Offset Ku dish question.

Discussions specifically related to master ku band satellite television.
belter-one
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

Offset Ku dish question.

Post by belter-one » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:41 pm

Hello,

I am finally deploying an offset Ku dish purchased some time ago. My very basic question is:

* In a prime focus dish, i.e. a 10 foot dish, the sky containing the Clarke belt must be clear in order to acquire adequate signal.
* In a 4 foot Ku offset dish, will the same clear sky containing the Clarke belt provide the same signal needed, or does the sky for an offset dish need to be line-of-sight clear, which would be very difficult?

Good to know before I pour concrete :-),

belter-one

fatso
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Re: Offset Ku dish question.

Post by fatso » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Clear line of site always helps. If not possible, steer you bud to the most popular ku sats and check for obstructions by looking from the rear of the dish. The most popular ku sats are: 125w, 113w, 103w (very popular), 99w, 97w, 91w, 87w, 67w. Sporadic programming on the rest, so just make sure you are unobstructed for those mentioned.
12ft Mesh Dish
C-Band Enthusiast since 1983

Signality
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by Signality » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:42 am

if you can't get clear line of sight with prime focus, you won't get it with offset either

Captain Ron
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Captain Ron » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:37 am

Nothing is going to help if you are fighting (solid objects) like a hillside or buildings or houses but if you are talking about tree limbs, etc. that are blocking part of the satellite arc then just get out there with a saw and cut some limbs or if its on your neighbors then talk to them about letting you do some trimming. You never know, (they might have been wanting the entire tree or bushes cut down already, never know without asking).

Good Luck!

Return to “Ku Band Satellite”