New c band satellite Galaxy 30 coming to 125w in 2020

Discussions specifically related to master c band satellite television.
fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

New c band satellite Galaxy 30 coming to 125w in 2020

Post by fatso » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:57 am

We are getting a new c band satellite at 125w in about 6 months. Galaxy 30 will replace Galaxy 14.

https://www.arianespace.com/mission/ari ... ght-va253/

:bouncybouncy
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

Tags:

Dusan
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Re: New c band satellite Galaxy 30 coming to 125w in 2020

Post by Dusan » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:08 pm

Its just really great news. It launched yesterday along with some other satellites.
What really excites me about this satellite is its power output. 45.6 dBW over North America.

Small 4 foot dishes should receive good signal

Arion
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Arion » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:31 pm

Probably not. Every transponder has a link budget that they use depending on what the target audience is. The satellite operator uses the minimum power required to maintain the link with a small extra 'budget' built in for potential rain fade or other atmospheric anomalies. Power on a satellite is a finite resource and the more power that is pushed through a transponder the more the company that bought the transponder time is billed.

The satellite has the potential within the footprint to run the increased power so that is good but they aren't going to turn the taps a lot hotter unless the people that purchase the airtime are willing to pay up for it. Chances are most of the signals aren't going to be any stronger than they are already.
10' Tek C-band dish, 1.2 meter KU band dish, ASC1 mover, Octagon/Zgemma/Edison dual band STB's. Running OpenPli on all.

xRf4ZEsQF939G
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by xRf4ZEsQF939G » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:30 am

It is good to see a new bird go up that we may be able to get anyway. This point in time take any good news.

Dusan
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by Dusan » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:22 pm

Arion wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:31 pm
Probably not. Every transponder has a link budget that they use depending on what the target audience is. The satellite operator uses the minimum power required to maintain the link with a small extra 'budget' built in for potential rain fade or other atmospheric anomalies. Power on a satellite is a finite resource and the more power that is pushed through a transponder the more the company that bought the transponder time is billed.

The satellite has the potential within the footprint to run the increased power so that is good but they aren't going to turn the taps a lot hotter unless the people that purchase the airtime are willing to pay up for it. Chances are most of the signals aren't going to be any stronger than they are already.
Yea, I agree with what you're saying. I know that not every operator outputs 100% power, but in most satellites there are usually a few that do output 100%.
As an example G-17, where I live reception EIRP level is 40.6 dBW, Sat Beams recommends a 1.50 meter antenna, TvRo 2.1 meters. I still manage to catch most FTA with a 1.20 meter with conical scalar at 73% Quality.

All I'm saying is that, if this were the case with G-30, 4 foot antennas would get decent reception.
Anyway, I hope G-30 gets more transponders than what G-14 has at this moment.

Return to “C Band Satellite”