c band problem

Discussions specifically related to master c band satellite television.
rosser
Articles: 0

c band problem

Post by rosser » Sun May 16, 2021 8:49 am

hi everyone. long time reader new member her is the problem changed my scalar ring and now getting strong signal but picture breaking up ring perfectly centred f/d is good i am running a 10' unimesh tech2000 skybox f5s titanium lnbf i set f/d of scalar ring to 48 inch lnbf f/d to 40 but can not get a problem free picture across all sat's certain time's run's rock solid then goes south i have tried moving all f/d on lnb but still no luck.GETTING CLOSE TO TAKING HAMMER TO IT. THANKS 4 ANY HELP sorry can't take pictures.

belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: c band problem

Post by belter-one » Sun May 16, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi rosser,

Sorry to hear that you are having new issues after upgrading your scalar ring. More experienced people on this site might be able to help. If I had this problem, I would:

1. Reboot the receiver and see if it has any effect. You probably have already done this.
2. If not too difficult, re-install the previous scalar ring and see if the problem clears.
3. If Step 2 clears the problem, then perhaps this might help you modify the positioning of the new scalar ring to eliminate the issue.

Hope you are able to figure this out. If you find a solution, I look forward to reading it. Best of luck.

Cheers,

belter-one

Perhaps some useful information can be found from this thread? https://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thread ... do.142398/

Captain Ron
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Captain Ron » Sun May 16, 2021 10:39 pm

If you used another older LNBF before you bought the Titanium LNB then I would reinstall it onto the new scaler ring and see if it works ok, while it is very rare for an LNB or LNBF to go bad it can happen, i've read where the Titanium LNBF with Phase Loop can go bad or have a bad output (usually when LNBF's go bad its because water gets inside) which causes them to drift frequencies which will cause intermittent reception.

Also which LNBF is that Titanium that you have, is it the C-Band with two coax outputs or is it a C-Band and Ku-Band combo?

Good Luck!

rosser

Post by rosser » Mon May 17, 2021 10:39 am

i have tried different lnb's as 4 old ring it was a chaperal one it only has 1 set screw and does not centre the new lnb's very good as they are smaller old lnb is bigger and fits better old lnb has that motor that switches v/h witch no longer works as 4 titanian lnbf it's a single output C1PLL the funny i can not even get AMGTV on 97w to work good also tried different receiver's i will try again tonite THANKS FOR HELP

rosser

Post by rosser » Mon May 17, 2021 10:53 am

hey also are those measurments 4 focal distances correct also i tried old lnb (chap) one can the ring be junk got it from tech2000 with a under performing dual output lnbf when i got skybox receiver which i also tried NO LUCK thanks have a great day.

Captain Ron
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Captain Ron » Mon May 17, 2021 8:11 pm

Their is no (one focal distance fits all), the FD is measured from (just inside the end of the feed horn to the surface of the dish) and so the focal distance can vary based on your size of the dish and also the type of BUD dish as some BUD dishes are shallow cupped and some BUD dishes are deeply cupped so it depends on what you have. If you saw a 40" FD or whatever on the internet that was likely what someone wrote as an (Example) from their dish but it may not be right for yours, you are really better off (hand tuning) the LNB/LNBF to your own dish.

If you have a Satellite finder the best way to tune the LNB/LNBF focal distance is by hand. The best Satellite to use for tuning a BUD dish is a Satellite directly South of you that you know has TV channels that you can watch (FTA channels are best) as they are not scrambled. The website www. dishpointer dot com is a free website that you can find your location on the map and the satellite south of you then click (Search) and it will show you a map and dish tuning information like (dish elevation, Dish Azimuth and LNB skew to that Satellite) to help you with settings for the tuning. (( Green line to the Satellite on the map means you can get the Satellite, a Red line means the Satellite is too far East or West below the Horizon for where you live ))

I don't know what kind of Satellite finder you have but this will give you a basic on tuning the LNB/LNBF and elevation on the dish.

1. Connect your Satellite finder (at the LNB/LNBF) with a short coax (6ft long works well) to the C-Band LNB/LNBF and set it to the Satellite and TP and Channel that your dish is aimed at if it is a more expensive model it will have the Satellites and TP's preloaded into memory, cheap Satellite finders only show a power level so if that is what you have then you must use that.

2. With the Satellite finder powered up and working then very slowly push in and pull out the LNB in the scaler ring to find the highest signal level (peak the signal) and then and then slightly tighten the screw or screws to hold it in place.

3. You then need to set the skew, you can hand tune the skew by gently rotating the LNB/LNBF to the right or left to the highest signal, if you feel that you may have bumped the FD setting then then double check the FD (gently pull out or push in on the LNB/LNBF) to check that it didn't get bumped out of alignment (they sometimes do).

4. Once you have peaked the signal as high as it will go in both the FD and Skew then firmly tighten the scaler ring screw or screws to lock the LNB in place. (( when done I like to use a ink pen or fine tipped marker and make two marks in a + to save the FD depth and skew on the feedhorn and scaler ring where they meet which saves it as permanent marks just in case I make changes later. ))

5. To check your dish tuning (Elevation and Azimuth) on that South Satellite, (with Satellite finder running) firmly lift up on the bottom edge of the dish and then push down on the dish and see if the signal is stronger doing either of these, if the dishes elevation is correct the Sat signal will get weaker when lifting up and pushing down and strongest when released. If you do not have a dish motor to move the BUD dish E and W and it is locked in place on a Satellite location you can check Azimuth by pushing firmly on the RH side and LH side of the dish to see if the signal gets stronger, with a motor you can just bump the dish with the remote. The Bud dish will then be centered on the Satellite.

Hope this helps you! Good Luck!

rosser

Post by rosser » Tue May 18, 2021 12:06 am

thanks guys here is what i forgot to say it's not a signal issue got great signal it just breaks up or pixelates some runs good for awhile then goes south. it breaks up bad certain times of the day really bad like unwatchable. i just tried for over a hour to tune lnbf no luck. i got the focal distance from a unimesh manual i am trying to tune on my true south sat witch is 97 w witch is also my longatube

tvroadmin
TVRO Administrator
TVRO Administrator
Articles: 1

Post by tvroadmin » Tue May 18, 2021 1:03 am

Your problem is likely that the apparent phase center of your feed isn't coinciding with the geometrical focal point of the parabolic reflector. Different LNBFs, LNBs, scalars, horns and configurations will have different apparent phase centers. To rectify the problem, get up on a ladder and manually move the feed around until it registers maximum gain. Once you know the optimum location, you will have to retrofit the struts to hold the feed in this precise location.

Never assume that a new LNBF/feed is bad because it registers very little gain when placed in the same location as the old LNBF/feed. In the old days, the manufacturer of the dish also provided a matching feed, so there were few issues.
Administrator
([email protected])

Return to “C Band Satellite”