OTA Market ; Fresno, Ca.

Discussion of OTA television stations in your specific town or city.
jess76
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru
Articles: 0

OTA Market ; Fresno, Ca.

Post by jess76 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:37 pm

As you all know I'm in the middle of California[by Modesto]. I watch a lot of OTA out of Fresno, and seems like that market is getting ready for the transition to 3.0 digital. There has been a re-shuffle of ch's and maby an increase of power or transmitter alignment. I did put up a couple of new antennas uhf and a hi-vhf. I have read info on the new3.0 and it is about as confusing as health care. Just wondering if anyone else has seen changes. The Sacramento transmitters are closer[55mi], but the ch. lineup is more diverse out of Fresno[90mi]. There is a transmitter at 130mi that is coming in much of the time. Jess out in California
9' mesh with c/ku feed horn,lnb's w/polorotor. Recievers hooked up: AZ prem hd., Pansat9500,and Manhattan. I have a few others in my colection including an old Satcruiser and a Captiveworks3000.

Glenn
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Re: OTA Market ; Fresno, Ca.

Post by Glenn » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:55 pm

jess76 wrote:As you all know I'm in the middle of California[by Modesto]. I watch a lot of OTA out of Fresno, and seems like that market is getting ready for the transition to 3.0 digital. There has been a re-shuffle of ch's and maby an increase of power or transmitter alignment. I did put up a couple of new antennas uhf and a hi-vhf. I have read info on the new3.0 and it is about as confusing as health care. Just wondering if anyone else has seen changes. The Sacramento transmitters are closer[55mi], but the ch. lineup is more diverse out of Fresno[90mi]. There is a transmitter at 130mi that is coming in much of the time. Jess out in California
Sun is shining, and I am trying get all the vehicle chains separated and ready for possible snow next week! (Arctic Blast, they are calling it). Take a break, and see you are informing us of a new development. What is '3 digital' ? You state you are somewhat confused. I have never even heard of the stuff. A couple winters ago, I stood in lines of people in wee hours of mornings to purchase extra TV's for next to nothing. Replaced the old antenna. Is this new technology going to mean I have to get a newer, up to date antenna? And how about the TV's? I did a scan about a week ago, and we have more stations, than ever, that we can pick up at this location. A lot of it is religious, as usual, but there are some that are in Spanish, and not all the stations are religious. And there are lots of stations that I really enjoy now! You seem quite up to date on this stuff. How come I do not see any outside TV antennas, but yet, I think you can pick up 69 stations here! Indoor antennas don't work worth beans with all the houses and buildings in this town now, unless you live on a roof, in a tree, or something. The channels are from 12-49. Even some new ones under channel 12 are brand new. They just keep 'popping up'! But where is the market? I have to rotate (I do have a rotor on it) the antenna straight at the two story house next door (a little to the WNW) to get them all, in one shot! The signals are bouncing all over the place once you get up to about 15 feet above ground. A number of them are straight south of here, over 50 miles. Some are brand new, in town. But where is the market? You ever hear of anyone that watches regular TV in their house? I don't anymore! They are all hooked up to subscription services and complaining about the costs. But yet; more free TV! So educate me please. I simply seem unable to keep up with all the changes now a days. I think I am up to date one day, then the next day, my stuff is obsolete! I don't even know what a 'SMART' TV is !! Guess it has wi-fi, and stuff I never heard of! :smile:

Later.
Glenn

jess76
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by jess76 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Glenn; There is a new ATSC 3.0 coming that is not compatable with the 1.0 that OTA uses now. The info that I have read about it is confusing. Check out Ventura Broadcasting Co. in Fresno, Ca. There are probably other "Markets" in larger cities. Their AD target is local so the cost is way less . This is the way TV used to be supported. Local businesses advertising on local TV. The stations from Fresno and Sacramento come in good due to no mountains in the way. The transmitters from Fresno are 90miles away and the ones from Sacramento are 55 miles. There is one at 130 miles on "Big Baldy" near Sequoia Nat. park that comes in most of the time. Others from San Francisco and Montery are sporadic I Installed a couple of antennas[uhf and hi-vhf] a little over a month ago along with an amp and rotor attached to the side of my heat/air unit on the roof. There is a lot of stuff out there. Sure there are duplicates carried on different ch's from different cities, and a lot of Spanish. Should have taken more Spanish, but I have the basics; what time is it , where is the bathroom and when do we eat! Back to the 3.0. From what I have read, seems with 3.0 it will be eaiser to combine OTA iptv and portorable devises. Jess out in California
9' mesh with c/ku feed horn,lnb's w/polorotor. Recievers hooked up: AZ prem hd., Pansat9500,and Manhattan. I have a few others in my colection including an old Satcruiser and a Captiveworks3000.

Glenn
TVRO Member
TVRO Member

Post by Glenn » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:13 am

Ok Jess. Thanks. I am not going to get excited about it then.

Glenn

Captain Ron
TVRO Guru
TVRO Guru

Post by Captain Ron » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:33 am

Part of what the ATSC 3.0 will do is put 4k tv on OTA rooftop antennas but right now there are only a few channels in big cities for testing at this time. Also only a hand full of TV's being sold have an ATSC 3.0 Tuner in them and there are some companies getting ready to come out with (ATSC 3.0 STB's /Set top boxes) like they did back when Digital came out some years ago and replaced Analog TV.

If you are in or near a big city like LA or NYC, Philadelphia, etc you probably have a couple channels in ATSC 3.0 and 4k but if you are near small cities (under 1 million population) you probably don't have it yet.

Return to “OTA Markets and Stations”