mind or anyone else reading this thread... Is the D9865H a good choice for a subscription receiver. Yes! As a primary receiver for a satellite hobbyist? Hell no!

-------

Member Question: What do you think of the Cisco commercial receiver listed on Rainer Satellite's website. It does conditional access PowerVU and FTA. It's supposed to be free of the quirks these less expensive receivers have, like the stuttering or the tuning issue with the 1200. It's like $700+bucks for the receiver.

-------
My Reply: The jacked up price of $700+ aside, the Cisco D9865H is a solid IRD for receiving subscription channels, but it is not a very good choice for a satellite hobbyist receiver. If you want to buy a new D9865H and not subscribe to channels, the D9865H can be purchased new for about $450 or used for $150. Beware, D9856H purchased elsewhere will not be authorized by Rainier.

As I have mentioned on other forums when discussing this IRD, it is well built and has a quality tuner, but it doesn't have the basic functions required by satellite hobbyists, which are included in even the cheapest FTA receivers. If there were some subscription channels available that were mainstream and of interest to me, I would buy a D9865H IRD so I could subscribe to a package. Unfortunately the 7 channels that are available for subscription are not neither mainstream or of interest to me. I would not consider buying the D9865H receiver for FTA viewing and here is a sampling of what is missing in my opinion:

Blind Scan - No
DVR - No
16APSK - No
USALS Motor Control - No
DiSEqC 1.2 Motor Control - Partial Implementation (only calls out the satellite list position number as a motor assignment number)
ACM - No
4K - No (In all fairness, 4K is not yet common on STBs, but expect it to be standard on $150 STBs within the next 4-6 months)

Hope that this information is helpful as you sift through the marketing hype, sales pitches and general BS... :D
Titanium - Brian Gohl

Return to “C Band Satellite”